logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RobLambert  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 1:01:24 PM(UTC)
RobLambert

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I have read lots of places that certain programs do much better when the program is separated from the data it is using.... in other words, the software is much faster with two ssd's ... one for the program and one for the data.

Does vMix do better with two ssd's rather than one bigger one.... or is this not relevant to vMix?????

The reason I ask this is several of the real experts here suggest multiple ssd's but don't say why other than it is easier to organize. My question is, does multiple ssd's help with performance or anything practical other than organization???

Please, any comments. I am about to build a system for vMix only and will use multiple ssd's if that is ideal for vMix If not, I will just get one.

thank you ALL.

Rob
PrepSpin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 2:28:58 PM(UTC)
PrepSpin

Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 11 post(s)
RobLambert wrote:
I have read lots of places that certain programs do much better when the program is separated from the data it is using.... in other words, the software is much faster with two ssd's ... one for the program and one for the data.

Does vMix do better with two ssd's rather than one bigger one.... or is this not relevant to vMix?????

The reason I ask this is several of the real experts here suggest multiple ssd's but don't say why other than it is easier to organize. My question is, does multiple ssd's help with performance or anything practical other than organization???

Please, any comments. I am about to build a system for vMix only and will use multiple ssd's if that is ideal for vMix If not, I will just get one.

thank you ALL.

Rob

Hi Rob,

It is always a great idea to have vMix on your C drive and have all media on another drive. I would suggest that you have the following drives for the following reason.

c: Windows/vMix software drive
a: Media Player/ Graphics drive
b: Recording drive
d: Instant replay drive

I have had my best experience with vMix with this kind of setup. Also the best advice I could give you is to make sure that "high performance mode" is selected in power settings. Many times that is often overlooked. By selecting high performance mode you increase the computers speed which means little to no dropped frames. This all depends on your setup of course. The i7 6700K, 7700K, or i9 7900X is the best three cpu's to build a machine around.
thanks 1 user thanked PrepSpin for this useful post.
RobLambert on 1/17/2018(UTC)
RobLambert  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 2:40:20 PM(UTC)
RobLambert

Mr. Prep Spin:

Thank you very much.

I know for sure that the c and a drives should be the fastest SSD's i can muster.

Should the recording drive (b) also be an SSD or is a good spinning drive, perhaps even two in raid 0, be just fine????

Same question with respect to the instant replay drive (d). SSD or spinning drive????

Thank you very much.

Rob
PrepSpin  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 4:22:48 PM(UTC)
PrepSpin

Man

RobLambert wrote:
Mr. Prep Spin:

Thank you very much.

I know for sure that the c and a drives should be the fastest SSD's i can muster.

Should the recording drive (b) also be an SSD or is a good spinning drive, perhaps even two in raid 0, be just fine????

Same question with respect to the instant replay drive (d). SSD or spinning drive????

Thank you very much.

Rob

The recording file could be a SSHD but I would highly recommend using SSD drives. You will reduce drop frames. Sometimes the 7200rpm drives even drop frames. SSD is the way to go. For replay definitely go with SSD. They are a lot more affordable now days even though they still cost more than regular drives. The extra expense could save your recording.
RobLambert  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 4:30:33 PM(UTC)
RobLambert

PrepSpin wrote:
RobLambert wrote:
Mr. Prep Spin:

Thank you very much.

Thank you very much.

Rob

The recording file could be a SSHD but I would highly recommend using SSD drives. You will reduce drop frames. Sometimes the 7200rpm drives even drop frames. SSD is the way to go. For replay definitely go with SSD. They are a lot more affordable now days even though they still cost more than regular drives. The extra expense could save your recording.

This is very helpful to me. Thanks.
Please tell me how big you think these drives ideally should be. Each is probably a different size.
PrepSpin  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 4:39:31 PM(UTC)
PrepSpin

Man

I would recommend
500gb for windows drive
250 to 500Gb for media playback
1TB for instant replay
500gb for recording if your recording in H264 format. A 1TB if anything else.
Also have a 4TB 7200RPM drive or a USB 3 drive on the machine to transfer your files to after recording them to the recording SSD.
RobLambert  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 4:43:40 PM(UTC)
RobLambert

Mr. PreSpin:

A follow-up question to my question on type of ssd....

I know that the media drive needs to be the fastest and should probably be an m.2 drive with the largest bandwidth the motherboard allows hopefully equivalent to 4 PCIE lanes.

What I don't know is should the windows/vMix software drive also be with huge bandwidth and speed.

In a great system will Sata SSD Drives work out for all but the media drive.... ????

I don't want to guild the lilly and waste money; but, I sure don't want to cheap out and kick myself a year from now.

thank you for this valuable vMix specific help.... I couldn't get this anywhere else.
thanks 1 user thanked RobLambert for this useful post.
PrepSpin on 1/17/2018(UTC)
PrepSpin  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 5:23:15 PM(UTC)
PrepSpin

Man

RobLambert wrote:
Mr. PreSpin:

A follow-up question to my question on type of ssd....

I know that the media drive needs to be the fastest and should probably be an m.2 drive with the largest bandwidth the motherboard allows hopefully equivalent to 4 PCIE lanes.

What I don't know is should the windows/vMix software drive also be with huge bandwidth and speed.

In a great system will Sata SSD Drives work out for all but the media drive.... ????

I don't want to guild the lilly and waste money; but, I sure don't want to cheap out and kick myself a year from now.

thank you for this valuable vMix specific help.... I couldn't get this anywhere else.

Here is my specific drive setup:

500GB M.2 for windows
500GB M.2 for Recording
1TB M.2 for replay
256GB SSD for Playout and Graphics
4TB SSHD for storage - I take my recorded files from my recording M.2 drive and transfer to here. Then delete the files on the M.2 drive for the next recording.

Hope this helps.
RobLambert  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 7:51:29 PM(UTC)
RobLambert

One last question (Yea!) I hope!

I have it in my head that PCIE 3x4 connected SSD's are strongly preferred for

and that the slower SATA connected SSD's are just fine for recording virtually any HD stream....

Just trying to figure out when I will regret using the less expensive SATA SSD's and when I will congratulate myself for using them
spencerm24  
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 10:28:12 AM(UTC)
spencerm24

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 17 post(s)
RobLambert wrote:

and that the slower SATA connected SSD's are just fine for recording virtually any HD stream....

Just trying to figure out when I will regret using the less expensive SATA SSD's and when I will congratulate myself for using them

Fastest drive for the media/gfx drive is not necessary. SSD for sure, but drive speed priority in my mind is as follows:

From fastest to slowest (all but the last one is SSD at least)

1. Replay
2. Record
3. Windows/vMix
4. Media/GFX
5. Larger spinning drive for storage, copying to the appropriate drive as needed for each show.
Peter B  
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 3:05:15 PM(UTC)
Peter B

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 36 post(s)
RobLambert wrote:

An SSD drive will support 500 mBps or 4000 mbps. Even uncompressed HD or a stinger is only about 1000mbps. Sata drives also use less Pcie lanes.