logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ToonArmy  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 21, 2017 12:38:24 PM(UTC)
ToonArmy

Groups: Registered

I work for a municipality that has recently installed a vMix rack computer to live-stream council meetings to You Tube.
We have the vMix system isolated on its own subnet and do not have a monitor physically connected to it. We connect remotely to setup and configure sessions. We do not want anyone but the IT department to have access to the vmix computer.

We have setup a simple web controller (shortcuts) on the city clerk’s laptop so that he can Start/Stop (toggle) the stream and a fade to black (toggle) during meetings.

There are limitations to this setup, though. The clerk can only see the delayed YouTube stream (about 30 seconds later) on his laptop. This causes him some confusion and doubt as to whether his mouse clicks have worked. It would be beneficial to see some immediate feedback when a web controller button has been engaged.

I realise that a dedicated PC could be setup at his position that would display an NDI output of the stream, but we do not have the budget or the space. Also, NDI does not span subnets, without some tweaking (as far as I know). Please correct me if I’m wrong.

My feature request would be to have the remote user’s shortcuts display a red dot or something similar to provide immediate feedback that a given button is active.
Is this a possibility, vMix guys?
sinc747  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 21, 2017 4:32:09 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 195 time(s) in 161 post(s)
+1
richardgatarski  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 4:42:18 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
I am not sure that adding this functionality to the web controller (I am assuming that is what you mean) is feasible. Rather complex task, including what, when and how the buttons should indicate for the various types.

But there are a few options you might use instead.

Perhaps the vMix Virtual Control Surface would work for you

A Midi controller, where the proper activators are used. Saw that some user had that for remote interactions with a Midi over IP add on (can't find the topic on the Forum right now)

Write a simple (web) app that sends the required shortcut and polls the return info to show the streaming state. See the Help on API.

Good luck!