logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
art23  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 25, 2017 12:43:53 AM(UTC)
art23

Groups: Registered

On my last stream I took a problem with desktop capture -- lectors laptop was from mamont edge, old CPU without dedicated GPU. I setup desktop capture on it and take NDI -- looks great in preview (I check 2 or 3 slides).

But on production, then all videosources was in use and mamonts laptop try to show easy animation in powerpoint -- fail, I has to restart my PC -- and this in active stream.

Is it possible to take anywere old version of Desktop capture for use in this situation?

Or howto better take screencapture for old lectors laptops
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 25, 2017 10:28:56 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ art23

Unfortunately, since vMix's adoption of NDI technology in vMix 17, I do not believe any previous versions of vMix Desktop Capture will work with current vMix releases.
I feel your pain and although no consolation, you are not the first to have issues with the newer technology on older equipment (especially since it worked in preliminary testing).
My best advice in this type of situation (given you probably don't have access to nor want to use older versions of vMix) would be to acquire the file from your presenter and use the PowerPoint Input in vMix and 'follow along'. It's not the most convenient method and the PowerPoint "transitions" wont work, but at least it wont (or shouldn't) cause a disruption due to "technical difficulties".
Hope that helps some.

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
art23 on 7/25/2017(UTC)
mjgraves  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 25, 2017 11:34:39 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
There are alternatives to the built-in desktop sharing tools.

(1) VLC - You can use VLC to stream a desktop as described here in their forum: https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=133287 Using my 2013 vintage laptop as a test bed I can stream 1600x900 @ 15 f/s over MJPEG encoded at 8 mbps. That arrangement uses 40% of the CPU (dual core i5-3427U)

The trouble is that such an arrangement is fiddly, and prone to problems.

(2) RTSP - There are apps that are designed to capture a PC screen and mimic a surveillance camera. DeskCamera is one such app. It creates an RTSP stream, encoding the desktop. It can also capture a webcam and system audio. These apps are designed to run in the background, transparent to the user. They allow the use of MJPEG for minimum latency, or H264 for reduced bandwidth. vMix views the RTSP source as a "stream" input.

These ideas address situations where you're doing something beyond PowerPoint, that cannot readily be move to the vMix host.
thanks 1 user thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
DWAM on 7/25/2017(UTC)
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 25, 2017 12:54:00 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Another solution is to use the HDMI output of the laptop, set the mirroring option of the screen and input the resulting signal in vMix via a capture card just like a camera....

This solution has close to no footprint on CPU... But it will require an HDMI to SDI converter if the laptop is far away from vMix.

It can also work with DVI or VGA.
mjgraves  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 25, 2017 2:40:24 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

DWAM wrote:
Another solution is to use the HDMI output of the laptop, set the mirroring option of the screen and input the resulting signal in vMix via a capture card just like a camera....

This solution has close to no footprint on CPU... But it will require an HDMI to SDI converter if the laptop is far away from vMix.

It can also work with DVI or VGA.

This is an excellent solution, and the one I prefer to use myself.

There are also HDMI-to-H.264/5 encoders that can put the desktop output on a network as an RTSP stream. These start around $150 USD.

http://amzn.to/2eIyYOH

I've used one to capture the screen of an Android tablet into vMix. It worked nicely.
mjgraves  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 25, 2017 5:50:40 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

I had an short time free to experiment today, so I tried DeskCamera on a utility PC. They allow a 15 day trial license that watermarks the stream output.

I was able to stream the PC desktop to my vMix host in just a few minutes. I used ONVIF Manager to work out the correct connection string to us in vMix.

In my case it was: rtsp://admin:admin@192.168.10.9:554/DeskCamera/DISPLAY1_For_MainStream_Token

I was surprised that Desk Camera found the AverMedia Capture card I have in that computer. It automatically made it available as a second stream.

DeskCam seems to be able to deliver 720p @15 f/s on my utility PC. If the source computer has a high-res display and you want fluid, high-frame-rate video, you'd be better of using a more hardware-centric approach.

Clearly, RTSP is not intended for production. That said, this could be a reasonable alternative way to capture presentation goods if NDI is not an option.