logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Rinsky  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 7, 2013 10:14:41 AM(UTC)
Rinsky

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Hi!

I do sports broadcasting and have been testing vMix for a while now. Me and my colleagues absolutely love this software, it's almost as good as a new HD Tricaster and costs only a fraction of it.

Since it already has a video delay/instant replay feature, it's already a better single product for sports broadcasting, but if you could also integrate a simpler replay system with different camera angles like the 3Play from Newtek it would totally kick the competitions butt.

I think it should be like this (if possible):

Use the Multicorder function to record(on a ssd)every desired video input and build a system where you can directly play those videos, while recording.
To make a replay you only make shortcuts in the timeline of the videos.
It should be 1 Input where you can control every single.
After creating a replay you should be able to adjust the lenght of the videos and to tick/untick an Input (e.g. if the cameramann didn't catch the action)
You should be able to predetermine the order, the speed, the transitions, etc. of the replays.
There should also be a "master-speed/control-field" where you can live interact with the replays by slowing it down or rewinding it.
You could have 3 different buttons to create a replay (short, medium, long) - it should be possible to predetermine the length of each button in the settings and to adjust the lenght of every replay after creating it.
You could name created replays to obtain a better overview.
By clicking the live-button you can always watch the live input of every multicorder recording. (would be great if this replay system could get an own row on the multiview screen for an even better overview)
It would also be great to switch the replay camera angle without starting the next angle at the beginning. What i mean is to start the first angle of a 15 second replay at the beginning and then switch in the 10th second to a different angle to get a better view. This feature is of course only possible if the multicorder records totally in sync.

I made a simple graphic for a better understanding:
UserPostedImage

I hope you all agree that this would be a great feature to add. I know that it is a lot of work, but I think it is worth it.

Kind regards,
Patrick
thanks 1 user thanked Rinsky for this useful post.
imagebotique on 8/7/2013(UTC)
r@wisla  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 7, 2013 11:41:25 AM(UTC)
r@wisla

Man

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Marvellous!
imagebotique  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 7, 2013 12:03:41 PM(UTC)
imagebotique

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I agree Rinsky.

I posted something very similar a couple days ago. I was close to purchasing a tricaster 455 system which would not have replay (cost of a additional $20,000) then I found Vmix. Vidblaster is a program similar to Vmix but does not run nearly as efficiently and introduced something similar so I know it is popular. Vmix will be priceless if this is implemented.
doggy  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 7, 2013 1:24:35 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
The basis looks very similar to tagging functions in video coaching software using set shortcuts to catalog all types of events without actually splitting physically the video.
petraproductions  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 8, 2013 2:12:56 AM(UTC)
petraproductions

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
+1
admin  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 8, 2013 5:45:43 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
I'm receptive to making incremental improvements to the video delay capability, but a system like that proposed would likely
require a separate system to run (much like 3Play).

So perhaps we can concentrate on some suggestions to make the video delay feature a little easier to use with a couple of extra features and go from there.

For example, I could look at integrating all video delay "saved" clips into a single input with a list next to the preview
that you could select from, rename, add and remove.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
Rinsky  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 8, 2013 2:18:42 PM(UTC)
Rinsky

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Great to hear that you want to improve the replay system (a list for all replays would make it a lot easier to use), but why would a system like that need a seperate system/machine to run it on? I think 1 person would be able to control it and if cpu usage is the problem, then you can always stream your mixed output from an external device.

Vidblaster has 3 different options to do instant replay, one of them is similar to the system i described, but is a pain in the ass to use.

If you integrate a system like that, you could easily charge 1000$ for a "special instant replay" edition or something.
The price would be still a lot below the prices of the competition.

Btw, a little add-on to my request:

There should also be the opportunity to make something like a highlight real by just dropping the shortcuts/instant replays into a seperate list, maybe with the option to add music to that input, and render it, to make it a "real" video.

Regards,
Patrick
Kelvin  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 9, 2013 12:05:23 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
I've done productions with multiple camera angles and multiple video delay modules. It would be great if all of the video delay modules were synced up so the replay could be shown from multiple angles. Vidblaster has that capability in its simple delay modules, but you only get one chance to see the replay. I like being able to watch the replay multilple times before moving on - additional camera angles would add to it.
admin  
#9 Posted : Sunday, August 18, 2013 11:40:26 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
Would everybody like to see all the video delay sources synchronised together? I.E Dragging the position slider on one will also adjust the others?

This would require all video delays to be the same length which may cause problems if users are currently setting them to different lengths
to save memory.

