logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Basel  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 10, 2017 2:45:54 PM(UTC)
Basel

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi,

I think a good feature would be to be able to set specified network card/connection to do a certain task, like NDI and Streaming, do I need to talk more about it, yout get the idea :p

Ok an example, NDI might hog the bandwidth of the Ethernet and I want to make sure the stream go really smooth. Another scenario would be to have dedicated network only for streaming/upload while I might want to download or do vmix call and stuff like that.

+1 if you think this should make it in the next release ;)

thanks
Basel
SportsNetUSA.net  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 10, 2017 6:38:22 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Add a 2nd network card to your computer, and you can do that now. One network for streaming, the other for NDI.
kane  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 10, 2017 7:23:03 PM(UTC)
kane

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 94 post(s)
Beyond that you can use the network metric to determine which interface gets priority. Also, if you have multiple NIC cards in the system and both interfaces can see the same NDI sources, the NDI protocol will divide up channels between the cards giving you more network bandwidth to work with.

Kane Peterson
NewTek
thanks 1 user thanked kane for this useful post.
Amokka on 6/12/2017(UTC)
mjgraves  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 10, 2017 9:48:29 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
This has absolutely nothing to do with vMix. It's all about how you architect your network.
kjones9999  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 11, 2017 10:10:30 PM(UTC)
kjones9999

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 50 post(s)
I can think of many instances where specifying which interface is used for certain traffic would be very helpful, and it would seem vmix COULD specify which interface to use.

For example, NDI could use one interface while the API uses another- or stream on one interface, NDI on another- also imagine you are using a cellular connection as a backup- you could have a primary and a backup using a LAN and 4g connection.

I see no way to do this now. I think this would be very helpful- to be explicit about what traffic uses what interface...
admin  
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 11, 2017 10:26:05 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
For what it's worth, if you have internet access available on two connections on the same PC, then
it's not possible to specify which one to use at the application level, Windows will do this based on priority
and is quite problematic in my experience.

On the other hand if you have Network A with internet access on its own IP address subnet, and
Network B with only local network access on its own subnet, and they are both kept on separate networks. (either a VLAN or separate switches/routers)
then this should all work as expected, the internet connection will be used for streaming and the local network for NDI.
thanks 2 users thanked admin for this useful post.
sinc747 on 6/11/2017(UTC), ask on 6/11/2017(UTC)
Amokka  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2017 9:13:05 AM(UTC)
Amokka

Man

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)
kane wrote:
Beyond that you can use the network metric to determine which interface gets priority. Also, if you have multiple NIC cards in the system and both interfaces can see the same NDI sources, the NDI protocol will divide up channels between the cards giving you more network bandwidth to work with.

Kane Peterson
NewTek

Ohhh - that was new to me and a very interesting piece of information!

Does that mean you don't have to bundle/trunk/Load balance (whatever terminology you prefer) multiple NIC's connected to the same network segment, to balance NDI load?
NDI Client bandwidth can be scaled linearly by adding additional NIC's as independent IP interfaces?

What happens if you have multiple senders. Will they be load balanced as well?

I'm currently working on a project where we will have 2 separate vMix hosts (Host-1 & Host-2).
Each will send four (4) NDI streams to a dedicated, shared vMix MultiCorder host (Host-3).
As a result, Host-3 will receive 8x NDI streams (for 1xGigabit, that's stretching my luck too thin to my liking).
I had planned to add 4x NICS in a trunc/bundle/LBA, to distribute the load. But you say I don't need to configure the trunk?
kjones9999  
#8 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2017 11:12:49 AM(UTC)
kjones9999

I am thinking out loud here, but if I have an ethernet-based internet connection, and a cellular based connection, why can I not specify where the traffic goes? I am sure there is a reason, but I am thinking through past experiences with linux and think it can be done.. What prevents this in windows? It is entirely possible to have two IP addresses, so is it limitations of the stack itself?
Amokka  
#9 Posted : Monday, June 19, 2017 3:11:19 PM(UTC)
Amokka

Man

kjones9999 wrote:
I am thinking out loud here, but if I have an ethernet-based internet connection, and a cellular based connection, why can I not specify where the traffic goes? I am sure there is a reason, but I am thinking through past experiences with linux and think it can be done.. What prevents this in windows? It is entirely possible to have two IP addresses, so is it limitations of the stack itself?

This is controlled by the routing table.
If there is more than one interface with a default gateway, Windows will prioritize the one with the lowest "cost".

Jon
kjones9999  
#10 Posted : Monday, June 19, 2017 5:08:56 PM(UTC)
kjones9999

I get what you are saying, but I still think there has to be a way to force windows to use the one specified.
Amokka  
#11 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 2:46:16 PM(UTC)
Amokka

Man

There certainly is: You change the routing table.
kjones9999  
#12 Posted : Sunday, June 25, 2017 9:35:44 PM(UTC)
kjones9999

As suspected, this has long been a feature within OBS GUI.

New version available: OBS Studio 0.15.3

Changes:

Added a noise suppression audio filter (using speexdsp)
Added "Luma Wipe" transition (by HomeWorld)
Added the ability to lock the preview
Added all supported file types to VLC video source when browsing
Added the ability to add URLs to VLC video source
Added "Bind to IP" network option in advanced settings allowing users to specify which network adapter/address to stream from
Fixed an issue with VLC video source where media with more than two audio channels wouldn’t be downmixed to stereo properly
Cleaned up log file readability significantly (still more work to be done, but it’s a start)
Limited reconnect timeout (exponential backoff) to 15 minute intervals max. Fixes an issue where reconnect timeout could have intervals of days if it kept reconnecting unattended