logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
north_beach  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 22, 2018 7:34:28 PM(UTC)
north_beach

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi, I'm testing vmixcall to conduct interviews in different parts of the city.

For this I use cell phone with android, perform the same test with several cell phones and with all I get similar results the image looks very pixelated, I have no quality difference between 360p or 1080p (the tests were made with wifi 10mb and 4g) the vr . of Chrome that I use is 64.0.32

The tests you do with laptops with integrated cameras or webcam look very good, the problem is only with cell phones

I hope you can help me.

Greetings to all!

rowby  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 25, 2018 4:19:12 AM(UTC)
rowby

Man

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Hi North Beach

I don’t have the answer for you. But if you check this Tom Sinclair Streaming Idiots YouTube video you can see about halfway through that a cell phone is being used for the vMix Call. I am not sure if vMix Call user is using an android or an iPhone. But check out the video. Maybe you’ll have some clues.

Rowby
mjgraves  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 26, 2018 3:18:59 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Too many variables to offer a useful answer. Cell phones vary in their capabilities. Some have good cameras, some not so good. Some have powerful CPUs, so not so much. Then there's the network performance, which is highly variable.

vMix Call requires considerable CPU since there's not hardware acceleration of video encoding in most cell phones. An older or budget phone may not deliver the goods.

I've been happy with the results using a Pixel.
matteoarrigone  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 27, 2018 11:45:39 AM(UTC)
matteoarrigone

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi north_beach,

I have got the same problem: when I use a Oneplus 5 (4g or wifi is the same) the quality is low. When I use an old IPhone 6 the quality is really higher than before (720p). I also changed the web-browser (chrome and Firefox and safari on the iPhone) but the quality with the android phone (with android 8) is low.

Matteo
rowby  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 27, 2018 2:40:33 PM(UTC)
rowby

Man

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Hi

It might be a good idea for those who are successfully using cell phones to start a faq of which cell Phones and models (and other specs) are providing good results with vMix Call.

Such a faq would be in the Kmowledge Base and continually updated. It would not just be a list, but with comments on each “vMix-worthy” cell phone.

Even though there may be other variables that come into play — starting with a “good” cell phone would provide the foundation of vMix cellphone-based Calls.

Rowby
mjgraves  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 27, 2018 3:29:10 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
My Google Pixel successfully sends 640x480 @ 30 f/s over a vMix call while on my local Wi-Fi.

Both front and back cameras.

UserPostedImage

Incidentally, nowhere will you find any assurances that vMix Call will deliver HD video from mobile phones. I can work, but it isn't guaranteed to work. there are simply too many variables.

Consider for example the NDI Camera application. It delivers good quality video from my Pixel, but it needs VERY robust Wi-Fi, and the phone heats up a lot. It draws the battery down very quickly because it's so CPU intensive.

vMix Call is fantastically convenient, but does it's best using a traditional computer (even a cheap Chromebook) as a client.
thanks 1 user thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
rowby on 2/27/2018(UTC)