logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
andy2020  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 9:32:41 AM(UTC)
andy2020

Groups: Registered

I am looking for suggestions for either SDI or HDMI cameras for livestream use we would even consider buying second hand units. We stream in low resolution due to low bandwidth restrictions at our venue.

The cameras will have an operator as we do have to move shots across a small meeting table.

Any suggestions for a reasonable budget camera would be greatly received.
jip  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 10:10:04 AM(UTC)
jip

Estonia

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Considering the transmission over extended distances in SDI format, it is likely that choosing a suitable SDI-HDMI converter first and then using the available budget for the best HDMI camera would result in the most cost-effective solution.

SDI-capable cameras tend to start from significantly higher prices than the combination of an HDMI camera and a converter. Of course, this solution restricts the camera mobility.
IceStream  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 10:10:47 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ andy2020

Perhaps it's best to establish a budget or price range first as there is a plethora of cameras out there with different features sets at various price points.
Typically, SDI output on prosumer cameras start around US $2000.
Most consumer cameras have HDMI output and start at around US $300.
My preference would be for an SDI, fully equipped professional camera (something like the Panasonic DVX200 @ around US $4000) that can be quite versatile in a multitude of scenarios, but your budget might not be able to accommodate something like that.
Just my thoughts.

Ice
andy2020  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 10:14:09 AM(UTC)
andy2020

IceStream wrote:
@ andy2020

Perhaps it's best to establish a budget or price range first as there is a plethora of cameras out there with different features sets at various price points.
Typically, SDI output on prosumer cameras start around US $2000.
Most consumer cameras have HDMI output and start at around US $300.
My preference would be for an SDI, fully equipped professional camera (something like the Panasonic DVX200 @ around US $4000) that can be quite versatile in a multitude of scenarios, but your budget might not be able to accommodate something like that.
Just my thoughts.

Ice

Thanks for the response. We are probably looking to spend around 1400 dollars a camera if thats any help.
andy2020  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 10:15:30 AM(UTC)
andy2020

jip wrote:
Considering the transmission over extended distances in SDI format, it is likely that choosing a suitable SDI-HDMI converter first and then using the available budget for the best HDMI camera would result in the most cost-effective solution.

SDI-capable cameras tend to start from significantly higher prices than the combination of an HDMI camera and a converter. Of course, this solution restricts the camera mobility.

Agreed I think that would be a great solution, I just need to find a suitable HDMI camera.
h2video.nl  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 12:19:25 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
regarding sdi consider these two points,

1. a hdmi to sdi converter is cheap, so if you find a good camera with hdmi only this is an option.

2. a camera with sdi out has lots more pro options than just sdi out. think about peo audio inputs, range of settings to use etc. above all, an sdi output is much more reliable and strong compared to a small hdmi output. so for use in the field, sdi is the way to go. or have a number of good consumer cameras on stock for replacements.

good luck,
stefan
DWAM  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 12:48:25 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi

For $1400 you have 2 options imho:
- try to find second hand cameras that would cost more than $2000 when bought new. With 4K coming, a lot of HD equipments are for sale...
- choose between semi pro models that cost between $1000 and $1400, like the Canon HF G40 for example, and use extra money for equipments: hdmi2sdi converters, long sdi cables, good tripods, even monitors, etc...

My 2 cents
Guillaume