logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nemisis  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 10, 2013 3:29:50 AM(UTC)
nemisis

Groups: Registered

Most commercial video projectors don't use standard HD resolutions. For example, very common resolutions include 1280x800, 1920x1200, and 1024x768 (which vMix supports). These projectors are commonly used for business and educational presentations and also used by Houses of Worship. Is there a technical reason why these other resolutions are not supported in vMix? I think there is a large market that would like to use vMix (myself included). Common video resolutions can be found at http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm (pull down box for resolutions). Thanks. Cheers, James.
admin  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 11, 2013 7:38:11 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
Hi James,

In general, if you will be recording or streaming it is best to set the output size to the same as the recording size
and Windows will automatically upscale that to the output display anyway.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
nemisis on 8/12/2013(UTC)
nemisis  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 10:38:22 PM(UTC)
nemisis

Groups: Registered

Martin, thanks for your reply and insights. As a 'newbie' to both vMix and video mixing under Windows, I did not understand that the output is scaled in the manner you described. Normally, in my application, I would neither be expecting to stream the output or record it--just send it to a video projector for live presentations.

I was thinking of vMix as a switcher and not as a scaler. Now that I understand that, I still have issues. For example, I ran the following experiment: My output monitor has a resolution of 1280x1024. When an image with that resolution is sent to the vMix output, there is not any scaling and the image fills the output frame. However, when I cut over to an image with a resolution of 1024x768, I would expect that the image would be small and centered in the 1280x1024 frame. But as you pointed out, the image is scaled and fills the entire output frame. Since the aspect ratios are different, the image is distorted (circles become ellipses). Image quality is also lost due to the scaling. In some cases, the ability to scale on the fly is advantageous, but in other cases that is not desired. The scaling option on my nVidea card was set to off, but the images still were scaled somewhere.

An analogy: I have always driven a car with a manual transmission. I can't stand driving automatic cars that decide what gear the car should be in. I like to have the same control over my videos. Now either vMix or Windows (I'm not sure which one) has decided to scale the image to fill the output display.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I think I have decided that Windows and/or vMix is not the solution I am looking for. There is a lot of potential, and I'm sure for the applications that it was designed for it perform superbly. I think vMix would be a great fit for me if I could control the scaling (such as having a tick-box for scaling or straight pass-through).

If I've said anything out of line, just remember that I am a 'newbie'! However, insight or corrections from others would be appreciated!

James
admin  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 12:52:10 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
Hi James,

If you will not be using recording then you can set the vMix output size to 1280x1024 to match the output monitor.
vMix supports two output aspect ratios 4:3 and 16:9, since 1280x1024 is 5:4 you will see some minor aspect ratio distortions when using 4:3 sources.

In the Input Settings window you can adjust the zoom and pan controls under the Position tab to reposition an image if yo do not want it to fill the entire screen.

Regards,

Martin
vMix