logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
peterphelan  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 3, 2013 8:24:33 AM(UTC)
peterphelan

Groups: Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi,
Just getting to grips with the trial and wondered if there is any advantage in using the S-Video output from my PAL format Panasonic GS400 rather than the normal DV Firewire port I use when simply transferring video over to my PC.

At present using this, I get the video delay of course, so would this be reduced by using the S-Video out port and into Vmix? But would there then be a reduction in video quality by using the S-Video data signal?

Thanks
Peter
Greg  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 3, 2013 9:46:41 AM(UTC)
Greg

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Peter
The GS400 is a great little camera, I have one myself. I would stay with the firewire connection. The video should be better and the color will be better. If you are worried about the audio getting out of sync then have your audio feed going into the GS 400 so it will come into Vmix with the video.

Greg
peterphelan  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 3, 2013 11:10:34 AM(UTC)
peterphelan

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Greg,
And thanks for the quick reply. You have confirmed my original thought on staying with the Firewire cable. I have only a 0.8 or 0.9 mb upload from my home office, so this is the reason I was wanting to stay at SD and run all my output at 360p. The GS400 running in its 16:9 Pro Cine (frame mode) the pseudo progressive, certainly produces a quite nice result.

As for the audio, I think I had worked out that in order to activate any delay, the audio needs to go to separate inputs within Vmix, where each shows up as an audio source and can be treated separately. However I have all my audio going into my mixer, so if I add delay on the Vmix output, I get delay on everything; including audio that is part of separate videos that are played.

So maybe a number of sound cards would solve that? Then bring the audio from them into separate channels on the mixer? Or will I need something like a Behringer Shark on an fx send and run my camera audio, (which goes directly into a mixer XLR channel rather than the camera itself,) into that to obtain the delay "outside" of Vmix and via the mixer?

But overall, I think Vmix is a very nice and complete software solution. I have been running a trial of VidBlaster, but so far, I think Vmix will suit me better.

Thanks again.
Peter