logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
meryan00  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 19, 2013 9:48:12 AM(UTC)
meryan00

Groups: Registered

I am about to do a new build for a video mixing and recording system. I would love any input on some questions that i have not been able to find out with my current hardware and trial. To make it easier I tried to put a dash in front of each question.
I have a classroom that I plan on building a custom computer for, hardware is not a concern for the most part.However I will have at least 16GB of RAM, so question 1:
-Does vMix use all of the ram in the 64-bit system?

I will be building the computer with 4 HDMI inputs, 2 SDI inputs and 2 HDMI outputs(excluding video card for my two screens). My concern is about using two HDMi outputs to venue screens in addition to the two screens I will be using for normal computer use. The two HDMI outputs will be running all the time each from one of 4 HDMI input computers which I assume will not be a problem, as i might need to switch those during the session
-Can I use with 2 video out from vMix each with different sources while running dual screens off the video card for PC use?
-Am I able to record the two HDMI outputs at the same time, even if using a lower bitrate(since it is mostly powerpoint)

The reason my computer will have 2 SDI inputs is for both cameras to be brought in, and then streamed out to a Adobe Connect Meeting. the camera will never be outputted to the venue screens.
-will vMix be able to handle one stream encode with embedded audio while also doing all the above recording and mixing?

-And the final thing that concerns me that I can think of right now, is that my courses are 8 hours long, with 2-2.5 hour constant stretches wiht a 10 minute break in between, can anyone forsee any issues there?
johnparrack  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 20, 2013 4:32:28 AM(UTC)
johnparrack

HI , I think Martin will answer better,

I myself have an I7 Pc running 64bit Win7, 10gig ram, with a BM Duo and a BM3d Extreme card to take my external inputs.
I find recording and the external output very stable for long durations. I stream darts events, and usually run for 8-10 hrs.
The record will split every Xgig/minutes, but all files line up in a NLE timeline without any issues.
I take audio and my analogue mixer in via the 3d Extreme and have no delay issues.

Vmix as far as i'm aware will use your GPU and not your cpu.. i generally find it runs very well, even off my motherboard graphics card gpu and not an external all singing and dancing...but I am only using SD, think it may be different for processing HD..i shall see shortly as i move over to hd
soundsinvision  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 24, 2013 7:04:15 AM(UTC)
soundsinvision

I really like the look of vMix and its feature set so am working on speccing up a PC to run it (2u rack jobby), 8Gb RAM.

Question on the screens front - if I get a standard video card (for the flatscreen to control it - e.g. an Nvidia one with 1gb ram onboard), then something like a Black Magic Design Intensity to handle the HDMI in/out (1 of each) + analog inputs, will vMix use the processing on the Black Magic or NVIDIA cards?
And is it a combination that'll work, as I don't want to invest about £1k (incl 4tb WD Black drive) in a machine to find it won't be happy with this mix. Input(s) will be 1 HDMI for now + one or two SD now, output on VGA as I don't own a second HDMI projector at the moment.
Egriswold  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 24, 2013 5:10:00 PM(UTC)
Egriswold

Man
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 32 post(s)
I would recommend takeing a look at the Supported Hardware page http://www.vmix.com.au/supported-hardware.aspx
I use Nvidia GFX 620 or 630 with 2 gig DDR3 and they work very well ($140.00) range. I like these because there easly found in single slot form factor (Zotac or EVGA) so I don't give up a potential input slot.