logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jamesgid  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 14, 2017 7:29:06 PM(UTC)
jamesgid

Groups: Registered

Hi All,

I am mostly new to SDI so my apologies for newbie questions.

I purchased a BM DeckLink 4K Extreme thinking I would get 2x SDI inputs available to vMix. I was also wanting to use a HDMI out for main output. However, when I add a new source in vMix I can only see one SDI from the DeckLink 4K Extreme. Have I misunderstood the specs of the DeckLink 4K Extreme or am I doing something wrong?

I assumed this card would save me occupying 3 PCI slots for individual mini monitor and mini recorders (which would have been cheaper).

Even on the DeckLink software - it only shows one SDI for configuration. I think I have stuffed up.

Does anyone have any info on this?
ask  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 14, 2017 10:38:16 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
You probably should have opted for the Decklink Duo 2. But the specs show that there are two inputs. You will need to go into the BM Desktop Video Utility and configure the ports for two independent SDI feeds. Note it is the two bottom SDI connectors that are inputs. The top two are outputs. https://www.blackmagicde...klink/techspecs/W-DLK-04

Look at Page 17 of the manual. My guess is that you select single link.

Manual: https://www.blackmagicde...Desktop_Video_Manual.pdf
thanks 1 user thanked ask for this useful post.
jamesgid on 8/15/2017(UTC)
jamesgid  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 12:04:09 AM(UTC)
jamesgid

We needed 4K, so while the Decklink Duo 2 was out first option, we realised it only did 1080.

I did read about the single link and dual link when going over the card specs - but there is no where that I can select those options for the SDI input through the BM Desktop Utility app. I will check again though.

Thanks for your constructive comments :)
jamesgid  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 1:18:18 AM(UTC)
jamesgid

Found on BM Forum:

The Decklink 4k Extreme (regular and 12G) have inputs A and B. Those models are not multi - channel and do not function like the Decklink DUO or Quad. The A and B connections are for dual link support or 3D stereographic support.

Found Single link option for output, but didn't accomplish anything on the input side. So this card was an over expensive option for one input! At least we have an output option in the same card.
jimmy_webs  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 6:40:14 PM(UTC)
jimmy_webs

Hello there!
As it was stated before it is indeed a single channel card, BUT you can use hdmi output as an independent output channel. Howewer, you cant use hdmi as an input in this case. We tried to use this behaviour vise versa (sdi out, hdmi in) but its working on one version of drivers/vmix and do not on other.
I personaly do not recommend to use this feature on a regular basis, but it can save you sometime.