logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
isaia  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:41:44 AM(UTC)
isaia

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi

I had been trying to get my audio stream fixed up as I am having a very dynamic input from very low volume to very loud volume on the same audio input.
I have spent time and money to get this fixed by researching software compression tools then purchasing a audio interface Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 advertised as having software with hardware support for audio compression and limiter

The disappointment..

I have installed the audio interface and I just figure it out after that when focusrite was referring to software they were referring to VST plugins for compression and limiting.
as I could figure out Vmix does not have support for audio interfaces with VST support.. in other words I could put the audio interface in the bin.
then I have looked to see if Vmix would offer such an important audio function maybe more important then many other as it must be many other users having same problem as I have.

Well I could not find anything except a volume for audio control.

Now if there is something that I have been missing please let me know as I really need a way of compressing limiting the audio badly.

If there is anyone else having same problems please put the +1 here so the Admin - Developer can be provided with the feedback and maybe we will see some improvement in this direction.

What I see suitable is:
1 get a built in real time compressor / limiter software (a fix) cheap fir the user and suitable for all users, benefits all users
OR
2 get vst support fir audio interfaces purchased this way the user can choose to pay more or less for better tools to be used with Vmix (the best fix for the user) suitable for the users ready to pay for an audio interface or for VST plugins, benefits paying users.

What can I say.. I really need a solution for this audio problem. If someone has it please share it.
thanks 1 user thanked isaia for this useful post.
thecloudmediagroup on 8/27/2013(UTC)
h2video.nl  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2013 7:51:31 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
i don't know your completecsetup, but this is the method i am using now:

i send the audio source via a sennheiser wireless direcly to on of my main camera's and use this audio source. this way ii can use two extra variables to have a smooth audio capture

1 the settings on the sennheiser
2 the settings ( limiter etc) on the camera.

furter settings on the audio source and the settings in vmix.

this has solved many problems for me after experimenting with limiters and all that. it' simple and effective and when recording on the camera as well you have also a master recording of the sound asell. most of all, it does not require more hardwre and expenses, just some tweaking.

cheers,
stefan
thanks 1 user thanked h2video.nl for this useful post.
Ario on 3/1/2019(UTC)
isaia  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2013 7:57:26 AM(UTC)
isaia

Thank you for sharing your experience Stefan

I am not trying to buy a 2000$ camera to be able to have all this features built in, instead fixing all this in Vmix software will provide access to all users to this so needed features.
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:34:30 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ isaia
I'm not sure I completely understand your problem, can you elaborate further as to how or why you have two extremes on the same audio input?

Ice
h2video.nl  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:39:36 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
hi isaya,
i m not using an expensive camera. any cam with an external audio / mic input will have some sort of limeting function. just check out the possibilities you have on you current hardware... that's my point.

and have a look at the audio source, because that's where the problem is originating.

maybe if you give om more details what you ar trying to do and what the nature of the problem is the forum is able to help you.

good luck.
isaia  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2013 4:58:24 AM(UTC)
isaia

IceStream

We are streaming live from a live mixing board
when songs we have a lot of volume
when speech the volume is less

we need a proper way to compress audio for a uniform level at output.

the mixing board we have is a mackie 24 chanels and we have live auditorium so we are mixing for whoever is in the room, we acquire the sound from the mixer and stream it.

it is uncompressed and unless i buy a hardware compressor limiter there is no way to change the way sound is streamed as vmix does not offer any audio alteration whatsoever.

the truth is that the livestreaming clients have to adapt the speakers volume more then once due the fact that the audio is not compressed and limited.

what camera would do audio input with proper audio limiter/compression and have Full HD composite out? thank you.
admin  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2013 6:55:54 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4157 time(s) in 1494 post(s)
The audio functionality in vMix 10 has gone under a bit of a revamp that will allow some more effects in the future.
In the latest vMix 10 Preview each audio input now has an additional Gain (or amplification) option in case the source has no gain option.

Compression is one of the options being looked into for vMix 11.

Alternatively, Behringer sell some cheap compressors and some of their budget mixers (< $100) have compression features built in.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

Luc Henrion  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:56:19 AM(UTC)
Luc Henrion

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Would VST compatibility not be a (much) more elegant solution, and more "future-proof" ? There are tons of plug-in's available in VST format, and some of them probably even (much) better than their hardware equivalent. Surely better than a Behringer...

