logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rowby  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 1:03:47 PM(UTC)
rowby

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Hi

Trying to fine tune “The two computer method” of using Skype on 2nd computer with NDI desktop capture and vMix on that second computer.

Here’s my Setup:

Main computer has vMix. Settings NDI “ON for Cameras / Calls / Audio Inputs And. audio Outputs”
Second computer has NDI desktop capture, 2nd copy of vMix, and Skype maximized. VMix External is on. Skype Video is set to “vMix video”.

My big question is what should the Skype guest be seeing on their Skype screen? Preferably I want them to see and hear what is being displayed on the main computer’s Program monitor. That is, I want my guests to see and hear the same thing that the visitors to the webcast are seeing — so they can better participate in the program.

Is that possible?

Thanks,

Rowby

mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 5:12:07 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
To answer your question:

- Yes, it's possible.

- You need a app on the Skype system that will receive the NDI program stream from your vMix host and act as a virtual webcam for the Skype application.

- That could be another instance of vMix, or one of the Newtek NDI utilities. NDI Transmit is the one, I think.

- Since you already have the second vMix:
> Set it to receive the program stream from your main system.
> Turn on "External"
> In Skype select vMix Video as the video source.

The sound is the fiddly part, as you need a mix-minus arrangement.

On that basis alone I'd recommend using vMix Call instead of Skype. So much easier.

rowby  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 6:59:32 PM(UTC)
rowby

Man

Thanks, mjgraves, for being so quick in your reply...

But I'm not sure how to send the "Program" stream from my main computer (Computer #1) to my second Copy of vMix on my second computer (Computer #2)

In my Main Computer, in Settings, In "Outputs / NDI" I don't see "Program" in the Output. I see "Output", I see "Preview", I see "Multiview" -- and a long list of "Inputs" But no "Program" in any of the dropdowns....

Please check out my video capture of my Main vMix settings.... (Computer #1)

https://www.screencast.com/t/4wTQ1EAoCyy

BTW in my second computer #2 I have vMix set to External, and Skype's Video setting is set to "vMix Video". (Yes, Skype is on Computer #2, along with that second copy of vMix.)

(For this specific webinar I need to use Skype rather than vMixCall....)

Best,
Rowby
ask  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 12:31:53 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Output=Program

When you do a NDI search of the receiving computer to setup an input, you will see listed under the computer name all of the available outputs. You will look for vMix-Output 1
rowby  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 8:10:13 AM(UTC)
rowby

Man

Quote:

Output=Program

Hi Ask,

Thanks for helping me on this...

Which computer (Main or Computer #2) should I see "Output=Program" And if it is in the "Settings" "Outputs/NDI" which dropdown do I look for it?

In my main computer I do not see "Program" in the dropdown. (See attached screen capture)

Just to make it clear, I want my Skype Guest to see on their computer the Program feed, not just my web cam and not their web cam -- I want them to see the production as a visitor to the site would see it.

Thanks!
Rowby

rowby attached the following image(s):
Output-do not see program.png (38kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
vmix call chrome - request.png (347kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
rowby  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 11:53:06 AM(UTC)
rowby

Man

Hi

Looking at this some more, and testing it, the Skype caller is not seeing the Main computer's Vmix Program Feed on his Skype. He is seeing a local input from the second PC. (Yes, Skype is running on Computer #2 and has External set to on. Skype's video setting is "vMix Video".

It appears that my 2nd pc settings are not "bringing" in the Main computer's vMix Program feed from the Main PC #1 -- and Externaling it to Skype. Skype is only seeing an input from the local #2 PC -- even though it's set for "vMix Video".

Here are some settings in the External Button on the 2nd PC. I don't see anything there that will resolve my issue of not bringing in the Main PC via NDI.

I am missing one piece of this puzzle, and I don't see anything in the Knowledge base that helps me in this final issue....

I want the Skype caller to see the Main vMix program feed.... Please look at the attached image's "External" button that appears to offer some additional settings -- but none of them seems to make a difference in bringing in the Program feed.

Rowby
rowby attached the following image(s):
second pc.jpg (274kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
rowby  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 4:19:40 PM(UTC)
rowby

Man

Hi

Greg, from vMix Support gave me the apparent solution. I'll be doing some testing and then I'll post it here.

Thanks Greg!

Rowby