logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
noneric  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 7:13:21 AM(UTC)
noneric

Groups: Registered

Hi,
i am running a weekly podcast für musicians and we used to use skype for the conference.
We switched to vmix and vmixcall last summer and most of the time it worked fine.

But in the recent weeks vmixcall has become a nightmare.

Using web browsers to connect to the system is not a proper solution.

Especially since most browser now autoupdate.

The latest Chrome version broke the ability to use an external audio source like an audio interface with a mic with vmixcall.
Since then we have had problems even when checking the browser and connection a day before the show.
Next day it simply will not work.
Firefox, Safari, Opera and Chrome all have problems selecting the proper audio source. Some even report a connection error.
Using the build in audio and web cam will always work fine, but the audio-quality is inadequate for a 1 hour podcast for audio pros.

Please fix this.

Can vmix supply a stripped down WIN client for callers? and a client for Mac too...

We have lost numerous hours on this problem.

Non Eric
Musotalk.de

ask  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 8:18:25 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
I have just checked on the latest build of Chrome and I can still change the audio and video sources. Perhaps you could try a complete uninstall and reinstall of Chrome to get it back to default state. Remember that vMix Call is taking advantage of Google technology that only works through a browser so if Chrome or other browsers are not working you need to address that with the Browser manufacturer.
noneric  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 8:57:46 AM(UTC)
noneric

Hi,
just setting the browser to external audio will not reveal the bug. Connected using a multiple output audio device will cause the participant not to hear you but you will hear his audio.

By the way vmix has sold me the functionality to have up to 8 guests on vmixcall. I have no deal with a browser manufacturer. It is already possible to use the trial for WIN and connect without any problems.
So a small client should do the trick:)

Please post only a reply if you understand the problem .. it is related only to bugs connecting with an external multiout audio device.
..plus all the issues selecting external devices using a browser..

If you join the discussion please post only feedback if you "connected "to a vmixcaller using a multi IO audio interface.

Currently I recommend Firefox 57.0.4

Non Eric

admin  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 10:22:10 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4145 time(s) in 1490 post(s)
Hi,

I have updated the subject of this thread to better reflect the problem being reported.
It might be a bit unfair to say vMix Call is broken in all browsers because it doesn't work with a particular audio device....

If the problem persists with all the browsers as noted I suspect it may be a compatibility issue with the audio device itself.
Though in general, browsers are designed to work with webcams and mono or stereo microphones.

For more advanced setups, using vMix as the client is recommended.
In vMix 20 we improved support for this scenario by allowing vMix Basic HD ($60) to connect to any vMix Call host session.
This is what we would consider the vMix Call client software being requested. It supports all the advanced audio features
including ASIO support for multi channel devices and now VST3.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
noneric  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 11:04:53 AM(UTC)
noneric

Hi,
the problems are NOT related to any special audio device. Problem occurs with any multi IO device.

The Basic version is no fix, I can not ask my guests to spend 60 $ to participate, nor can I afford to give away the basic HD version for every new quest.

and it is PC only.

Not being able to connect a dedicated audio device is a major problem, it is hurting my business since no listener will accept crappy audio in an audio podcast from audio professionals.

Do i need to go back to Skype?

Will you invest time to fix this?

Seems like you are not really interested to make this work. You should be aware that audio quality is more important than the video, especially in a podcast that runs for an hour.

http://www.musotalk.de

Non Eric

Cpilcher  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 1:13:15 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 47 post(s)
You can install older versions of Chrome over your current version that isn't working. Since you claim that the latest updates have broken the functionality maybe this will help you out.

noneric  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 1, 2018 10:44:37 AM(UTC)
noneric

The older versions of Chrome are not offically available. The older Version will update itself as soon as you use it to go online with vmixcall and next time you have the broken version again.

elvis55  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 1, 2018 12:42:55 PM(UTC)
elvis55

Switzerland

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
prevent chrome automatic updates

Methode 1 Mac
Methode 2 Windows
noneric  
#9 Posted : Thursday, February 8, 2018 7:42:00 AM(UTC)
noneric

thanks for the links, very helpfull!

Currently our browser of choice is the current Firefoxes 57 and 58, they work well on PC and Mac.

However I have a feature request:

Add an indicator if vmixcall is not connected directly with a caller because firewall ports are restricted.

We need to know if caller needs to open ports in firewall.

mjgraves  
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 8, 2018 3:07:46 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
noneric wrote:
Will you invest time to fix this?

Sorry, I can't let this pass unnoticed. What you are asking is that they fix something that changed in Chrome. The vMix team is not directly responsible for Chrome.

Chrome is an open source project, so there is an opportunity to contribute to the code. But the vMix can't "simply fix it." There's a community development process.

It's entirely possible that Google's Chrome team might not regard this as a serious problem, or a problem at all, because it impacts so few people.

Further, ASIO-style multi-channel device access is not the only way to achieve high-quality audio.

noneric wrote:

Add an indicator if vmixcall is not connected directly with a caller because firewall ports are restricted.

We need to know if caller needs to open ports in firewall.

Recommend your guests to try https://test.webrtc.org. It will report any connectivity problems.
noneric  
#11 Posted : Friday, February 9, 2018 5:54:46 AM(UTC)
noneric

Further, ASIO-style multi-channel device access is not the only way to achieve high-quality audio.

Ok..but since my guests all have a proper audio interface!! that is easy to say:)
Have you tried USB or other headsets ?

And since VMIX offers vmixcall as a feature, they can not just pass the problem on..
noneric  
#12 Posted : Friday, February 9, 2018 5:57:49 AM(UTC)
noneric

Thanks for the Link:

https://test.webrtc.org/

This solves the issues of an indicator!

Non Eric
rowby  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 14, 2018 2:12:35 PM(UTC)
rowby

Man

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Hi Noneric,

To deal with your audio issues, you might want to check into the Manycam software. https://manycam.com/

Your guest(s) would download and install Manycam on their computer and select the webcam attached to your computer as the webcam. Then connect the usual way to vMix Call.

I bought the paid version, but there is a free version. I mention this because in my paid version you apparently can set the audio input you want to use. All of this happens within manycam — before you touch the browser. So browser updates and restrictions should in theory be eliminated.

Basically Manycam lets you do more than just show your webcam. For example, it lets you show your desktop, and do other things. And (based on my quick look at it) one of those features is selecting your audio device.

You know more about what you want to achieve than I do, so I suggest you download at least the free version -- and see if it will work for you. And check out the numerous videos on YouTube about Manycam.

BTW the paid version gives you a certain number of "activations", but you can share those activations with others, and remove the activations and give them to someone else as needed. As I understand it, they would install the free version of manycam — and use one of your activations. And, as I said, afterwards you can revoke their activation and give it to someone else, If you want to.

I am planning to use manycsm with vMix call -- my reason is some of my clients need to share their desktops and I am hoping that manycam will offer a simple solution, rather than depending on Skype.

I'll be doing some more manycam testing over the next few days.

Rowby

rowby  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 14, 2018 3:25:46 PM(UTC)
rowby

Man

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)

Update: Here's a screen capture of manycam's audio source[img][/img] feature, listing my available audio sources.
rowby attached the following image(s):
audio sources manycam.jpg (43kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
noneric  
#15 Posted : Thursday, February 15, 2018 6:08:00 AM(UTC)
noneric

Hi,
not shure if it solves my problems!

no free version for the mac?

I can select a audio source and then this will the system audio right!
But i can do that now already in the OS.

Thanks, let me know your progress...

Non Eric