logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RichShumaker  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 24, 2017 5:12:23 PM(UTC)
RichShumaker

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I thought I had this as a feature request and I noticed that I mucked the request up.
So please if I have asked for this specific thing before just point this towards that but I couldn't find it today.

I want to be able to turn something 90 degrees.
If someone could at least tell me what the decimal equivalents are to hold me over that would keep some of my sanity.
Or is there a check box to use degrees instead of decimals let me know as I miss the obvious all the time.

Use Case for this feature
I don't like vertical video(9:16), but 3 verticals(9:16) = 1 horizontal(16:9) with a size reduction, almost perfectly.
Once I turn them 90 degrees I put them side by side and have 3 of them on a 16:9 widescreen from the 9:16 format they were originally in.
Yes I do have to zoom down the video.

How do I get that 90 degree turn every time perfectly with decimals?

Thanks everyone.

Rich Shumaker
RichShumaker  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 27, 2017 4:11:43 AM(UTC)
RichShumaker

United States

Here is a calculator for the values Thanks to Dave Edwards over at the FB Streaming Idiots Group for his help with this.
http://www.rapidtables.c...-radians.htm?x=90&y=

1.5708 radians, 2 radians equals 360 degrees. This means that 1 radian = 180 degrees
180 = Pi 270 = 4.7123889804 - I think that is the issue I am having is that these numbers are irrational.
90 degrees is easy to type and fast. That is one of the things I love about vMix is how fast it is.

Someone said .25
http://www.richshumaker.com/img/90degreeturn.jpg[/img

Here is 90 degrees 1.5708
http://www.richshumaker..../90degreesindecimals.jpg[/img

RichShumaker attached the following image(s):
90degreesindecimals.jpg (153kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
90degreeturn.jpg (212kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
tbimages  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 27, 2017 2:14:09 PM(UTC)
tbimages

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
+25 please. We often don't have web access from production and at 4am, my brain really isn't wanting to try convert degrees to radians into irrationality and back. Pretty please Martin could vMix do the trig for our old brains?

Would be very much appreciated.
Blake
thanks 1 user thanked tbimages for this useful post.
RichShumaker on 6/27/2017(UTC)
RichShumaker  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 27, 2017 2:26:58 PM(UTC)
RichShumaker

United States

tbimages wrote:
+25 please. We often don't have web access from production and at 4am, my brain really isn't wanting to try convert degrees to radians into irrationality and back. Pretty please Martin could vMix do the trig for our old brains?

Would be very much appreciated.
Blake

Wait you had one of those 4am "what is math?" moments mine was at 2am, heheh.
Oh and I didn't really get the answer until this post I was at 1.57 or something and it looked almost right.

Have an awesome day.

Rich Shumaker
doggy  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 27, 2017 2:32:22 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
And i was told there would be NO math :-(
thanks 1 user thanked doggy for this useful post.
RichShumaker on 6/27/2017(UTC)
RichShumaker  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 2:01:02 PM(UTC)
RichShumaker

United States

I know I am not getting a lot of +1's and I get that.

My questions I would love to know the answer too if you read this.
Do you rotate inside vMix? Have you ever rotated in vMix?

I shoot 16:9 almost 100% of the time.
I only came across this while I was making some odd titles and then the TriScreen Effect I described with three rotated 9:16 images.

I would love if you don't put a +1 but say I don't Rotate instead.
Or I rotate but no +1 - Not sure how to represent that.

I want to get a sense of who actually would use this feature and who never would.
I know that the +1 system is how the developers know if this is a feature people actually want.

Also I am trying to help the person that never rotates on that one day they need too for some reason.

Thanks everyone.

Rich Shumaker
IceStream  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 2:48:10 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ RichShumaker

While I agree that working in degrees would probably be easier for most of us and I am certainly in favour of having it implemented if possible, I'm not so sure the vMix 3D space sees or works as one would typically expect.
My experience with vMix has been that you have to meticulously adjust "position" visually to achieve the "look" you want.
In your scenario, a 2D rotation seems rather simple (and is), but applying any other Z axis rotation to the equation can quickly lead to unexpected results if you were to rely simply on 'degrees'.
I guess my point is that vMix adjusts for perspective as you position things in 3D space, and I somehow believe that the "math" behind the coordinates is all part of that.
What you're requesting should be theoretically possible, I'm just not sure how quickly or easily it can be applied, or if it will confuse 'compositors' even more...

Just my thoughts.

Ice

RichShumaker  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 3:59:42 PM(UTC)
RichShumaker

United States

IceStream wrote:
@ RichShumaker

While I agree that working in degrees would probably be easier for most of us and I am certainly in favour of having it implemented if possible, I'm not so sure the vMix 3D space sees or works as one would typically expect.
My experience with vMix has been that you have to meticulously adjust "position" visually to achieve the "look" you want.
In your scenario, a 2D rotation seems rather simple (and is), but applying any other Z axis rotation to the equation can quickly lead to unexpected results if you were to rely simply on 'degrees'.
I guess my point is that vMix adjusts for perspective as you position things in 3D space, and I somehow believe that the "math" behind the coordinates is all part of that.
What you're requesting should be theoretically possible, I'm just not sure how quickly or easily it can be applied, or if it will confuse 'compositors' even more...

Just my thoughts.

Ice

I started a new thread because my full scope in the other thread was confusing.
I just wanted to say that rotating in most programs I use is done in degrees not decimals.
So I could do 45 degrees or 45.2567 degrees in most programs.
I thought that the compositing and fx software I have used did degrees as well, do they use decimals instead of degrees and I missed that?
Oh and having both if that is an option would be cool. Hit a check box to switch between decimals and degrees.

Oh and this is WAY OFF TOPIC. The topic is about Rotation and not the 3D plane in vMix.
I do want to discuss that more as I think they are tied together.
In regards to how the 3D'esque planes works in vMix.
Maybe someone could or already did create a video explaining how the vMix XYZ works?
That too is a bit of a mystery to me. I expected the Y spin to flip the video but it doesn't.
Basically think of it as 2 sides of a piece of paper and Side A is the front and Side B is the back.
You spin the paper and when you get to the edge and it disappears you then start to see the 'back' of it and that is flipped(mirrored).
I do know how to mirror the image you do that with a check box.

My thoughts before using vMix about X Y and Z were
X rotates either left or right in a what I call the clock plane.
Y rotates around a center axis and the video flips accordingly.
Z is a depth measurement and I thought it would allow a push pull of the video forward and backward in the 3D plane.

Thanks.

Rich Shumaker