logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nowski  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 7, 2017 9:47:52 AM(UTC)
nowski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
hi there, before we drop the $$ on a full Ruby system, we wanted to test the system with multiple inputs, so we got the BM duo 2 to test with our 8 core Xeon 2.93 Mac Pro running in Bootcamp Windows 10. (16BG ram) and a basic GPU with 1GB

Quickly tested three inputs running 1 from the BM Studio Card and two from the BM duo 2.
Was getting quite a lot of dropped frames, cant see the disc is being taxed all that much, well within its performance capabilities.
Tried Mp4 hardware compression on/off, ffmpeg MTS too but all formats were droppy.
CPU usage is high, but would expect that with this old system, but CPU vMix at around 82%, total CPU 90%
Vmix session running at 50i -
Should I be expect to be getting dropped frames like this?
Duo 2 input 2 - 30
Decklink Studio - 97
Duo 2 input 3 - 78

I'm sure there's a lot of factors I need to explore, but this was a naked Vmix session, just three inputs all are at 1080 50i.
We will be getting a 1060 or 1070 card too.

Many thanks
Cpilcher  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 7, 2017 1:29:56 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 47 post(s)
I see you are looking to upgrade to a 1060 or 1070. What GPU (Graphics Card) are you currently running in your Mac? Also what is you render time in Milliseconds? It is listed next to the CPU usage in the bottom bar of vMix.

Myself, I run a GTX 970 and MUST kill all background processes related to the GeForce Share utility. It will make Render times in vMix jump to over 80 Milliseconds, and suffer dropped frames as well as pops in audio. Once I disable this I run at around 1-7 Milliseconds and have 0 dropped frames.

This is a result of Nvidia software though so depending on your GPU it may not apply. But other manufacturers are using these background processes to record gameplay and do instant replay of gaming footage.

CPilcher
nowski  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 7, 2017 1:54:05 PM(UTC)
nowski

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Thanks yes we're running an NVIDIA GForce 8800 GT which I think only has about 1GB of Vram and is pretty old. So that might be it I guess. I dont have the windows 10 system booted at the moment