logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mitchstein443  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2017 2:12:13 PM(UTC)
mitchstein443

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have now been using vmix to stream a live channel 24/7 for over 3 months, with no real problems. That is no problems with vmix, I had to change my pc from windows 10 to windows 7 64 bit in order to stop microsoft from "rebooting at will" after auto-updates which they refuse to allow me to disable in windows 10.

Anyway here's the setup:

My old core2duo 3.2 GHZ with 8 gigs ram, nvidia 256meg video card a bunch of sata HDs and nothing special..
The latest vmix (only time vmix gets restarted is when vmix releases an update and I decide it has a feature i want and install it).

I currently use a huge list of 15 - 30 days of programing.
I create the list by selecting new input, selecting a directory of videos and hit add. repeat until the list is full.
then I export the list to a text file. (reason later on in this post)
Then I have a powershell script that I found the base to in these forums in order to update the now playing title.
Then I have another function in the powershell script that reads the exported list (see above) and updates a title that shows the title and time the next video will play.

and it works great, it never chews up memory, it never chews up the processor it just plain works..

The one downside..
IF vmix needs to be restarted (because of an update or whatever) the load time is like 15 minutes because of the huge list. So, I tried as someone in the forums suggested, making smaller lists instead of one big one. It actually made the load time a smidget longer, because it was still loading the same number of videos, but in more lists.

So I figured out that I can use powershell in addition to reading statuses and updating titles to add inputs.
so I then wrote a function to add each video as an input to vmix as the last video nears the end of it's playtime.

Works great, UNTIL, you hit the input limitation, then it does not add any more inputs.. So I am searching for a way to delete/remove inputs through the api or any other means other then manually..

Some of the benefits this will afford is, on the fly programing changes, like hosting a page that allows the viewers to vote on what plays next or at certain times on certain days. and allows me complete control over the streaming content through a simple web interface I can access with my cell phone or any connected pc..

Now before people go spewing off that vmix was never intended to be used in this way, I already know that, I also know that most great things we have on the internet like games, watching videos, video chats etc for instance were never the intended use of the internet but it can do it and people like it. Also I have read, reread and reread again the documentation, I have the list of api shortcuts printed out and hanging infront of my desk. Don't post a link to it, the list does not contain that command, but the list also states "some of the shortcuts"

So My question is, how do I remove an input through the api? is it at all possible?
thanks 1 user thanked mitchstein443 for this useful post.
mjgraves on 6/15/2017(UTC)
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2017 2:53:47 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ mitchstein443

Have you tried the "RemoveInput" Shortcut Function?
It must be possible because the "vMixScheduler" adds and removes Inputs exactly like that.
(app developed a few years ago by macjaeger,
https://forums.vmix.com/...t.aspx?g=posts&t=999
only 'alpha' version released but it still works rather well)

Ice

mitchstein443  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2017 2:58:25 PM(UTC)
mitchstein443

Man
United States

IceStream wrote:
@ mitchstein443

Have you tried the "RemoveInput" Shortcut Function?
It must be possible because the "vMixScheduler" adds and removes Inputs exactly like that.
(app developed a few years ago by macjaeger,
https://forums.vmix.com/...t.aspx?g=posts&t=999
only 'alpha' version released but it still works rather well)

Ice

I did not see that function, I did try DeletInput.. and it came up as invalid.. I will try "RemoveInput" and if it is that simple I'm gonna kick myself and get a thesaurus!!!!!! lol..
kjones9999  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2017 6:46:42 PM(UTC)
kjones9999

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Have you tried creating an external video m3u playlist file and playing that way?
mitchstein443  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 16, 2017 12:32:09 AM(UTC)
mitchstein443

Man
United States

kjones9999 wrote:
Have you tried creating an external video m3u playlist file and playing that way?

You know I thought about it, and then forgot to try it.. I got so wrapped up in controlling vmix with the http commands.. I'm going to try that and also removeinput..
vijay6672  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 24, 2019 5:01:43 AM(UTC)
vijay6672

Man
India

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 12 post(s)
vScheduler 24x7 : NEW vMix Scheduler:

https://forums.vmix.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=14800