logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AlanZ  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 17, 2017 2:05:47 PM(UTC)
AlanZ

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Here's hoping some of the audio gurus in the community can come up with a best practice for the following situation.

Next week, I will be involved with two panel discussions in Kansas City.

- I will be on the dais as a panelist and have vMix running on a notebook computer in front of me.

- I have three microphones (wired and wireless) that can output either 3.5mm line or XLR mic levels.

- There will be one or two guests brought in via vMix call.

- There is a soundboard in the room, so I can plug our audio and/or vMix output audio into the room's amplifiers (I might also bring a portable speaker).

The potential issues:
1 - My vMix call guests need to be able to hear every microphone except their own (no problem, mix minus is a feature of vmix call)
2 - The folks in the room should not hear a delay imposed by vMix processing. Ideally, I could send a mic feed directly to the room's mixer and mute all but the vMix guest calls' microphones
3 - The folks in the room need to be able to hear any videos and guests from vMix.
4 - I need to record all the inputs.

Here is the equipment that I can bring with me
- xlr combo inputs accept either xlr or 1/4" male plugs
- all devices can supply phantom or plug-in power

a. Mackie 402-vlx3 conventional 4 channel mixer - 2 xlr-combo inputs, 2 1/4' inputs
b. Behringer UMC202HD - 2 channel usb audio interface. 2 xlr-combo inputs, a 1/4" headphone out, and two 1/4" (L+R) outputs.
b. Zoom H6 recorder - has 6 inputs (3.5 stereo and 4 xlr-combo), one 3.5mm line out, and can be used as a usb interface
c. iRig Pro - xlr-combo input, usb out
d. A USB audio adapter with 3.5mm mic in and 3.5mm mic out.
e. My computer has a 3.5mm trrs combo mic/speaker port

So... if you were me (and be glad you aren't) how would you configure the available equipment?

Thanks in advance!
ovinas  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 17, 2017 2:56:57 PM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
I would connect the 3 microphones and the output of the UMC202 (connected via USB to your notebook) to the mixer in the room. Use an aux output of the mixer to connect to an input on the UMC202. The aux output should only carry the microphone's audio (mix minus).
In vMix set audio outputs for Bus M to none (used for recording and vMix Call guests) and Bus A to the UMC202 (going to the room mixer).
Add all your inputs to vMix (videos etc) including the audio input UMC202. Enable Bus M for all inputs. Enable Bus A for all inputs except the audio input UMC202.
Check and set the option for automatic audio mix on all inputs. Should be disabled for the UMC202 and perhaps for the vMix Call inputs.
AlanZ  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 17, 2017 4:12:54 PM(UTC)
AlanZ

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Ovinus,

Thanks for your input... it will take a little thought one how to understand/digest your suggestion...

Other suggestions are most welcome.