logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MediamanNYC  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 1, 2018 3:35:19 PM(UTC)
MediamanNYC

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have a few cheap outdoor 10x optical PTZ CCTV cameras that have this function. They are security cameras at my residence. On its web page or VMS client software you can turn on a function called 3D Zoom. Basically you can click on any point in the video image and the camera will move to center that point in the frame. You can also click and expand a box on any portion of the video frame and the camera will not only move to center but also zoom in on the highlighted region proportionally.

At my job I manage a couple of PTZOptics cameras setup with vMix for a multicam shoot in a training room. Using the vMix PTZ controls or even the direct PTZ controls on the camera web interface can be clunky and slow at times. I great function in vMix would be this click-to-zoom function!
The PTZOptics cameras are very quick to react to presets. It would be great to be able to click and highlight a target or region on the program or preview windows panes and have the currently displayed camera quickly move to and zoom in on the target. I already checked with PTZOptics and they had no considerations for such a function as they did not see a demand for it right now. I am wondering if such a function can be implemented in vMix?

John
PopisDad  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 4, 2018 7:40:44 AM(UTC)
PopisDad

Great suggestion! Would you be able to offer up more information on the cameras you have that currently offer this feature? We are currently working with a PTZ camera manufacturer that has face recognition software that will follow presenters and “classroom’ features that will zoom into a student who stands up from a seated position for example. Maybe we can collaborate via this forum to present a more detailed request to the guys at vMix, as I am unsure how much of this requested would be governed by the features of the PTZ hardware/firmware and what vMix could be able to contribute?
MediamanNYC  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 6, 2018 10:46:40 AM(UTC)
MediamanNYC

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hello Popis,

This is a link to the camera I purchased on ebay. I thought the price was very reasonable for an outdoor PTZ IPcam with its capabilities.

https://www.ebay.com/itm...90c58:g:uvoAAOSwyXNZ80mw

It has pretty good web interface. It is 1080p output at 25 frames. The video is sharp and clear and smooth. It is ONVIF and RTSP compatible so it can work with with quite a few VMS programs. I use 4 of them around the exterior of the house in combination with 4 other Foscam fixed cameras going into an 8 channel Foscam NVR. The Foscam NVR cannot control PTZ on these cameras because they are not compatible with the Foscam protocol but it can record the video from them. I can control PTZ from the web interface for the PTZ cams or from a VMS program called 'ivms-4200'made by a company called Hikvision. The software works perfectly with the PTZ cams managing all their functions including the '3D Zoom' (Click to Zoom) function. It functions as a secondary VMS system to the Foscam NVR. I am not sure if Hikvision makes these cameras though. To be honest, i am not sure who the base manufacturer is. The camera design seems to be claimed by a few different makers.
Anyway, it is truely a handy feature to be able to click and expand a selection box on the video image and watch the camera Pan, tilt and zoom in on the region. By the way, this is not digital zoom, although that is available also with a roll of the mouse scroll wheel. This is real optical zooming up to 10x. Of course the camera also has programmable built in presets, up to 256 for preset PTZ positions as well as programed timed "patrol" moves.
When I get the time, I may try and see if vMix can read the RTSP feed from the camera. The PTZ commands may be a standard in the ONVIF protocol.

At any rate, I think the Click-to-Zoom feature would be a great addition to vMix if it can be done.

vMix is already very compatible with the PTZOptics line of cameras. I wonder how much of a stretch could it be to translate mouse highlights on the preview or program monitor windows into PTZ commands for the PTZOptics cameras.