logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
markus  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2013 2:13:12 PM(UTC)
markus

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I started playing around with my own "Virtual Set" by modifying one of the examples. Some questions and suggestions I couldn't solve:

1)
If I use this code below for config.xml the initial "Pan Y" position of the "TVContent" seems to be 0.329 instead of 0.439?! If I type 0.439 into the field, it will be adjusted and okay.

Code:
<virtualSet>
  <input name="Set" x="0" y="0" zoom="1">background.png</input>
  <input name="Talent" x="0.044" y="0.256" zoom="0.26" dynamic="true">talent.png</input>
  <input name="Table" x="0.04533333" y="-0.1232227" zoom="0.2516667">foreground.crop.png</input>
  <input name="TVContent" x="0.529" y="0.2390" zoom="0.2175" dynamic="true">tv.crop.png</input>
  <zoom name="Close Up Talent" x="-0.188" y="-0.978" zoom="3.925" />
  <zoom name="Medium Shot" x="-0.547" y="-0.583" zoom="1.99" />
  <zoom name="Full" x="0" y="0.081" zoom="1.13" />
  <zoom name="Close TV" x="-2" y="-2" zoom="3.71" />
</virtualSet>

2)
Is there any way to "distort" an overlay or an input source?

3)
Can the value of the "name" attribute for shots and parts of the set (-> overlays) be displayed somehow in the preferences dialog? That would make adjusting much easier.

4)
Wouldn’t it be easier to work with the default overlay in preferences to be pre-selected by the chosen layer of the set? The selected overlay seems to be a global value at the moment.

5)
A cursor of buttons below where the "reset position" button is located now would make it much easier to adjust the virtual set layers.

6)
Same would be nice to have for changing the actual camera position during a live show.
admin  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2013 1:17:35 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
1. The code provided mentions 0.239, so what do the other numbers you mention refer to?
Note that all the numbers assume the source is in a 16:9 aspect ratio, so other aspect ratios are not supported for built in virtual set images.

2. What sort of distortions do you require?

3. Each layer in a virtual set should be adjusted from the Setup tab rather than Input Settings, each layer is labelled here.

4. Could you explain in more detail what you mean here? Maybe answer 3) above will help.

6. Right click any of the camera angles to quickly adjust the positions.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
markus  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2013 7:07:48 AM(UTC)
markus

Thx for the quick response!

1) I posted the wrong version of the XML, sorry. It is this line:

Code:
<input name="TVContent" x="0.529" y="0.4390" zoom="0.2175" dynamic="true">tv.crop.png</input>

And this is what I get in vMix, zoom and x is what I expected, y is not:

UserPostedImage

2) Pls have a look at the screenshot above. I want to place a second input "on" the screen at the wall. To make this fit, a distortion of the input to become a trapezoid would be needed. I think you'd need this in every virtual set, when position inputs non-parallel to the front.

6) Sure, right click offers the feature... my intention was to avoid the right click / dialog. But this is just a question of UI. Here is what I mean as an illustration:

UserPostedImage
admin  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2013 8:44:59 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
Ok, I understand now.

1) The virtual set XML positions are based on widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio.
In vMix these need to be converted to the aspect ratio currently in use.
(This is so you can use a virtual set in any aspect ratio without having to change the source positions)

To convert to 4:3 involves multiplying the Y value by 0.75
0.439 * 0.75 = ~0.329

To convert what you see in vMix when in 4:3 back into the Virtual Set
0.329 / 0.75 = ~0.439

For reference the constant 0.75 is worked out as follows:
(destXAspect / sourceXAspect) * (sourceYAspect / destYAspect)
(4/16) * (9/3)

2) You can use the X, Y and Z rotation options in Position (click the X button to switch) to correctly place the screen in 3D space.
(A trapezoid distortion would not look correct when zooming or changing angles)

Unfortunately, Virtual Set format currently doesn't support rotations in the XML directly, this may change in a future release.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

markus  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2013 11:04:59 AM(UTC)
markus

1)
For those who may work on the same problem, I adjusted the y value shown in vMix to the xml according to Martin's description with the following line:
Code:
  <input name="TVContent" x="0.529" y="0.579" zoom="0.2175" dynamic="true">tv.crop.png</input>

And the result is now what I wanted it to be! Thanks a lot, Martin.

2)
Yes... using X, Y and Z values to make it fit "somehow" is what I already did before writing my first post. The result is okay... but not perfect. ;) And as I realized the studiotech.tv guys facing exactly the same problem when working on a virtual background on the latest live episode, it seems to be not only an issue on vMix.

If trapezoid distortion is not the way to go... what's about a new way of cropping by using forms? If we would crop the image like a trapezoid, could that work for zooming or changing angles?