logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
okieman  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 6, 2017 11:16:38 PM(UTC)
okieman

Groups: Registered

Our church recently began a trial version of the latest vMix, on our dedicated Windows 7 PC. No error messages. But some oddities with audio. We have good audio out of our Mackie mixer. We split that output to go to A) an mp3 recorder for folks who only want audio download, and B) the input for the PC handling video streaming. The audio we are hearing in our vMix videos does not sound like what was fed in. Much of the lower frequencies in our speakers' voices is gone. (Today I tweaked the EQ settings: That helped a little.) Plus, even with audio Master level set at or near maximum, I had to go in and apply about 12dB gain to bring the sound in our video up to a stronger level. I have looked around in the vMix settings and documentation, but cannot see a reason.
Let me know what specific details you need; it's 15 miles to the church.
okieman  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 6, 2017 11:24:33 PM(UTC)
okieman

Example, at the following link compare Oct. 8 2017 with Oct. 29 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/...stown+video+october+2017
Mari  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 7, 2017 1:08:21 AM(UTC)
Mari

Netherlands

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
What device you you use for audio-input?
okieman  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 7, 2017 11:33:13 AM(UTC)
okieman

In the YT links I posted, the minister has an over-the-ear mic. The signal goes to a small booster/relay behind the organ, then to a receiver at the back of the sanctuary. From there, cables feed into the Mackie.
zenvideo  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 7, 2017 1:01:19 PM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Mari wrote:
What device you you use for audio-input?

I think what is meant here is more about the signal path from the Mackie to the PC. What type of output from the mixer (balanced/unbalanced), at what level, via what type of cable/connectors into what input device at the PC end? Are you able to check the signal at various points along the way - from leaving the mixer to arriving at the PC end? That's the first step in troubleshooting audio connections.

Another thing could be the Recording Level in the Windows Recording Device properties for whatever device is being used. Clearly there's a loss of level somewhere along the way, the question is where. A simple logical approach of tracing from source to destination usually works best.

Is there anything you know is different in the setup between the Oct 8th & 29th streams?
okieman  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 7, 2017 1:16:13 PM(UTC)
okieman

Between the 8th and 29th, the only change was going from Adobe FMLE to vMix.
I have a decent volt/ohmmeter that can handle low levels of AC; can I use that to check some of this at the level of cables/connectors?
Also, I need to check in the Windows control panel to see if it is messing with our audio. And read the Mackie manual to answer your question about balanced/unbalanced.
zenvideo  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 7, 2017 1:31:34 PM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

okieman wrote:
Between the 8th and 29th, the only change was going from Adobe FMLE to vMix.

That really shouldn't have made any appreciable difference. If you temporarily swap back to FMLE, do you get a decent audio level when using the same audio input device? If so, then you can ignore the physical link between the Mackie and the PC, and just look at the software side of things.

In vMix, under the General settings tab for the Audio Input you've added to take the Mackie feed, check the Device Volume setting (which mimics the Level control in the Windows Recording Devices properties). If it's not at 100 and the audio input is coming in low-level, that's the first think to turn up (to 100) before adding further (digital) gain.
SportsNetUSA.net  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 7, 2017 4:03:41 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
okieman wrote:
In the YT links I posted, the minister has an over-the-ear mic. The signal goes to a small booster/relay behind the organ, then to a receiver at the back of the sanctuary. From there, cables feed into the Mackie.

Does the wireless mic that your minister used have a battery pack?
okieman  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 7, 2017 6:45:23 PM(UTC)
okieman

SportsNetUSA.net wrote:

Does the wireless mic that your minister used have a battery pack?

No it is more compact. The earpiece itself plugs into a little charger overnight.
okieman  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 8, 2017 8:53:18 PM(UTC)
okieman

Some more testing today. The Google drive link below goes to an mp3 of the short test. Device Volume set at 100% as suggested (same for Windows Level), gain reduced from 12dB to 6dB, and noise gate at -55dB. The latter because the handheld mic was really acting up. Also an image here of the waveform, clearly some clipping.

Image of waveform

Audio from test Nov 7, 2017

The manual for this Mackie board labels the main out as bal/unbal. I believe we are connected via the TRS connectors at the board. Was in a hurry and didn't record this detail. By the time it gets to the rear of the PC (about 3 feet) it is stock 1/8 inch connector audio input.
sinc747  
#11 Posted : Friday, November 10, 2017 3:18:48 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 195 time(s) in 161 post(s)
I'll take a stab at this one, too.

If you have 1/4" coming out of the Mackie converted to 1/8", where is it connecting to the PC? The Mic In port or the Line In port. Recommended would be Line In. It does matter.

- Tom
zenvideo  
#12 Posted : Friday, November 10, 2017 6:41:42 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

okieman wrote:
The Google drive link below goes to an mp3 of the short test. Device Volume set at 100% as suggested (same for Windows Level), gain reduced from 12dB to 6dB, and noise gate at -55dB. The latter because the handheld mic was really acting up. Also an image here of the waveform, clearly some clipping.

So where was the MP3 recording made from - was it from the output of vMix? If so, and only the loud bits are clipping, then maybe you don't need as much as 6dB of gain in vMix, or maybe you could leave the 6dB of gain and add some compression (eg 2:1 ratio above a threshold of -15). As you say in the recording, it "sounds pretty good", so you seem to be in the right ballpark, level-wise.
okieman  
#13 Posted : Friday, November 10, 2017 8:10:13 PM(UTC)
okieman

I understand Line In vs Mic In. The problem is that someone else handled the PC hardware setup, and the church is in an adjacent city. I will get details of the cable connecting the Mackie to the PC.

Yes, the mp3 was extracted straight from the vMix video file (.ts). Also, the comments re gain and compression are very reasonable. Back in a bit with better information. Thx for your patience!
okieman  
#14 Posted : Saturday, November 11, 2017 8:30:23 PM(UTC)
okieman

The cable from the mixer to the PC is a 1/4-to-1/8 unbalanced TS. It goes from a "Sub Out" on the mixer to the "Line In" (pale blue) port on the PC. Should we purchase a balanced TRS?

Today's test with recommended settings:
Gain 6dB
Compression 2:1
Threshold -15
Without and with the -55dB Noise Gate

MP3 of two tests

"Show clipping" in Audacity says this is OK, but it sure looks clipped to me...
Image of waveform

Can probably ditch the gain?
SportsNetUSA.net  
#15 Posted : Saturday, November 11, 2017 9:01:01 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Listened to the MP3 test. You may need to adjust the Noise Gate so the audio is less "choppy" at the beginning of words (if possible).

What model Maxie mixer are you using?
okieman  
#16 Posted : Saturday, November 11, 2017 10:27:28 PM(UTC)
okieman

Mackie CFX-20

I will tinker with the noise gate.

PS - I went back to the waveform in Audacity and tried some things. It goes right up to the edge and stops short. Not really a classic clip. The highs and lows are about 90 percent flattened. If I select the entire file and then choose the Amplify effect, it tells me there is another 1 percent to grow. Never seen that before with clipped audio.