logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nowski  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 11, 2017 11:10:07 AM(UTC)
nowski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
We've come up against a technical limitation of our system, recording 8 MJPG streams works fine apart from the point at which the auto segmentation (new file after 10 minutes) creates the new files.
We get a .5 to 1s glitch in the video stream (all of them) so the drive just cant cope at that point.

We have tried a test with an SSD and this eliminated the issue (we had a small, spare SSD to test with) .
I am looking at getting a 1tB capture SSD, either a Samsung Evo 850 or Evo 850 Pro.

However, I'm reading stuff about SSD drives not being suitable for video capture, they wear out.

So I thought I would check with people who have experience.
We will be using the multi-stream capture maybe several times a month for client work, rest of the time we'll just capture the main switch output so only one stream + Wav.

We have two sata ports available on the MOBO so could possibly consider a platter based RAID. Although we did try splitting the files to separate drives (4 on each) and got the same problem.

Many thanks for your help
SportsNetUSA.net  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 11, 2017 3:05:30 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
The problem of SSD wearing out is probably over stated in regards as to the level most of us would use them for.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/wo...robably-dont-need-to-be/

Still they do wear out eventually. All electronic devices do. And mechanical, spinning hard drives also wear out and have a definitive life-cycle. I'm sure there were some users that thought 5 1/4 diskettes were better than 3 1/2 :)

I think if testing the SSD solved your problem, that's the way to go. vMix recommends using SSDs for recording. You can always transfer your SSD video recordings to an high capacity HDD for longer term storage, since the price per TB of mechanical hard drives continues to drop. I use a combination of both types of drives in my systems.
thanks 1 user thanked SportsNetUSA.net for this useful post.
nowski on 12/12/2017(UTC)
NHT  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 11, 2017 3:47:52 PM(UTC)
NHT

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 31 post(s)
I've had more IDE & SATA drives die on me than SSD's.

AFAIK raid can only come close to SSD on some operations, on the whole SSD's win hands down.

If you're moving your streaming unit around on location SSD's are a far better option IMO as there's no moving parts to rattle around.

I have found that SSD's are more prone to corruption if abused than an SATA's, by abused I mean hot plugged while reading/writing, power interruptions or hard quitting programs while they reading/writing to the drive.
thanks 1 user thanked NHT for this useful post.
nowski on 12/12/2017(UTC)