logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
brodcastr  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 3, 2017 10:33:07 PM(UTC)
brodcastr

Groups: Registered

I have tried on my own for two days... I have read the forum and followed the links to various YouTube videos and still, I am nowhere near figuring this out. Quickly, a little about me and why I find this problem so difficult to understand.

For a year I have been using OBS to do my live shows on YouTube. Took a while to get used to but overall, I like OBS. Someone told me about VMix, I downloaded it and FELL IN LOVE. Honestly, I have never been more excited about the days, weeks and months ahead. My head was filled with ideas and glorious live shows. I was supposed to go live last night. Spent all day getting everything perfect. It was dialed in. Then it hit me, duh you idiot... you forgot to add your mic. So, I added it and all hell broke loose. Since then, I had to cancel my show, was going to try to do it today and it is already 7pm and it ain't going to happen. So, overall I am sad and am at the point where I wish my friend had not told me about VMix. I wish I could go back to OBS but I can't because VMix will be on my mind so anyway, here is my set-up and the issue I cannot for the damn life of me figure out. Especially because it worked with really no issue on OBS.

I have a mixer. It is the Mackie ProFX8v2 8‑Channel Analog Mixer ‑ USB found here Really quality mixer, gives me no issues. The set-up for the mixer is as follows:

XLR Input- My Mic
XLR Input- My Wife's Mic
1/4" L/R Input- My Ipad (Soundboard and sometimes audio only YouTube Videos or other audio file)
1/4" L/R Input- The Output from My PC
1/4" Headphones Out -To a splitter and to two headsets (My Wife and I)
USB out to PC

That's it. We do a weekly podcast and this set-up works great. I do my LIVE YouTube through OBS and works great. I can even show videos or capture windows and the sound is heard, no echo.

With VMix, I cannot get the audio to work.

Have tried everything. The options panel asks for Master Out: and Headphones Out:

No matter thhe combo, or if I try to add A and B or mute certain sources, it is impossible and I feel like a fool. I think I understand the problem but what I don't get is how can something so superior (VMix) not be able to do something that an open source freeware product do so simply. SO, I am at your mercy. I have a few bitcoins so if someone were to help, I could tip you. Most of the answers in the forum do not tell you how to fix the issue. They will just say turn Master to USB and turn headphones to speakers. But nothing further. Well, do I add my mic as an audio input, what do I do with each inside the audio mixer? Do I assign each 1&2 or one 3&4 and do I add an A&B?

So, the issue clearly is that what I hear in my headphones, is myself (I want that) and all the audio that is coming from PC speakers. But since that audio is going back into the mixer and coming out the USB which is playing through the speakers and so forth, I am stuck in a loop.

Please help. My guess is I need to send things using A&B or to assign the mic usb as 1&2 and speakers 3&4 or some combo I cannot figure out. I come to you all humble and beg of you please Help Me!

Joeboe  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 3, 2017 11:11:48 PM(UTC)
Joeboe

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 31 post(s)
I do not understand what you are trying to achieve, but try this. connect the audio mixer to the PC via the pc's sound card..(mic or line input).. add an input in vMix and select audio input, and select your sound card as the audio device....do NOT make a loop back from your PC into the mixer. Now go to Settings and select audio output, and select default for both Master and headphones...any other adjustments you can make later, but try this and report back......
IceStream  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 3, 2017 11:58:52 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ brodcastr

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your audio loop issue.
Using an external mixer can be a real headache to get the routing right when you are sending the computer audio to the mixer and then back in to the computer.
(the easiest fix is not to do that, just use it as an "Audio Input" for your mics, but you'll lose computer audio monitoring)
I am not familiar with OBS or how it handles it or your Mackie Mixer and it's options, nor am I an Audio expert, but you may need to add additional software like "Virtual Audio Cable" or "VoiceMeeter" if you don't already have one of those.
Also, have a look at this thread about Skype call Mix-Minus with these tools which may give some insight into "complex" audio routing:

https://forums.vmix.com/...aspx?g=posts&t=10973

Again, I'm no expert, and for all I know, it may not even be possible, but the fact that you say it works in OBS makes me believe that there must be a way...

