logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Rinsky  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 4, 2018 12:24:39 PM(UTC)
Rinsky

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Hello,

does anyone know if there are plans for a 4 or 8 input SDI to NDI converter 19" rack panel? Maybe even with NDI 4-8 SDI outputs

Something similar to the Newtek NC1 I/O panel, but hardware based and without the recording functionality.

Anyone heard of something like this?

There is of course the possibilty to use 4 to 8 birddogs for this...but that's clunky and actually too expensive.

But for 4in/4out or 8in (with up to 4K60p) for ~2000$(?) would be a great deal and would make any new PCI capture cards irrelevant.

Really hope that something like this will be announced at NAB this year.
kane  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 5, 2018 12:33:19 AM(UTC)
kane

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 94 post(s)
Your description is exactly what a NewTek NC1 IO unit is. 8 input/outputs independently configurable and supports up to 4K60p in a 1RU rackmount format factor. Not $2000, but that is unrealistic for what you are asking.

Kane Peterson
NewTek
rowby  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 5, 2018 8:18:39 AM(UTC)
rowby

Man

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
kane wrote:
Your description is exactly what a NewTek NC1 IO unit is. 8 input/outputs independently configurable and supports up to 4K60p in a 1RU rackmount format factor. Not $2000, but that is unrealistic for what you are asking.

Kane Peterson
NewTek

Hi Rinsky. Here’s the pricing on the Newtek NCI IO. https://www.bhphotovideo...r001_nc1_i_o_studio.html

...Rowby.
MartLeib  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 5, 2018 8:43:21 AM(UTC)
MartLeib

Estonia

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Build PC with DeckLink Duo 2, put it in Rack case (2U for example), get vMix license, create default vMix preset which has all 4 DeckLink inputs, enable NDI output on camera inputs, start vMix with Windows. You now have created 4 channel SDI to NDI converter. Add second DeckLink Duo 2 or instead use Quad 2 and you have 8 channels.

You're not streaming, recording etc. with this PC, so it doesn't have to be hardcore. If you want, you could even use Multicorder to record those channels locally. You should be able to get this package around 2K.
JAIRODJ  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 5, 2018 12:26:37 PM(UTC)
JAIRODJ

Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 12 post(s)
On the Zenvideo page, there is an "NDIZender" application that allows transforming the SDI signal from magewell captors to NDI signal.
Maybe this is an alternative to create a NDI signal capture and distribution center.

http://www.zenvideo.co.uk/ndi.htm
thanks 1 user thanked JAIRODJ for this useful post.
rowby on 4/5/2018(UTC)
livepad  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 5, 2018 1:14:18 PM(UTC)
livepad

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Rinsky wrote:
Hello,

does anyone know if there are plans for a 4 or 8 input SDI to NDI converter 19" rack panel? Maybe even with NDI 4-8 SDI outputs

Something similar to the Newtek NC1 I/O panel, but hardware based and without the recording functionality.

Anyone heard of something like this?

There is of course the possibilty to use 4 to 8 birddogs for this...but that's clunky and actually too expensive.

But for 4in/4out or 8in (with up to 4K60p) for ~2000$(?) would be a great deal and would make any new PCI capture cards irrelevant.

Really hope that something like this will be announced at NAB this year.

http://www.sienna-tv.com/ndi/ndi-source-multi.html
http://www.sienna-tv.com/ndi/ndi-outlet-multi.html

UserPostedImage
kane  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 5, 2018 2:53:38 PM(UTC)
kane

MartLeib wrote:
Build PC with DeckLink Duo 2, put it in Rack case (2U for example), get vMix license, create default vMix preset which has all 4 DeckLink inputs, enable NDI output on camera inputs, start vMix with Windows. You now have created 4 channel SDI to NDI converter. Add second DeckLink Duo 2 or instead use Quad 2 and you have 8 channels.

You're not streaming, recording etc. with this PC, so it doesn't have to be hardcore. If you want, you could even use Multicorder to record those channels locally. You should be able to get this package around 2K.

None of those IO cards support 4K60p which was one of his listed features in the original post.

Kane Peterson
NewTek
rowby  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 5, 2018 6:47:18 PM(UTC)
rowby

Man

JAIRODJ wrote:
On the Zenvideo page, there is an "NDIZender" application that allows transforming the SDI signal from magewell captors to NDI signal.
Maybe this is an alternative to create a NDI signal capture and distribution center.

http://www.zenvideo.co.uk/ndi.htm

There are several interesting NDI goodies on the above link. I suggest everyone check them out!

Rowby
Rinsky  
#9 Posted : Friday, April 6, 2018 5:43:23 AM(UTC)
Rinsky

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Thanks for all the replys, but I am looking for a purely hardware based solution, I think all of these have Windows running in the background and need some time to boot up and configure and also have functions that I actually don't need (like the recording function on the NC1).

I know that another Windows PC with Vmix running on it would be probably the cheapest solution, but I am really looking for a simple plug and play converter device (like all the SDI to HDMI converters). Power the device, plug in the network cable and the SDI signale and then use these signals on all machines on the network.

I found followin solutions:

http://sports-online.cz/...o-en/ndiaio-2k2xsdi.html

Looks like this device can capture and convert 2 SDI signals, but unfortunately not in 4K.

It looks like that not even the Connect Spark can convert 4K. Is there even a 4K NDI hardware converter on the market right now?

Oh and yes, 2000$ was probably a little low, but 10K for a NC1 is also way to much for my purposes.
rowby  
#10 Posted : Friday, April 6, 2018 6:52:52 AM(UTC)
rowby

Man

Maybe a less expensive hardwear solution will show up at the upcoming NAB convention.

Anyone going to the event please keep an eye open for such a device.

Rowby
kane  
#11 Posted : Friday, April 6, 2018 2:00:16 PM(UTC)
kane

rowby wrote:
Maybe a less expensive hardwear solution will show up at the upcoming NAB convention.

Anyone going to the event please keep an eye open for such a device.

Rowby

I'm sure you will hear about anything new announced.

Kane Peterson
NewTek