logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NHT  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 31, 2017 9:06:36 AM(UTC)
NHT

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Hi guys, I'm about to get my wallet out and buy the parts for a Ruby based system with a Quad 2.

I really want to do this as I love Vmix but it's a lot of money to spend and it's making me nervous.

I don't really want a Tricaster for multiple reasons, but I've used them a lot and know how to keep them stable.

Can you guys put my mind at ease and tell me a Ruby based system can stream and record HD stably for several hours?

Many thanks :)

nachojimenez  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 31, 2017 2:45:56 PM(UTC)
nachojimenez

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I just finished my first production with VMIX. Ruby build with GTX1060 and 2x Decklink Duo 2 + 1 Decklink Monitor (I did not want to work with the mini-sdi connectors of the quad) and 1x M-Audio track eight.

Live streamed (HD 4Mbps to a wowza server) for 8 days, up to 7 hours of daily streaming. 8 SDI cameras in, 1 SDI Out + 1 Fullscreen output, NDI for titling, plus the usual B-roll clips and XAML titles. Live replay of 3 cameras and recording of the main feed plus a secondary clean feed (no overlays) in 50Mpbs MP4 (hardware encoding).

The system behaved great. No major problems. I was kinda worried (also coming from Tricaster world) but it worked fine. Only two minor noticeable things.. the record config popup would take a lot of time to show (and VMIX kinda hanged meanwhile, obviously this was before recording started) and a strange audio pop sometimes, but i never got to find the reason for this.
thanks 1 user thanked nachojimenez for this useful post.
NHT on 10/31/2017(UTC)
NHT  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 31, 2017 3:23:17 PM(UTC)
NHT

nachojimenez wrote:
I just finished my first production with VMIX. Ruby build with GTX1060 and 2x Decklink Duo 2 + 1 Decklink Monitor (I did not want to work with the mini-sdi connectors of the quad) and 1x M-Audio track eight.

Live streamed (HD 4Mbps to a wowza server) for 8 days, up to 7 hours of daily streaming. 8 SDI cameras in, 1 SDI Out + 1 Fullscreen output, NDI for titling, plus the usual B-roll clips and XAML titles. Live replay of 3 cameras and recording of the main feed plus a secondary clean feed (no overlays) in 50Mpbs MP4 (hardware encoding).

The system behaved great. No major problems. I was kinda worried (also coming from Tricaster world) but it worked fine. Only two minor noticeable things.. the record config popup would take a lot of time to show (and VMIX kinda hanged meanwhile, obviously this was before recording started) and a strange audio pop sometimes, but i never got to find the reason for this.

Cheers dude thank you so much for replying, that's exactly what I wanted to hear!

If I could ask a couple of follow up questions, what SSD did you go with what kind of Gig/hr did you get on MP4?

Thanks again!
NHT  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 31, 2017 3:37:33 PM(UTC)
NHT

As a side note I toyed with going with 2 x Duo's but I'm going to use fly leads from the Quad to a separate standard BNC bracket as I was concerned that if anyone tripped over the BNC it would rip the card out the motherboard.
nachojimenez  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 31, 2017 3:56:08 PM(UTC)
nachojimenez

NHT wrote:

If I could ask a couple of follow up questions, what SSD did you go with what kind of Gig/hr did you get on MP4?

Thanks again!

1x Samsung EVO 256GB for the System/B-Rolls/XAML content.
1x Crucial MX300 2TB SSD SATA3 for the replays.
1x 2TB Seagate Firecuda (7200rpm) for the recordings.

We decided to use a regular magnetic drive for the recordings for price reasons: We just unplug and give it to the customer at the end of the event.

The space for the MP4 recording depend on the birtrate that you choose. We decided for a 50Mbps H264, which is equivalent to the max quality our Sony XAVC cams do. Thats around 20GB per hour recorded, 800GB for my 40 hours long event.
thanks 1 user thanked nachojimenez for this useful post.
NHT on 10/31/2017(UTC)
NHT  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 31, 2017 6:09:02 PM(UTC)
NHT

nachojimenez wrote:
NHT wrote:

Thanks again!

1x Samsung EVO 256GB for the System/B-Rolls/XAML content.
1x Crucial MX300 2TB SSD SATA3 for the replays.
1x 2TB Seagate Firecuda (7200rpm) for the recordings.

We decided to use a regular magnetic drive for the recordings for price reasons: We just unplug and give it to the customer at the end of the event.

The space for the MP4 recording depend on the birtrate that you choose. We decided for a 50Mbps H264, which is equivalent to the max quality our Sony XAVC cams do. Thats around 20GB per hour recorded, 800GB for my 40 hours long event.

You sir are an absolute gent.

I had a look at Wowza, looks like a good service for multi platform, is there a way of embedding Wowza's URL into a Facebook page so it doesn't look like a 3rd party client?

Thank you again for your time.
nachojimenez  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 31, 2017 8:11:56 PM(UTC)
nachojimenez

We use wowza as a server, not as a service. That is, we have a Wowza Streaming Engine license installed in our own server, and stream to that. I have not tested the wowza cloud server, which is what i think you're referring to. In WSE, there's a concept called "Stream Targets" that allow you to retransmit to several different providers at the same time. We use that extensively and instead of streaming straight to the CDN, we stream to our server, and then from there we can monitor the feed, store it, and re-transmit to any CDN that the customer wants (including several at once). It also allows for transcoding to different qualities, or changing protocols (from RTMP to Silverlight, RTSP, HLS, etc..). Out set up for this event was:

VMIX -- RTMP --> Our Wowza Server -
|-> Monitoring (low latency)
|-> Recording straight to server (DVR)
|-> Customer's CDN of choice (one or as many Stream Targets as needed: FB/Youtube/Akamai/etc..)

Wowza Streaming Engine allows a lot of flexibility, and if that's not enough, developing your own plugins is easy if you know Java. It takes a bit of time to get used to it, but once you get the hang of it, it's a breeze to set up.

Anyway, if you are new in streaming , stick to a public CDN for now until you get the hang of it. Youtube Live or FB Live are free and will both work "out of the box" with VMIX, so those are the best to get your feed wet unless you need some special feature, or you are managing private/sensitive content.
NHT  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 1, 2017 12:39:55 PM(UTC)
NHT

Awesome, thanks for the info.

I come from a broadcast background and have used Tricasters to do Twitch and FB streams but always on the default CDN.

I'm excited to put a Vmix system together as I think it offers more 'broadcast' options than the Tricaster for less money.

Your input's been so helpful, please let me know if I can help you with anything techie.

:)