logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
atmonauti  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 3, 2017 5:37:01 PM(UTC)
atmonauti

Groups: Registered

Hey everyone,

We're looking at switching over to vMix 4K from Livestream Studio, and between this forum and the user guide, I've been able to answer most of my questions.

I have one question left. Sorry if I missed this being spoken about elsewhere.

We do a show every week that is quite graphics heavy. We use the following template, with the static image behind the PnP shot changing out 20-30 times a show;

UserPostedImage

In Livestream Studio, I can create the entirety of the comp in one graphics channel (minus the bug, which is always in the topmost GFX channel by itself since I want it always to be visible). This appears to be less simple in vMix. How would one go about organizing 20-30 images and easily switching out the static image? Would I have to use three overlay channels? Overlay 1 being the background, Overlay 2 being the static image, and Overlay 3 being the PnP shot? Is there any easier way than that?

Keep in mind that each image is generally a different size, so I'm not sure if using a data set would help.

Thanks!
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 3, 2017 6:53:00 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ atmonauti

Welcome to the vMix Forums!
I would explore options with the "MultiView" Feature (or as I prefer to call it "multilayer").
Different sized images might pose a bit of a challenge if you want them all to be more or less standardized, but that is the simplest and most direct method to do what you describe.

Ice

thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
atmonauti on 10/3/2017(UTC)
atmonauti  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 3, 2017 7:59:35 PM(UTC)
atmonauti

Thanks Ice! That seems like a proper start.

So, if I set up, say, 30 multiview inputs, would a mid-range machine be able to pull that off without pushing the CPU/memory usage past 100%? Is it smartly set up so that those inputs are only pulling resources if in an overlay channel?

Also, wondering if I could set up an Xkeys controller to step through the show, so to speak, so I can press a "next" button or what have you to cue the next comp on a specific overlay channel? This was another thing I was having a bit of trouble finding here or in the manual. The less time my hands are on a mouse and keyboard, the better. That's what drives me crazy with Studio.

Appreciate the help.
richardgatarski  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 4, 2017 2:37:00 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
@ atmonauti

You don't need 30 Inputs, just one Photos Input.

Add a Picture Input with your background image (*).
Add a Color Input (select Transparent) which will be your "template". Change it to use your background image as MultiView layer 1.
Put all images in one Windows folder. Add a Photos Input, using that folder as its source.
Use the Photos Input as a source for the second MultiView layer in your template, adjusting size and position
Create your frame as a transparent png, with only the frame, use an Input with it as the third layer
Add your camera as the fourth layer in the template (adjusting its size and position to fit in the frame)

Yes, you can use X-keys (or a small midi board) and the shortcuts NextPicture and PreviousPicture to step through the images in your Photos input.

As Ice mentions, diferrent image sizes might cause a problem. But VMix will scale them to fit, keeping aspect ratio if you select the Input's Aspect ratio as "Source".

(* you could build your template on this Input, but having it separate makes it easier to change the background if you wanna do that later on)
thanks 1 user thanked richardgatarski for this useful post.
atmonauti on 10/4/2017(UTC)
atmonauti  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 4, 2017 11:43:23 AM(UTC)
atmonauti

Ah, interesting, thanks Richard! I really appreciate you stepping me through the process on that one.

I guess the best way for me to get around the image size problem is to pull them all into Photoshop prior to the show, and build them out as 1920x1080 images with alpha, placing the image exactly where I need to. Then, if I follow your steps, I should be right as rain.

Thanks again!