logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tzichterman  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 6:45:29 PM(UTC)
tzichterman

Groups: Registered

I am having a hard time setting up Mix Minus for my VMixCall / local broadcast.

We have a weekly meeting that we produce locally within our main office and stream remotely to our branch offices. Locally we have a mixer and amp wired to speakers for that presentation and pipe that audio into VMix to share with our branch offices. We would like to include our branch office VMix Call audio along with input audio (videos, effects, etc.) from VMix to augment the show. If I pipe everything through VMix and out to our mixer everything works but there is an inherent delay during processing that creates a strange effect for the presenter. If I send the audio directly through the mixer and out to the speakers and VMix and then back from VMix to include input and VMixCall audio I get a reverb or loop in my audio.

I have tried using VMix channels to control mix minus and the mixer with some success but ultimately I haven't found the best solution. Can anyone on the forum point me in the right direction?

thanks,
Tom
ovinas  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 2:35:21 AM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
What kind of mixer do you have (brand, type) and how is it connected to the PC (mainboard audio, interface...)?
tzichterman  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 1:47:01 PM(UTC)
tzichterman

We use a Behringer Xenyx X1204USB mixer. Currently we have 3 external mics connected to the XLR ports for channels 1,2 and 3. My audio goes out of the mixer from Aux Sends to the Mic 3.5mm jack in the back of the PC. Audio also goes out of the mixer from 2-track/USB out to the AMP -> local speakers. Audio comes back from vMix via the speaker 3.5mm jack in the back of the PC to the stereo Aux Returns. I can try and attach a picture of the mixer setup. I am trying to use the Aux controls across the channels to cancel out the mics from talking back from vMix but still allowing the vMix call audio to come through (along with other audio from vMix).
tzichterman attached the following image(s):
MixerSetup-vMix.jpg (189kb) downloaded 17 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 2:10:19 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi

Check this post
https://forums.vmix.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=10740

It's not exactly your situation but close. This might help you understanding how to use Audio Buses in vMix in order to monitor things separately.

Regarding your mixer cabling, I would plug vMix IN in inputs 5/6 instead of AUX return (so that you can mute it) but you will certainly need to re-arrange everything to achieve what you want

Hope this helps
Guillaume

thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
sinc747 on 7/21/2017(UTC)
tzichterman  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 2:42:17 PM(UTC)
tzichterman

@DWAM - we tried controlling all of the audio through vMIX and although that cancels out the "echo" effect created with looping the sound through the mixer, there seems to be an inherent delay when processing audio through vMix and then pumping it out to the amp/speakers. This delay is very disconcerting to the local presenters. It is slight but present (I couldn't hear it back in the control room but once I went out into the crowd I could hear it ~ 300 ms). I will give it another shot though and let you know what we find out.

Thanks,
tom
ovinas  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 3:27:29 PM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
That would be my way to do this with your equipment:

First let's clean out your cabling.
As Guillaume recommended change the cable coming from your PC from 'AUX Returns' to channel 5/6 on your mixer.
Now buy or make or adapt a cable like this: https://www.thomann.de/g..._15562_audiokabel_30.htm
Take away the cable connected to AUX & FX Sends going to your PC. Take the new cable and connect it to AUX Send on the mixer and to the 'Line IN' on your PC (black jack). If not present connect it to 'Microphone IN'.

Set the AUX knobs of channel 1 and 2 to the middle, channel 5/6 all way to the left. Buttons 'Pre' not engaged. Set the audio level to you PC with the 'AUX Sends' master knob.

In vMix go to settings --> Audio Outputs. Set 'Master Output', 'Headphones' and 'B' to none. Set 'A' to your mainboard audio/speakers.
Master will be used for recording, streaming and vMix Call. Bus A will be the audio to your mixer.
Add an audio input for your mainboard audio (Line IN or Microphone) and route it only to M.
All other inputs with audio including vMix call should be routed to M and A.