logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Followyourblissmedia  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 19, 2017 12:37:28 PM(UTC)
Followyourblissmedia

Groups: Registered

I'm hoping to upgrade my laptop for Christmas. I've been going back and forth on whether to get another laptop or to build a portable tower with a handle on top. A lot of my productions will be mobile so I really like the portability of a laptop. I eventually want to build a tower as well but I think a laptop would be best for now. I'll also buy a sonnet pci box so I can use either hdmi or sdi capture cards for professional cameras. Now I'm just trying to decide what laptop I should get. I was trying to stay under $1200 but the more research I've done, I'm probably looking closer to $1500+. Originally I was looking at the alienware 17r4. I really want something with a 4k screen so color correcting is more accurate. But for an 17r4 4k with SSD and gtx 1070 I'm looking at about $1700+ for a used one. So then I started looking at the MSI titan pros. I really like them a lot. They have the gt73vr with i7 6820hk 4k SSD and 1070 for $1600 used. I actually think the MSI is a better laptop and less expensive. But now I also found the MSI gt80vr for $1300 used which I believe is a little older model Because the i7 5920hq is older and the gpu is gtx 980, however it has dual 980 for a listed 16GB vram. So my question is, which is the better deal? Is the newer CPU and gpu that much better? Is the 8GB 1070 better than the 16GB SLI 980?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
Followyourblissmedia  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 19, 2017 3:50:11 PM(UTC)
Followyourblissmedia

How does vmix work with dual GPUs in SLI?
Is vmix able to use the full capacity of both cards?
How does this effect CPU loads?
Peter B  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 19, 2017 6:06:14 PM(UTC)
Peter B

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 36 post(s)
vMix only uses one graphics card.

I'd initially go with a tower, lugging around a Sonnet and a large laptop would be similar to a tower.

Pros - Cheaper or more powerful, expandable, more future proof, simple PCIe, better heat management, choice of monitors.

Is a 4K monitor better for colour? vMix currently only has basic colour correction.
thanks 1 user thanked Peter B for this useful post.
RobLambert on 11/19/2017(UTC)
Followyourblissmedia  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 20, 2017 8:41:30 PM(UTC)
Followyourblissmedia

I don't know much about SLI but what I've read makes it seem that the two cards are combined to create one output. If that's true, would it be better to have two older generation 980's in SLI for a total of 16GB or have one 1080 for a faster clocked 8GB?