logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kjones9999  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 5, 2017 10:34:41 PM(UTC)
kjones9999

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Have an event this week and would like to do the following:

1- Stream to youtube
2- Stream to facebook
3- Stream to local server

My question is this:

Does it take three times the processing power and bandwidth to run three streams? What happens if one fails- will the rest continue?

Thanks brain trust!
kjones9999  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 6, 2017 10:01:52 PM(UTC)
kjones9999

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Hoping for an answer...
sinc747  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 6, 2017 10:58:19 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 197 time(s) in 163 post(s)
@kjones9999

Please test this with your set up and your internet connection and your YT/FB/remote server combinations and you will know what impact this will have on your system, CPU, etc.

If all three streams are the same resolution and bitrate, then yes, it may require 3X bandwidth.

If one stream fails, the others should continue.

- Tom
Speegs  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 7, 2017 4:31:50 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
You can stream to one server, that can possibly stream on to the others. There are services on the Internet that distribute your stream. Otherwise various streaming servers such as Wowza and Nimble Streaming servers have an option to republish a stream to another url (very handy).

Basically however. 3 streams @ once your computer is doing the work and sending to 3 locations requiring the bandwidth of all.

Another way:

Vmix Single Stream --> Server (that distributes to other places)

Then the Server sends to the other places, you are using the servers resources not Vmix. Doesn't make you use less cpu or bandwidth you are just moving the requirements to another box locally or elsewhere on the Internet.
elvis55  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 7, 2017 4:56:01 AM(UTC)
elvis55

Switzerland

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
krzychuz  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 8, 2017 8:37:37 AM(UTC)
krzychuz

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
From my experience: Streaming to all destinations in exact same resolution and bitrate means encoding only once, but of course you need network bandwidth of x times the bitrate.
If nothing in vMix changed recently, when using the builtin vMix Streaming option, and one stream fails and you want to restart it, then you need to stop all streams and try to start them all back.
I'd consider using hardware acceleration (NVENC or Quick Sync if available instead of X264) to minimize required processing power, and deploying all three streams from separate ffmpeg processes ran through command line so that encoding in fact happens x times but at least you're safe when one streams becomes interrupted and you need to restart it.
thanks 1 user thanked krzychuz for this useful post.
kjones9999 on 6/9/2017(UTC)
NiBTour  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 9, 2017 12:18:55 PM(UTC)
NiBTour

Man
United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 17 post(s)
krzychuz wrote:
From my experience: Streaming to all destinations in exact same resolution and bitrate means encoding only once, but of course you need network bandwidth of x times the bitrate.
If nothing in vMix changed recently, when using the builtin vMix Streaming option, and one stream fails and you want to restart it, then you need to stop all streams and try to start them all back.
I'd consider using hardware acceleration (NVENC or Quick Sync if available instead of X264) to minimize required processing power, and deploying all three streams from separate ffmpeg processes ran through command line so that encoding, in fact, happens x times but at least you're safe when one streams becomes interrupted and you need to restart it.

Oh man that's my biggest problem with vMix is the fact to change, add or restart a stream you must kill all of them. They do have the option to run another instance of vMix but that's a hack if you ask me. Each stream should be independent so if i need to make or add an additional stream i can without having to stop and restart the other streams. I'm using restream.io just because of this and for bigger jobs must bring more gear just to avoid this issue with FB and YT\twitch. I wish they would fix this. :|
thanks 1 user thanked NiBTour for this useful post.
kjones9999 on 6/9/2017(UTC)