logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
spencerm24  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 10:46:16 AM(UTC)
spencerm24

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I know we have playlist options currently, but as far as I can tell it isn't useful for overlays, is it possible to have a rotating sequence of overlays that automatically advance, without changing the background layer? I'm trying to have a graphic overlay with sponsors continually rotate, the catch is I need the text on the slides to update with each graphic, so I'm using an excel link, with say cell A1 on sponsor 1, A2 on sponsor 2, A3 on sponsor 3 etc, otherwise I'd just create an alpha video with the logos rotating. In this instance, overlay playlist is very useful.
Argo82  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 1, 2018 11:45:54 AM(UTC)
Argo82

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
When you create your template in Title Designer, bring the sponsor graphic you want to change in via "Add Image". That will set the sponsor graphic as a variable which can be changed via data sources just like the text fields. Set a column in your excel file for the path and filename for each sponsor graphic and set that as the source. When the data source updates, the sponsor graphic and text will change, but the background image will stay the same. I hear people are doing this to assign player head shots to lower thirds.

Would this help?

spencerm24  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 1, 2018 1:53:24 PM(UTC)
spencerm24

Argo82 wrote:
When you create your template in Title Designer, bring the sponsor graphic you want to change in via "Add Image". That will set the sponsor graphic as a variable which can be changed via data sources just like the text fields. Set a column in your excel file for the path and filename for each sponsor graphic and set that as the source. When the data source updates, the sponsor graphic and text will change, but the background image will stay the same. I hear people are doing this to assign player head shots to lower thirds.

Would this help?

That would work for part of what I'm doing. The other reason I asked about this feature is i'm trying to replicate a grahpic like the one in this video

?t=1h37m12s

Where the 4 lines on the right side of the top scoreboard updates to show the entire list of competitors and where they are running. I have software that outputs an excel data file updated every 30 seconds, so I'd simply make 10 graphical overlays with positions 1-4 on the first one, 5-8 on the second one, 9-12 on the third one, etc, and have it scroll by automatically. so I'd need something to cycle the pages automatically so I'm not advancing them every 5 seconds manually, which would be distracting and annoying when trying to do other things on the show.

Is this possible? any way to make this happen?
Argo82  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2018 10:04:47 AM(UTC)
Argo82

There maybe better ways to do this, but this is one way I worked out so far:

Make one title template with however many text fields you want in it.
Under the settings for your excel spreadsheet in data sources, "Convert rows to columns". (may look a bit messy but this lets you assign each cell to a text field)
Open 10 copies of the title (one each for 1-4, 5-8, 9-12, etc)
Assign each column to the data source of each text field.

Now for the playlist part:
On the main screen of vMix, click the cog next to Playlist
Select "New Playlist" and give it a name.
On the left list, select the titles you want to cycle through and put them in the list to the right.
Double click each playlist item to set their duration, transition and display type (which would be one of the Overlays).
Check the "Loop" box at the bottom of the list.

BTW, this playlist option would work for your sponsor graphics as well, but I don't know if you can run multiple playlists at the same time. Maybe someone could answer that.

A bit fiddily, but not too complicated. There may be easier/cleaner ways but this worked for me.

-Mark

spencerm24  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2018 3:39:26 PM(UTC)
spencerm24

Argo82 wrote:
There maybe better ways to do this, but this is one way I worked out so far:

Make one title template with however many text fields you want in it.
Under the settings for your excel spreadsheet in data sources, "Convert rows to columns". (may look a bit messy but this lets you assign each cell to a text field)
Open 10 copies of the title (one each for 1-4, 5-8, 9-12, etc)
Assign each column to the data source of each text field.

Now for the playlist part:
On the main screen of vMix, click the cog next to Playlist
Select "New Playlist" and give it a name.
On the left list, select the titles you want to cycle through and put them in the list to the right.
Double click each playlist item to set their duration, transition and display type (which would be one of the Overlays).
Check the "Loop" box at the bottom of the list.

BTW, this playlist option would work for your sponsor graphics as well, but I don't know if you can run multiple playlists at the same time. Maybe someone could answer that.

A bit fiddily, but not too complicated. There may be easier/cleaner ways but this worked for me.

-Mark

That seems to have done the trick. Thank you so much!
Argo82  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2018 4:41:29 PM(UTC)
Argo82

Awesome. :-)