logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ittaidv  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 6, 2018 6:20:19 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Groups: Registered
Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
It would be nice if, as an option, we could set templates which are limited to optimal scenarios in vMix.

Let's say I have a simple i5 quadcore machine with a gtx 1050. I rent it out, or borrow it, or leave it as a demo unit for people to try out. Or perhaps, I sell a computer to a client, so he can do some productions himself.

I know the limitations of the hardware, but the people who use it don't immediatly know. If they start multicording, while streaming, or use a codec which is way too fast for the harddisk, they might think vMix is a bad piece of software, or the hardware they got from me is poorly built.

I recently got my hands on a laptop, used by people who wanted to experiment, and saw the horrible recording they did on it: hundreds of frames lost, choppy video. These guys, tried to record 10 bit AVI on a 5800 rpm harddrive. They obviously didn't find their way to the statistics yet, so this was not the best first experience for them yet. Often I also see people interpreet the features of vMix as 'not limited by hardware'. And often it takes a lot of time to explain them why they can't do some stuff with certain machines, because you need to over load them with terms they never heard of.

For these occasions, I would like to see 'limited templates'. This way, I can check a few boxes of all things this machine should be able to do at the same time, and perhaps in a few different scenarios. Perhaps also limit the use of some codecs on some machines, or create some 'optimal usage scenario's' like for example :

- 5 inputs, 2 program recordings, 1 stream, 1 multicorder
- 4 inputs, 1 program recording, 1 stream, 3 multicorders
etc..

This will give inexperienced users a great first experience with the software, and guarantees a smooth end result.

I think this would be a great feature for all resellers out there, folks who rent out there kit once in a while, or people who work in enviroments like churches or sports clubs, where volunteers help them out.

I don't think those scenarios should be forced to users, but for example a warning can be given when they leave 'scenario mode' to the full unlimited vMix experience.