logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cbpayne  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 5:40:59 PM(UTC)
cbpayne

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I really want to use vMix to stream live to Facebook with 2 guests via vMix call.

Have been using Zoom.us up to now with no problems, but want to change as vMix offers a lot for functionality.

Today was the second week in a row that I have tried with vMix and at the last second as to revert to zoom to do it due to issues with vMix call.

The issue today was a delay in video; video freezing and poor audio quality with one guest (the other guest was fine)- I played with settings and could not sort.

At the last second we shut down vMix and went to Zoom and the video and audio from that guest was fine (so I assume that means the problem was not on her end)

Not sure where to start troubleshooting this ... anyone have any idea?
mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 7:18:53 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Test.....Test.....Test.....Test.....with your guests, well in advance of the show/

There are a number of factors to be aware of:

- Their basic ability to connect to vMix Call (ie not be blocked by a corp firewall)
- Their available bandwidth in both directions
- Their ability to select/use the correct audio device
- Their ability to select/use the correct camera
- Their computer's specifications
- Don't let them run any unnecessary programs that might slow the system
- Don't let them rely on Wi-Fi

If they have webcams don't reach for insanely high-resolution or frame-rates. Most built-in webcams can only support 720p30.

Zoom is itself a webrtc-based service. That is, if they're joining using a browser. It's just less bandwidth intensive since it's compositing the streams at the server.
thanks 1 user thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
Rivercrest on 6/28/2018(UTC)
mgrayeb  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 11:48:12 AM(UTC)
mgrayeb

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
cbpayne wrote:
I really want to use vMix to stream live to Facebook with 2 guests via vMix call.

Have been using Zoom.us up to now with no problems, but want to change as vMix offers a lot for functionality.

Today was the second week in a row that I have tried with vMix and at the last second as to revert to zoom to do it due to issues with vMix call.

The issue today was a delay in video; video freezing and poor audio quality with one guest (the other guest was fine)- I played with settings and could not sort.

At the last second we shut down vMix and went to Zoom and the video and audio from that guest was fine (so I assume that means the problem was not on her end)

Not sure where to start troubleshooting this ... anyone have any idea?

Were you able to determine the issues you experienced and have you used vMix Call reliably since?

I ask because I too have been using Zoom (with Wirecast) for bringing in guests remotely and I'm experimenting with vMix and vMix Call. I'm wondering if there might be more of a chance of network congestion with the vMix WebRTC servers vs. Zoom's servers (if, for example, since Zoom's call service is core to their business, maybe they have more infrastructure in place to mitigate congestion?).

I've tried vMix Call once with two guests and it worked great. One came in via Firefox browser on a Windows 10 laptop; the other via Google Chrome on a Windows 10 laptop. I'm planning to experiment with it more soon.

Thanks.
rjr@tiltmedia.com  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 6:13:31 AM(UTC)
rjr@tiltmedia.com

United States

So if Wifi is so problematic, and since most Mac laptops don't even have an actual Ethernet cable connector, and since most routers are buried behind a desk or in a utility room, how in the world do we expect guests to get hard wired?

I have a MacbookPro on WiFi with 600mbps down and 400 up....the video image is great. Same with an iPad.

But if a potential guest has an older PC laptop, no way to hook up an Ethernet cable to their router, let alone get it working thru the actual cable (and not thru Wifi) what is the process?

Ask if they have an iPhone 8 or better and if they are on Verizon?

I'm not positive that Wifi is the culprit here.

But freezing video is not cool....I just did a tech test today and it froze after 5 minutes...it was a tech test! Video was coming in at nine sixty x 540 at 450 kbps so not great for sure. But that is such a light load on any network system I have no idea why it froze!

Anyone else have a good handle on troubleshooting these kinds of issues? Please chime in!
mjgraves  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 20, 2020 7:00:12 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rjr@tiltmedia.com Go to Quoted Post
So if Wifi is so problematic, and since most Mac laptops don't even have an actual Ethernet cable connector, and since most routers are buried behind a desk or in a utility room, how in the world do we expect guests to get hard wired?

Cheap USB-Ethernet adapters are a great solution.

Wi-Fi is variable, shared bandwidth. It can be great for a while, then gone in an instant.

You can test in a venue with few people there and it works great. Load the room up with people and it barely works at all.

Ethernet is your friend. Remember, you always trade reliability for convenience. Ethernet is worth the effort.

Heck, in a pinch, I've used an Ethernet-over-powerline kit to give me a wired port in venue where the Wi-Fi was worthless. Basically turned an extension cord that had to be run anyway into a Ethernet drop.