logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
zigzagsky  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 30, 2017 1:19:41 PM(UTC)
zigzagsky

Groups: Registered

Forgive me if this has been asked before but I couldn't see it when I searched.

Currently evaluating vMix on a trial basis and have hit a bit of a wall with regards to transitioning to and from a video input with graphics overlay.

What we need to do is transition to a live incoming feed with an lower 3rd overlay already superimposed and then transition back to the clean studio feed.

I can see how to do the transition to the incoming feed (put the overlay up on the preview and then trans to it on the programme output, but if I then select the clean studio on the preview and transition back, the overlay remains even though the preview shows the clean studio feed.

I assume I'm missing something obvious with regards to using the overlay feature but it's not clear from the user guide how to achieve this?
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 30, 2017 2:02:19 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi (again)

you can do it very easily by using triggers on your inputs for example. Putting your live input feed will trigger the lower-third when needed.

But you can also use the multiview feature for your input. Set your lower-third as Overlay 1 in your input. Then you can remove this overlay with a shortcut.

Another solution regarding the method you mentioned (with preview) is to manually or automatically remove the overlay. Manual is easy to understand, automatic can be defined by a duration with triggers.

Check vMix YouTube channel, there are dozens of tutorials and how-tos.

One advice: forget what you already know about DSK and MEs. You have to understand that with vMix each input is a potential ME with up to 10 layers available (called a multiview input), you can use a multiview in a multiview, and on top of that you can still use overlays (1,2,3,4).

It's quite different approach from Tricasters or Atems, but when you have this figured out, you'll love it as only your creativity is the limit.

Guillaume
zigzagsky  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 30, 2017 2:50:58 PM(UTC)
zigzagsky

Thanks for the info Guillaume.

Since the initial post I did discover (as you mentioned) that it can be done using the multi-viewer facility but the issue with that is the lower 3rd will not always be the same for a given input. For instance we may have 2 reporters working remotely or we may be interviewing different people so need to change the lower 3rd quickly and easily. Using the Multi-viewer method seems to need a bit of config each time the graphic is changed.

However your first idea using triggers might be an option once I've worked out how to use them.

Your final bit of advice might also hold a possible workflow solution. From what you are saying, I could set up the remote feed as an input with the overlay already integrated and therefore it appears as a composite? Can I still easily change the lower 3rd and view it in the preview before going to air?

As you say, it seems a very different way of working and I guess we just have to try and find the best way to adapt. Just trying to work out the best, least complicated and close as possible to 'traditional', method to achieve what we want as what tends to happen is that in the heat of the moment, when things get hairy, people tend to drop back to familiar methods.

DWAM  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 30, 2017 6:22:17 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Quote:
Since the initial post I did discover (as you mentioned) that it can be done using the multi-viewer facility but the issue with that is the lower 3rd will not always be the same for a given input. For instance we may have 2 reporters working remotely or we may be interviewing different people so need to change the lower 3rd quickly and easily. Using the Multi-viewer method seems to need a bit of config each time the graphic is changed.

There again you have to understand that the best way to use vMix when it comes to lower-thirds is to use the native xaml titles. When you do, changing the content in a lower-third is as simple as a right click and selecting a value in a list.
Please check how to use xaml titles and stop thinking as you did before with static graphics containing static text values in a series of PNG files for use in DSK. This is prehistorical process... ;o)

Besides when you will start working with the API commands you will start to realize how powerful it can be.
There commands very useful for this use case you mentioned here.

Using API commands is very important if you want to get the best.
https://www.vmix.com/hel...utFunctionReference.html

As it was mentioned by Ice Stream in the other post, there is a third party utility called vMix UTC which is an amazing companion for vMix when it comes to title management and many other stuff.

I did many tutorials to help users to get started with UTC. You should have a look. It extends vMix capabilites especially when you work as I understand with a crew. You can split the production needs over multiple guys and multiple computers. It uses remote API commands to vMix and it includes a way to script processes and automate many things.

https://forums.vmix.com/....aspx?g=posts&t=9393

Take time to study all these solutions. vMix is very "open", there are always many ways to achieve your needs. Forget what you already know, you'll discover a wondeful world where creativity is the only limit.

Guillaume

zigzagsky  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 1, 2017 4:51:01 AM(UTC)
zigzagsky

Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for the links to the API calls and your tutorials. Looks like we have a lot to look through during our 60 day trial.

Whilst it may seem 'prehistoric' to have the lower 3rd's already made up with the appropriate text, it does mean that we have the advantage of them already prepared so no last minute typing, or have I missed the point?

Brian
DWAM  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 1, 2017 8:23:58 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Hi!

just watch this :

The only thing Tim forgot to mention here is precisely how to manage a list of text values. Just click the + sign in title editor to add multiple values for a single xaml template, then right click your xaml input to call the right value to display...

It's also possible to use/associate personalized images for each text value (ex: the ID picture of each speaker).

As you can see now, it's all dynamic, like a database... My preferred method is to use CSV files to populate text values.

Oh btw, you can also use datasource (XML, JSON, CSV...) to manage titles...

Enjoy!
Guillaume
DWAM  
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 1, 2017 8:31:06 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Globally, this is worth watching : https://www.youtube.com/...eos?disable_polymer=true
zigzagsky  
#8 Posted : Sunday, October 1, 2017 12:46:17 PM(UTC)
zigzagsky

Ok, having watched the video tutorial on MultiViewer it's starting to make a bit more sense now.