logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
peterproducer  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2017 11:59:03 PM(UTC)
peterproducer

Groups: Registered

Hello all,

I love vMix call! My one concern and the reason that I have had to revert to Skype and Zoom to bring in guests is that vMix fails to work when the guest has a fairly poor internet connection. Since a majority of my guests are overseas in countries with weaker internet infrastructure, it has exposed some vMix call issues. I should say that Skype and Zoom both work perfectly with these guests and their internet, but with vMix call, the audio cuts in and out and many frames are dropped. This result is achieved even as I lower the resolution sent to the guest to the minimum (i.e., mobile) to save bandwidth for the guest. Are there any ways to adjust parameters, such as the audio compression or to use a half duplex rather than full? Some of these shortcuts that Skype and Zoom use may be good setting options to expand vMix call's reach. I know that some producers are interested in bringing in field workers, missionaries, and others who may not have access to the best internet resources. It would be great to make vMix call available to them.

I look forward to your response and keep up the great work Martin and co!
Peter
admin  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 20, 2017 6:42:59 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
Hi Peter,

Can you describe the overall quality of Skype and Zoom for these guests? Is it good quality smooth video or is it at a much lower frame rate?
Also if you could drop an email with the call password on one of these tests to info@vmix.com.au we can check the logs to see
if perhaps the guest firewall was forcing a connection through our servers, which might mean we need to setup more servers closer to these remote locations
to help with that.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
Marygcoach  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 29, 2017 2:47:09 AM(UTC)
Marygcoach

Woman

Hello,

I host a weekly virtual video talk show. Before vmix call I used vmix and brought guests in from Zoom and had no audio problems at all.

However, as soon as I started using Vmix call I have noticed that at least 30-40% of my guests can login to the vmix call, but many times they cannot hear any audio. I have had my Vmix rep and livestream consultant, Tom Sinclair test all the audio functions with me and my guests and still no consistent audio is getting sent to my guests.

I have noticed this problem is intermittent. I always do a test with my guest a few days before my show and right before my show with the same computer, same browser, etc. and sometimes they can hear the audio and sometimes they cant. However, what I am noticing more is that the guests audio tends to fail more often once I begin the livestream, when it was fine 15 minutes prior to going live. UGH.

My guess is that their family at home logs into their wifi to watch them right before I go live and their bandwidth drops and then then the guest loses the ability to hear my audio.

This NEVER happened when I used Zoom or Skype to brings guests in.

I am really concerned about the credibility of my show with all these audio issues since I have actually had to cancel or delay shows due to this issue since using vmix call.

Please help!
Thanks, Mary
rreinsch  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 1:46:58 PM(UTC)
rreinsch

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I am having the same issue on poor internet connections. Skype works fine but vmixcall is dropping audio frames and it's really unprofessional. Not sure what can be done? I don't want to stop using vmixcall but we might have to. We can't expect everyone to have a great internet connection.
mjgraves  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 4:20:07 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
I've been using WebRTC based platforms since their earliest days, going on five years. I find it odd the you report lost audio. Most WebRTC-based applications deliberately degrade the video when they sense bandwidth problems. Some even disable video entirely, but sustain the audio.

I think this needs to be debugged in much greater detail to ascertain what's actually happening.