Here's a list, for example:
http://www.gersic.com/plugins/index.php?daCat=4
admin  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:32:51 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

There are a few technical challenges to VST support, the biggest being most plugins are only 32 bit.
(There is an adapter program available, but its all quite clunky to set up)

Put it this way, the amount of work involved in something like VST support would be more than simply
adding the effects that most people want built in any ready to go!

Luc Henrion  
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2013 10:11:14 AM(UTC)
Luc Henrion

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Interesting. I would have believed just the opposite !
BTW, I don't see why 32 bit is an issue: I run loads of identical 32 bit plugs both on my XP (32 bit) machines and my win7/64 new laptop... would an "invisible adapter" be present while I don't know about it?
admin  
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2013 11:53:49 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

32bit plugins can only run in a 32bit program.
(Doesn't matter if windows is 64bit or not)

But most users are now running vMix x64, so they would not be able to use any of these 32bit plugins if VST support were added.

(Most audio programs are still only 32bit)
Egriswold  
#12 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2013 5:45:30 PM(UTC)
Egriswold

Man
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 32 post(s)
found this in another forum http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus/website/index.html
only $39 and has VST support. Granted it's 32bit but hey if I can use virtual cable to route output then I'm game. Most of my clients use vMix 32 because they insist on bringing QuickTime video in which the 64bit version doesn't like. Imagine having vMix and that mixer interface up on my displays WOW looks cool !! and people love eye candy.
thecloudmediagroup  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 10:13:33 PM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Wow. . . .You beat me to the punch. It has been a while since I have been in the forum but I logged in today to request the same feature!

This would make such an unbelievable difference for myself and my clients. I have had to spend hundreds of dollars and lots of hours of research to get around this.

For those of you wanting a work around the program below has helped me more that I can explain. The program is called Virtual Audio Stream. It's only $29 and is worth 20 times that. This program creates 4 virtual inputs and outputs on your computer. You can place VST plugins inbetween the routing of these devices combined with physical audio inputs. This allowed us to compress, eq, limit and some other mastering tasks to make our audio sound so much better using our favorite Waves plugins.

http://www.virtualaudiostream.com/

Unfortunately, because the Black Magic audio capture does not show up as an audio device, this program cannot be used in conjunction with the Black Magic Intensity Pro.

With that being said, the support of VST plugins would be monumental in the use of this program. I would be willing to pay an extra $200 per copy of this program to be able to insert VST or some sort of DirectShow audio plugins. Getting Normalized audio for video has been such a challenge. The ability to throw on Waves "MaxxVolume" and an L3 Ultramaximizer is invaluable to me. The ability to process audio is key in systems that I setup. A build in compressor or limiter would be amazing to have. I second this request!!
thecloudmediagroup  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 10:19:48 PM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

admin wrote:
32bit plugins can only run in a 32bit program.
(Doesn't matter if windows is 64bit or not)

But most users are now running vMix x64, so they would not be able to use any of these 32bit plugins if VST support were added.

(Most audio programs are still only 32bit)

However Waves, for example, are 32 and 64bit compatible. Would the support for VST pluggins not be able to be integrated in their respective vMix version?
thecloudmediagroup  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2013 10:34:42 PM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

I think the main function for the VST support is setting up a realtime mastering chain for the final audio. Most end users, I would guess, do not have the budget for high end processing of audio for broadcast. As best they may have a nice compressor or single band limiter for their master volume feed. Even with a few small pieces of gear, a good normalized audio signal for cheap is tough.

Now for us, the challenge is getting to a broadcast level signal of audio, which in a hardware based setting is expensive. On the low end there may be something like the Dbx Finalizer 96k or all the way up to a WavesMaxx BFL unit which is $2000-$3000 for the unit.

I have no idea how much programming it would take, but the ability to throw some sort of audio processing on the master audio would be by far the greatest feature that I could possibly ask for. Especially in a church setting, which is a majority of my clients, audio levels tend to be very dynamic between the worship and the speaking.

Thanks for the consideration!