logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jonathan F  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2018 11:39:58 AM(UTC)
Jonathan F

Groups: Registered

Kind of weird problem. I have vmix on a desktop with a i5 processor and 16 gig ram and everything is working properly. I have a much higher powered laptop with a i7 64gig ram and a quadro k1100 graphics cardthat works great with all other stuff on vmix. But when I add may NDI NewTek spark it is very laggy. My PTZ optics camera has the same problem over NDI but not usb. I would think it was the network but it works on my lower PC just fine. And in the NewTek monitor app it looks perfect no lag.
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2018 11:47:29 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
You did not mention the most important things when it comes to NDI : network config !
Are you using the Spark wirelessly? What is your network speed ? and so on...
Jonathan F  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2018 12:30:14 PM(UTC)
Jonathan F

Good point. I’m using a netgear pro series unmanaged gigabyte switch with snooping and multicast. Everything is over Ethernet with cat 6 cables. Do you need more info
zenvideo  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2018 12:59:42 PM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Jonathan F wrote:
I have a much higher powered laptop with a i7 64gig ram and a quadro k1100 graphics card...

It may be more powerful, overall, but what if the NDI|HX decoding is done by a single CPU core? How does the clock speed differ between the desktop i5 CPU and the mobile i7? An i3 with a fast clock speed can sometimes outperform an i7 on single-threaded tasks, given that CPUs with fewer cores often have higher clock speeds than CPUs of a similar series that have more cores on the die. Just a thought.
kane  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2018 10:17:37 PM(UTC)
kane

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 94 post(s)
Jonathan F wrote:
Good point. I’m using a netgear pro series unmanaged gigabyte switch with snooping and multicast. Everything is over Ethernet with cat 6 cables. Do you need more info

Maybe a typo, the switch is unmanaged but offers features like IGMP snooping? Sounds like a managed switch.

If it is working in NDI Studio Monitor on this system, but not in another application it sounds like the Spark and network are correct, and you are running into an application issue. Are you running latest version of vMix? NDI|HX can take advantage of GPU hardware accelerated decoding, perhaps make sure you GPU drivers are up to date? Does the laptop offer switchable GPU support? If so, makes sure the application is using the better GPU.

Kane Peterson
NewTek