logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
boris9831  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 27, 2017 3:17:54 PM(UTC)
boris9831

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
There have been several posts about using RTSP for capturing video vs a capture card. I am hoping this post can open a more detailed dialog about how to handle latency. One significant question - is it effective to run RTSP with a mixture of devices.

I ran across a device (I purchased on Amazon - see below) that seemed reasonably priced compared to other devices similar to this. At $159 the FBE200 will take an HDMI feed and turn it into h.264 accessible via RTSP. I also have a PTZOptics 20X PTZ camera that supports h.264. The PTZ optics has about a 0.5 sec delay and the FBE200 has about a 1.2 second delay.

If you had to use these in the same stream (and/or recording) it would be very difficult to do voice synch. However, if I didn't have to worry about this synch, i.e. they were different camera angles or an audience shot, then perhaps it may be viable. The benifit then would be you could add any HDMI device into a mix as long as audio synch was not an issue.

Is there a way to sync video inputs via a "delay" that I am missing? Any thoughts?

FMUSER H.264 1080p HD HDMI Video Encoder, IPTV Encoder,Live Stream Broadcast,RTMP LAN Encoder
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4PJDX2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B01N4PJDX2&linkCode=as2&tag=n05284-20&linkId=b4191f0362a3950ea0e0289f90995cbb

bottom = actual time
left = PTZ optics
right = FMUSER
boris9831 attached the following image(s):
vMix Capture 24 June 2017 14-37-41.jpg (75kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
thanks 2 users thanked boris9831 for this useful post.
mjgraves on 6/28/2017(UTC), RobLambert on 12/14/2019(UTC)
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 3:03:49 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi Boris

I really don't understand why so many people are trying to use vMix with cameras over RTSP protocol.

RTSP or RTMP are protocols for transporting video over the internet where bandwidth is limited and expensive. They were designed for final delivery, not for video production.

RTSP is certainly the worst solution for inputting cameras feeds into vMix:
- image quality is very poor with high compression, long GOP, and chroma sub-sampling reduction
- there is latency
- it has a huge footprint on CPU load

I would consider RTSP only to receive a stream from over the internet and only to make a multi venue production.

Sorry, I'm not answering your questions, I'm only explaining how and why the mis-use of a technology drives to asking those questions. RTSP is not meant for production use, it is a cheap solution for video delivery over the internet where quality and latency is not important.

Why don't you use capture cards in order to ingest uncompressed signals from your cameras in your vMix? Your RTSP encoder is more expensive than a capture card... Spending $1800 for a PTZOptics camera with SDI and HDMI outs is a non-sense if you just use 1/100th of its quality potential...

Guillaume
thanks 2 users thanked DWAM for this useful post.
boris9831 on 6/30/2017(UTC), RobLambert on 1/1/2020(UTC)
mjgraves  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 10:36:19 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
boris9831 wrote:
Is there a way to sync video inputs via a "delay" that I am missing? Any thoughts?

Knowing the amount of latency involved with each device can be useful. However, I would not bother trying to sync such sources. They simply won't be stable. They're not locked to common reference, so they will drift. It's just a question of how much.

I completely agree with DWAM that RTMP/RTSP are not intended for production purposes.

That said, there are circumstances where latency is not an issue and they can be used in inventive ways to enhance a production. For example, add a very long exterior shot of a venue or stage.
thanks 1 user thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
boris9831 on 6/30/2017(UTC)
boris9831  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2017 6:25:33 PM(UTC)
boris9831

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Good feed back - thank you mjgraves and DWAM. Using this with cameras that do not need to be synced with voice could be a good alternative if the video is clean. i.e. you could use a good consumer camera (low cost) for live "B" roll shots.

This particular FMUSER ($159) encoder supports up to 1080_60p input(auto detect) at up to 12Mpbs. Of course it would also be important to use a 1000Mbps LAN. The latency at 4Mbps varied from 1.2 to 1.5 secs (1200 - 1500 ms) Also, I only used the PTZoptics camera for testing - I actually capture via a HDMI input (Magewell card).