logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mgrayeb  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2018 9:35:47 PM(UTC)
mgrayeb

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I tried to bring in a vMix Call guest tonight to do a "teaser" live video to promote a live chat on Monday. The guest was on a MacBook (not sure what version or what OS) using Safari. He entered his code and name on vMixcall.com and then saw (if I recall correctly what he described) a blue and green screen and I never got a notification that he connected. I then sent him a different code for vMix Call to try again, but he experienced the same thing, so I brought him in via Zoom (using desktop capture) instead. That worked fine but I would prefer to use vMix Call because I think the audio is less compressed.

Should I have had him try to use Chrome even though he was on a Mac?

Is it likely that his Safari browser wasn't up to date? Unfortunately, we didn't have time to troubleshoot tonight so I will do so before the show on Monday.

Any suggestions that might help beyond checking the browser version of Safari? Do vMix Calls via Chrome on MacBooks work? Are there some Firewall settings on a MacBook to check and/or turn off?

Thanks for any suggestions.
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 2:25:09 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
NEVER EVER plan something you've never done before ON PRODUCTION

Here's what you should have done before:

- Read the documentation
- Checked the Knowledge Base
- Checked the forum
- Asked Google
- Test
- Test again
- Test again just to make sure

If you'd done that, you would not be here today to ask but eventually to help others... and you would have been successful yesterday.

Guillaume
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
mjgraves on 4/17/2018(UTC)
mgrayeb  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 7:03:54 AM(UTC)
mgrayeb

DWAM wrote:
NEVER EVER plan something you've never done before ON PRODUCTION

Here's what you should have done before:

- Read the documentation
- Checked the Knowledge Base
- Checked the forum
- Asked Google
- Test
- Test again
- Test again just to make sure

If you'd done that, you would not be here today to ask but eventually to help others... and you would have been successful yesterday.

Guillaume

Thanks for your reply Guillaume. I had read the documentation but as I'm not a Mac user, I apparently misunderstood when I read "in Safari on iOS" and thought that all Macs use iOS as the operating system. I didn't see anything in the Knowledge Base on this, and when I Googled using vMix Call and Safari, I read the thread in this User Group. I find that sometimes I don't know the right questions to ask, and thus end up searching with the wrong questions when searching. As a result, I've found that asking questions in this group has been very helpful because users can point out the right questions to ask/consider.

I do appreciate your recommendation to test, test, test.

By the way, my guest was someone I know and was coming in via Mac (he's the only one I know on a Mac so I guess this was my first "test" with a Mac) but he was pressed for time. Fortunately, given that I had a Plan B (Zoom/Desktop Capture) that worked fine, it was a success.

I also appreciate anyone else's suggestions/input relative to the questions I asked in my post.
ovinas  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 8:27:16 AM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
WebRTC was integrated with macOS High Sierra. So he needs at least this OS version to use vMix Call.
TuesdaysLive  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 9:29:47 AM(UTC)
TuesdaysLive

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Safari will work with vMixCall.
The version of Safari, at least in my direct testing this morning, is 11.1. The system it was tested with is an iMac, running Sierra (10.12.6) - (not High Sierra).

I suspect that the problem experienced had to do with the browser not being updated.

If need be, I'd be happy to conduct a quick test with you, allowing you to confirm your system configuration and verify my results.

Incidentally, WebRTC support was added to Safari starting with version 11.
mgrayeb  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 6:20:18 PM(UTC)
mgrayeb

Thank you ovinas and TuesdaysLive.

I'm going to find out what OS my guest is using on his Mac and what version of Safari (and see if he can update that version if necessary). I'm also going to have him try using Chrome on his Mac.

Have either of you had any experience with guests coming into vMix Call on a Mac using Chrome instead of Safari? Thanks again.
TuesdaysLive  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 6:23:03 PM(UTC)
TuesdaysLive

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
The latest version of Chrome will work fine on a Mac, when using vMix.
The main thing to remember is that the caller must give permissions to access the camera and microphone.

Of course, it should go without saying, for best results always connect via hard-wire and not wireless.
thanks 1 user thanked TuesdaysLive for this useful post.
mgrayeb on 4/15/2018(UTC)