logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Appadams  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 4, 2017 2:20:19 PM(UTC)
Appadams

Groups: Registered

I am looking for recommendations Thank You

Ditching wirecast-asking for recommendations
mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 4, 2017 5:59:52 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
I made the switch from Wirecast some time ago. I purchased Wirecast v4, later upgrading to v5. I did upgrade to Wirecast v6...but can't see any value in paying them any more money.

vMix is dramatically more capable, on less hardware. Testament to this is the fact that vMix has been capable of 4K/UHD operation for a long while. Wirecast doesn't do it even now.

Wirecast has limited NDI capability, with some of it only in the more costly Pro version. vMix has comprehensive NDI capability in all versions.

Telestream is a sizable company with a range of products. Wirecast is just one product. They sat on their laurels and left an opening for vMix and others. vMix is a smaller, more nimble operation. Much more focused, and it shows in the product.

As to the hardware, your best bet is to simply download the software and try it on your existing hardware. The trial license is a full-function 60 day license, so you can really learn how it's going to work on your host box. You should be able to use both the webcam and the Canon camera, given a suitable HDMI capture device.
thanks 1 user thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
seb666 on 9/7/2017(UTC)
Peter B  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 4, 2017 6:40:11 PM(UTC)
Peter B

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 36 post(s)
We run vMix on 2010 MacPros with bootcamp, it works well.

You will probably need a new gpu, pending how many layers you need.

The usb camera will have far more delay than the hdmi, it may be problem.

vMix, +1000, do it, no thinking required.
SportsNetUSA.net  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 4, 2017 8:11:42 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Appadams wrote:
I am looking for recommendations Thank You

Ditching wirecast-asking for recommendations

Watched your video. I would go along with mjgraves, test it and see if it can do what you need it to do initially. I would think about getting a Nvidia 750 if it's in your budget.

As far as capture, you should be able to find something on the vMix Supported Hardware Video Capture Hardware list that is a PCI-E card that will deliver good results for a reasonable price. Or go the used eBay route if you're comfortable buying there.
Speegs  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 4, 2017 9:07:58 PM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
I'd add a GTX 1060 because I like that video card bang for buck, it should handle what you need for a while (you don't need it for 2 cameras, but 4-6 cameras and encoding video with GPU afterwards it will come in handy). Might be worth going to Windows 10 just because you want to start out with something more modern out of the gate. I could see drivers giving problems with Windows 7 in your future.

You didn't mention your capture device. On a tight budget maybe Aver Media or Black Magic. Otherwise if given the choice I've grown fond of Magewell devices and the way they "just work".

These are just my thoughts, I don't know what I don't know about your setup.
Appadams  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 4, 2017 10:46:40 PM(UTC)
Appadams

Thank you everyone, yes I do need a capture card.I didn't even think about that! Speegs mentioned a couple. any more would be greatly appreciated.
nicademus  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 5, 2017 8:55:45 PM(UTC)
nicademus

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
mjgraves wrote:
I made the switch from Wirecast some time ago. I purchased Wirecast v4, later upgrading to v5. I did upgrade to Wirecast v6...but can't see any value in paying them any more money.

vMix is dramatically more capable, on less hardware. Testament to this is the fact that vMix has been capable of 4K/UHD operation for a long while. Wirecast doesn't do it even now.

Wirecast has limited NDI capability, with some of it only in the more costly Pro version. vMix has comprehensive NDI capability in all versions.

Telestream is a sizable company with a range of products. Wirecast is just one product. They sat on their laurels and left an opening for vMix and others. vMix is a smaller, more nimble operation. Mush more focused, and it shows in the product.

As to the hardware, your best bet is to simply download the software and try it on your existing hardware. The trial license is a full-function 60 day license, so you can really learn how it's going to work on your host box. You should be able to use both the webcam and the Canon camera, given a suitable HDMI capture device.

I am eval'ing Vmix too - I did exactly the same, Wirecast from V5, 6 to 7 - Top version...But got no benefits that Vmix didn't offer (except maybe more than 4 overlays - but there is a way around that anyway...hehe)
Spot on with the Less hardware aspect...I was having to go TOP i7 with Mucho Memory with Wirecast, and the moment you start a stream you get 90% CPU usage! Particularly if the Stream size didn't match the input, etc.
Now with Vmix - I can Record an ISO to HDD from an input/output, Stream, and Record ISOs and have more than 20 active input, including an active youtube webpage, and midi controllers, and so many more things running at once...and I have never seen it hit any more than 20% CPU on the same Hardware as Wirecast - I can even use it on Lower spec devices now, such as a Laptop with a USB3 capture device...
SportsNetUSA.net  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 5, 2017 10:48:38 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Appadams wrote:
Thank you everyone, yes I do need a capture card.I didn't even think about that! Speegs mentioned a couple. any more would be greatly appreciated.

As Speegs said, the Aver Media and Black Magic Intensity Pro cards if funds are tight, maybe throw the Elgato HD60 Pro into that mix too. It's priced in the same range as BMD Intensity Pro 4K.
seb666  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2017 5:32:01 PM(UTC)
seb666

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
As others said: give the trial a chance and see what kind of functions of the higher priced versions you really need.

I never regretted switching from Wirecast to vMix. I was beta tester for version 7 and horrified with Telestream's interface ideas. Most beta testers complained, but Telestream didn't care. They oversimplified it and use cases of older versions needed 10 times more mouse action than before. The performance in 7 was also worse than in version 6.

vMix was a relief and I don't regret ditching my Mac Pro trashcan and working with an ordinary Windows 10 PC. It just works as it should! And of course it has much more features than Wirecast...