I'm also looking at some ways of doubling the amount of time that can be stored in existing memory, but it largely depends on what CPU is available.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
IceStream  
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 18, 2013 2:07:39 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Martin,
This would be advantageous for tightening up clips for playback later but I'm not sure how feasible it is to use live or how it will affect immediate output of video delay. Typically, I only have a 20 to 25 second window to air an instant replay which means having to use the video delay input and not saved clips because I have to get to it within 5 or 6 seconds after the event to playback approximately 8 seconds @ 50%. If I were to use two different angles, that's 4 seconds from each angle which means angle 2 video delay would have to be at least 8 seconds longer than angle 1 in video delay settings (most likely unless the system can process and save the second angle clip within those first 7 or 8 seconds of angle 1 playback.
Kason  
#11 Posted : Sunday, August 18, 2013 8:55:06 PM(UTC)
Kason

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
@Martin

I've been an exclusive user for Tricaster systems for both SD and HD productions in the past. But Vmix is a huge game changer from my 2 days with the system. Good on you for finding a need and filling it air-tight.

Your system is currently very kind to low grade computers for SD (and I can only imagine, just as kind to mid grade for HD)
If you do implement a "multi-view delay" I have a few suggestions:

1) Don't replace the current delay set-up. So one could still have separate delays running to save on HDD space (Trying to incorporate Vmix into hockey rink that I do work for)
This is HUGE for unmanned wide angle goal cameras, to have them with a 30 second replay while the other cameras get what they need)

2) Assuming the user does: add input --> Multi-view delay and configures it much like the multi-view screen i've seen (simple drag operation) perhaps it creates a preview "block" of cameras that you can select from: Premiere CS 5+ and FCP 6+ have had this feature. See
for a decent example. (not me- never seen this video before. Just has a good show of how it would work)

The only difference between Vmix and the premiere version (sourced above) would be the slider that is already in the software for playback speed control- and there are no "do overs" This could be done on the fly to play important plays in sports from multiple angles. In hockey it would be something like -- Wide shot of the ice -cut to- behind the net showing the forward breaking away -cut to- the same wide shot has zoomed in on the play and shows more detail -cut to and decrease speed to 33%- behind the net shot showing the puck going in the net.

3) An amazing addition (somewhat hinted at by the OP) is the inclusion of metadata. I'm no engineer and have no idea how difficult this would be. But to be able to write notes on the clips as they are captured- (I'm focused on the title of the clip . Whenever I delay out of the SD version of vMix it auto labels the clip as date time etc.)

Here is an example of a meltdown feature through ZePlay ($7,500 for a 4 in 4 out HD-SDI model)

So back in vMix- this could operate like this:
When you have created a clip and are replaying it or have paused it, you have a little window at the bottom to label the clip name at any time- until you hit "save" at which point it saves the MPEG-4 to HDD.

Reasoning: If everything goes my way at the Ice Rink, we will be webcasting 2 high level youth hockey teams using vMix as our exclusive SD platform. From these games, I can save the footage (Name each goal #8 Goal. etc) store the footage on a server. then come back to it near the end of the season. I can then approach each player individually and offer to cut a highlight reel of the entire season for $XYZ.99 -- If the clips are already named from vMix, it doesn't take much filtering to get EVERY clip of #8 team A in to my premiere CC editor and cut them together with filters so they can try to draft in to the pro-leagues. This money made can then be piped back into the program, to buy the upgraded SD version, or even the HD version + Cameras for the rink.

I've seen many secondary school (high school) football players (huge sport in Texas, USA) pay upwards of $3,000 USD to get a highlight reel of several of their games. With vMix, you could undercut any other bid and deliver a superior product because you aren't ISOing the footage, nor are you wading amidst MANY replays like in the Tricaster's time-warp system (i've tried that before. It was a nightmare going from MVI 001 - MVI 999 to try and find every touchdown.

Just my two cents.
Great software and I look forward to getting a key soon! -- Side-note I JUST missed the free HD possibility with studiotechlive by a week--- This would have been my entry for an HD key.

~Kason
thanks 1 user thanked Kason for this useful post.
imagebotique on 8/21/2013(UTC)
IceStream  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:03:21 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
Maybe this is already possible but I would like to be able to adjust the playback speed on the fly, much like a jog/shuttle wheel. Currently, the playback speed only activates on mouse button release.
Kelvin  
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2013 2:11:34 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Martin, the synchronized video delay would work very well for me. For waterskiing events, there is typically a 20 second pass followed by a 1 minute delay waiting for the next pass. That would be plenty of time to replay the full pass from multiple angles. I usually set all the video delays the same at 30 seconds.
pcrisp  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 11:45:20 AM(UTC)
pcrisp

In these saved clips it would be huge if you could set in and out points that are then saved.

admin wrote:
I'm receptive to making incremental improvements to the video delay capability, but a system like that proposed would likely
require a separate system to run (much like 3Play).

So perhaps we can concentrate on some suggestions to make the video delay feature a little easier to use with a couple of extra features and go from there.

For example, I could look at integrating all video delay "saved" clips into a single input with a list next to the preview
that you could select from, rename, add and remove.

Regards,

Martin
vMix