logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DiscipleDOC  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 6, 2017 5:57:01 PM(UTC)
DiscipleDOC

Groups: Registered
Man

Hi...I don't know exactly where this question should be asked, so I'll ask it here.

First, I ask for forgiveness for being a total newb at this. My question is that I have audio speakers (connected to my PC) and I have headphones (connected to my mic). I want the feedback to come through my headphones instead of my speakers. How do I go by getting this set up that way?

Thanks in advance.
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 6, 2017 7:27:59 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ DiscipleDOC

Can you elaborate a little more about your predicament?
Typically, PC microphone and headset jacks are separate Inputs and Outputs, so if you have a single headset/microphone jack (as is with many smartphone headsets), you may need to split the signals with something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm...1c3b0:g:VskAAOSwgZ1XrBw~
(if that is what you are asking)

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
DiscipleDOC on 12/7/2017(UTC)
DiscipleDOC  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 8:25:08 PM(UTC)
DiscipleDOC

Man

Hi Ice Stream,
I have a USB mic that's connected to my PC and the headphones are connected to my USB mic (ATR USB).
zenvideo  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2017 6:05:14 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
DiscipleDOC wrote:
I have a USB mic that's connected to my PC and the headphones are connected to my USB mic (ATR USB).

I'm assuming you have one of the Audio Technica mics like the cardioid ATR2500-USB. I don't own one of these but, as far as I can tell by looking at the specs, the headphone output on the mic is PURELY for getting a clean feed of the signal from the mic (without the added latency that you'd typically hear if monitoring the signal via the playback device in the computer). Unless you see it included in the list of Windows Playback devices, then you can't send audio from the computer back to the mic's headphone output socket. If it does appear as a Windows Playback device, then select it in the vMix Settings as the Audio Output device for the Headphone mix.

Otherwise, if you want a mix of the microphone output (without any delay), plus the other audio from vMix, you will need an external mixer (albeit a small one like a Behringer Xenyx 502) to which to connect your headphones. This will allow you to create your own headphone mix using two line-input channels, combining the vMix headphone output (from the computer's Line Out) and the headphone output signal direct from the mic. And, so that you don't hear two versions of the mic signal, make sure you mute the headphone output for the mic input channel in vMix.
thanks 1 user thanked zenvideo for this useful post.
DiscipleDOC on 12/10/2017(UTC)
sinc747  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2017 1:09:38 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Since you're just starting out, it might make sense to have a look at the Audio Tutorials produced by vMix. What better source than the folks that wrote the software, right?

Good luck!

- Tom
thanks 1 user thanked sinc747 for this useful post.
DiscipleDOC on 12/10/2017(UTC)