logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ptrshaggy  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 1:28:37 AM(UTC)
ptrshaggy

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Since Facebook has tied our hands somewhat with "easy" on demand streaming being limited to FB only, has anyone found a way to embed the most recent or current active Facebook live video on a website? Everything I'm finding is for after the event is over using the specific embed code aka getting the embed code on a per-event basis, but I'm looking for what YouTube used to have where you could basically show your latest video and if you were "live" the "live" signal was the latest one.

I like Facebook as a medium to get the word out, but I'd really like to have a "on-air"/"live show" view on my site as well.
rowby  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 12:47:39 PM(UTC)
rowby

Man

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Hi

I know this is not exactly what you asked for, but thought I’d share this link

https://developers.faceb...ns/embedded-video-player

Rowby
ptrshaggy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 1:28:13 PM(UTC)
ptrshaggy

Man
United States

Yeah that's the example i had seen which really only works after the fact, from what i can tell there's not even really an api call to programmatically get the latest videoid. there's only a call to get a videoid from a playlist, which can only have pre-recorded or post-live videos added to it.
ptrshaggy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 1:48:31 PM(UTC)
ptrshaggy

Man
United States

Maybe another question is, Is it possible to get the videoId vmix creates via the start of streaming via an api call to vmix itself? you would think that vmix should get that back in a response for the stream creation to facebook. If that were the case then atleast we would have the videoid that we could create a program off of that could "update" the website's data with to switch the video player on the website to the newly created live stream.
rowby  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 10:14:36 PM(UTC)
rowby

Man

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Hi

What about something like this.

https://codecanyon.net/i...d-for-wordpress/18144979

Rowby
ptrshaggy  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 10:27:30 PM(UTC)
ptrshaggy

Man
United States

I had seen that and appreciate the find. The problem is I'm in a .net and sql server world not a php/WordPress one and the vendor isn't interested in porting the code.
ptrshaggy  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 25, 2018 9:48:04 AM(UTC)
ptrshaggy

Man
United States

For those following this I did a little more digging and I did find something in the Facebook API licensing but I'm not sure it will help because I don't think it's feasible for vmix to work it in. Facebook licensing of the api DOES allow you to broadcast to Facebook AND 1st party streaming sites simultaneously. What this means is that if I ran my own streaming server, such as unreal media server (which i do happen to own), then I would be within the Facebook licensing rights to simulcast to both Facebook and my own server.

Now here's the rub, vmix would have to allow me to setup two broadcast encoders, one to Facebook and on to a "other" destination. That would let me do whats described above, but I think it would open the door for abuse so I wouldn't blame vmix if they didn't allow it, because as we all know give an inch and we'll take a mile. Most other streaming sites will let you manually configure your streaming server settings to their configuration. So if vmix allowed this i can see abuse where someone configured say YouTube under the "other" server settings and thus broke the licensing agreement. The only way around that would be for vmix to put a filter on the server text box when "other" is selected but that's more work, so like i said i don't blame them not doing it.

I just wish either facebook or vmix would make things a little easier for us to integrate live video feeds into our website, social media is fine but my thought is your website should still be the primary focus for your visitors. Anyone who sank a ton of time and energy into MySpace can tell you social media platforms come and go.