logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Duff TV  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 30, 2017 8:40:27 PM(UTC)
Duff TV

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
This one may sound a little odd but is there anyone out there that has out experimented with filming in 1080i but recording in vMix in the recording stage at 1080P?

I shoot sports videos and do a lot of YouYube live streaming and also sell games to customers who download Mpeg4 copies.

We have stuck with going 720 50P all the way as my cameras(Canon xf305's) only output either 1080i 50P,1080 25p or 720 50p.

Going 720 50P has meant no converting of frame rate and the results are good but what's got me thinking is a test I did recently been comparing 720 50p to a 1080 50i image.

Recently I did a quick test in the studio just filming a prop and to my eyes 1080 50i looked sharper than 720 50p

Given my PC has a 1060 graphics card and vMix does such clean recordings, I'm therefore wondering what the conversion will look like.

I did this very test 2 years ago but that was on 660 graphics card. Having said that I thought the result was not bad but just a slight little fuzzy.

I'm tipping the 1860 could make a big difference here.

1080i 50i to 1080 50p anyone done a test?
zigzagsky  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 1, 2017 4:56:40 AM(UTC)
zigzagsky

Groups: Registered

Although I am not very familiar with vMix yet, what you are asking is something that is more of a general broadcasting question so hopefully I can help...

Not sure if there is much benefit of going from 1080i to 1080p to be honest. Fast motion will probably not look as smooth as expected and for a given encode quality you have now doubled the bandwidth and storage payload. You will also have footage containing deinterlacing artefacts which will also affect the ability for the final stream encoders to generate a good output.

This would affect not just your vMix system but also the clients viewing the streams since they will need a lot more bandwidth to view in 1080p.