logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
David_in_Philly  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 21, 2017 11:20:17 PM(UTC)
David_in_Philly

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I'm planning to use Vmix Call as the basis for CNN-style round table discussions - all with remote participants via Vmix Call.

I'm used to having producer-to-guest communication during live webcasts via IFB (interruptable feedback) in the earphone of each guest. This is especially useful when "coaching" non-professional talent - when they're not speaking.

I'd really like to see this come to Vmix soon. Please?
admin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2017 12:01:14 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
There are a couple of ways to do this already, depending on the flexibility needed:

1. Headphones Method:

Set the audio source for each guest to Headphones, and use the Solo button to
turn on the producer's mic when needed, as the guests will hear whatever is in the headphones mix including the solo functionality.

2. Bus Method:

Set the audio source to Bus A or Bus B and manually manage what audio sources the guests hear with their own mix.
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
David_in_Philly on 11/22/2017(UTC)
David_in_Philly  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2017 9:28:22 PM(UTC)
David_in_Philly

United States

Thanks for those options.

I did see them in the documentation. I especially like the virtual green room model.

The challenge that I have with both is that I often want to speak to one guest alone (as an IFB) while the others are still talking and listening - and both solutions talk to all guests simultaneously. If you do that, especially with non-professionals, you'll often tend to distract the one who is speaking.

In my view of a more perfect world (vMix-21?), there would be an individual push-to-talk "switch" (perhaps locking) for each input and an "All button as well. I realize that screen real-estate is at a premium. Perhaps there could be an "intercom" button in the lower right-hand corer (next to the audio mixer?) that allows you to configure which inputs contain guests that you'd want to talk to - so there aren't too many locking PTT switches visible at one time.

On a related point, it would be great if you could tear that off and use that on a separate monitor - and maybe do the same thing with the audio mixer.

This looks a bit like one that I used to rent:

https://static.bhphoto.c...1233180697000_541036.jpg

Thoughts?

Thank you.
David_in_Philly  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 23, 2017 3:06:50 PM(UTC)
David_in_Philly

United States

"On a related point, it would be great if you could tear that off and use that on a separate monitor - and maybe do the same thing with the audio mixer."

OOPS - when I finally plugged in my 4K monitor, I realized that you can already tear off (unpin) the audio mixer from the rest of the interface.
addisonzimmerlin  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2019 7:02:15 AM(UTC)
addisonzimmerlin

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I recently implemented an IFB system for vMix call participants on our show using Shortcuts and an X-keys controller.

XwbXw5U.jpg (892kb) downloaded 19 time(s).

The system allows me to hold down a button and talk to any one of the hosts or guests.

Here's how it works:
-By default, all of our hosts/guests are sent the Master audio feed (with mix-minus obviously)
-When the director (aka me) wants to talk to any one of them, I just press and hold the button that corresponds to that person. That executes a shortcut...
-The shortcut routes the "B" audio bus to that person. Bus B has just my microphone and nothing else, so it's a true IFB system in the sense that when I am talking to someone, all they hear is me. It interrupts the master audio feed
-When I release the button, the host/guest I was talking to is then sent the Master audio feed again

Notes:
-You can bind multiple shortcuts to a single key to do stuff like create an "ALL" button for talking to everyone
-You can press two or more buttons at the same time to talk to multiple people simultaneously

Shortcut example for the "REM-1 SAM" button:
Untitled.png (23kb) downloaded 18 time(s).
Untitled2.png (18kb) downloaded 14 time(s).

I hope someone finds this helpful!
thanks 11 users thanked addisonzimmerlin for this useful post.
AgentPete on 5/3/2019(UTC), calamityjane on 3/30/2020(UTC), Reinaldo on 3/30/2020(UTC), Cpilcher on 4/1/2020(UTC), billh2020 on 4/3/2020(UTC), dedlinemedia on 4/9/2020(UTC), aliyasar on 4/13/2020(UTC), talrmd on 4/27/2020(UTC), John Barson on 4/28/2020(UTC), sinc747 on 3/1/2021(UTC), stevemol on 10/21/2021(UTC)
calamityjane  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2020 10:42:48 AM(UTC)
calamityjane

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Well at least I have found this very useful. I have been struggling with the audio aspects of vMixCall. Your explanation here has put it all in perspective and I just programmed my X-Keys as you outlined. Thank you
greggibson  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2020 12:37:57 PM(UTC)
greggibson

United States

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Thanks I found the shortcut information really helpful. I've been setting up my new StreamDeck today so trying to figure out shortcuts and triggers. Like the hold down and release to restore option.
Very nice.

greg
BxRider  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2020 12:00:51 PM(UTC)
BxRider

Canada

Awesome. Thanks for sharing your shortcut.

I came from TV broadcast envirronnment and just switch to a vMix setup. Was strugling around IFB fow a while now. I knew buses would work, but did not know about videocallaudiosource shortcut...
KLee  
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 5, 2020 5:23:55 AM(UTC)
KLee

Hello, new to Vmix. I am remotely calling the show. How do I speak to the technician as well as can I speak directly to on camera talent?
mavik  
#10 Posted : Saturday, December 5, 2020 6:00:04 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
What you are talking about would require two return channels. You could do one with vmixcall, dialing into vmix yourself. The second one could be done with a mobile app like Zello.
elvis55  
#11 Posted : Sunday, December 6, 2020 5:46:13 AM(UTC)
elvis55

Switzerland

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
TeamViewer Meeting

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/meeting/

Can also be used without video. Audio conference only.