Ice
h2video.nl  
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 4, 2017 1:09:22 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
the easiest fix would be to route your audio through the camera you use.

if it has an mic inpit, inpit the oitput of you mixer through that, p.e. the headphone out.

then you can control the audio in vmix and you are sure everything is in sync. you can also record a master on your camera.

that's how i do it all the time, since audio can be a challenge.

stefan
SportsNetUSA.net  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 4, 2017 2:32:16 AM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
With a mixer such as your Maxie, there should be more than one way to route the audio from your computer and vMix so it only feeds your headphones and speakers, so as to not produce a feedback loop.

Have you tried disengaging the USB through switch and turning the pot/knob down?
ovinas  
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 4, 2017 2:52:59 AM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Should be an easy job.

Take away the cable connecting your PC's output to your mixer. Not needed because this audio will come to the mixer via USB.
In vMix set the audio output for the Master to none. This will be the bus for streaming and recording and doesn't need to be routed to hardware.
Set the audio output for Headphones to none. You're using the headphones connected to the Mackie.
Set the audio output for Bus A to the Mackie (Bus B = none).
Add an audio input for your Mackie. Be sure that this is not routed to bus A.
Any other vMix input with audio (videos...) should be routed to M and A.
Be sure that the "USB Thru" button on the Mackie is not pressed/engaged.
Set the PC audio volume with the "USB Input Level" knob on the Mackie.
Done.
thanks 2 users thanked ovinas for this useful post.
mjgraves on 6/4/2017(UTC), brodcastr on 6/4/2017(UTC)
brodcastr  
#7 Posted : Sunday, June 4, 2017 5:27:16 PM(UTC)
brodcastr

Thanks for all your suggestions. I guess the reason I am so bewildered is because OBS works with this setup with really no issue at all.

To H2VIDEO.NL: I do not use a camera. I present my screen usually as I am either surfing web or presenting a video.

JoeBoe: So, I for the most part understand what you are saying but how do I monitor the sounds of videos or callers if I am not getting the PC audio ran to my mixer and hence my headphones?

IceStream: Yes, that sounds good but the issue I am having is why would I need to spend money to do something that OBS does easily and free? How does OBS not cause a loop? It simply uses the Mic in and sends that to the main output and then anything I do on the PC (play a video, do a skype call, it sends that to the output too.

SportsNetUSA. That is my issue. It isn't as if I set it up the way I think it should work and quit. I have tried everything including the USB through button. On the Mackie there is FX Mon and FX as well as Main Out, Mon, FX Rtn, St Rtn, but no matter what I try either my voice is not heard on the VMix output or I get a forever loop.

Ovinas... You seem to be giving me the right directions so I wanted to answer these before I started your process. Thanks for the detailed instructions. I will report back in a few minutes.

Thanks all
brodcastr  
#8 Posted : Sunday, June 4, 2017 5:46:39 PM(UTC)
brodcastr

ovinas wrote:
Should be an easy job.

Take away the cable connecting your PC's output to your mixer. Not needed because this audio will come to the mixer via USB.
In vMix set the audio output for the Master to none. This will be the bus for streaming and recording and doesn't need to be routed to hardware.
Set the audio output for Headphones to none. You're using the headphones connected to the Mackie.
Set the audio output for Bus A to the Mackie (Bus B = none).
Add an audio input for your Mackie. Be sure that this is not routed to bus A.
Any other vMix input with audio (videos...) should be routed to M and A.
Be sure that the "USB Thru" button on the Mackie is not pressed/engaged.
Set the PC audio volume with the "USB Input Level" knob on the Mackie.
Done.

DUDE you are my hero! So, let me make sure I have this right and then I will do a test stream. The only thing I had to do was change my PC settings for playback device to the Mackie (USB interface)

So, final question is, now when I play my intro for example, I see it playing (the levels) for both Master and A. Will that cause an echo or sound issue for a listener with it playing on both Master and A. Sorry if that is a dumb question, I just am trying to grasp this all.
IceStream  
#9 Posted : Monday, June 5, 2017 8:35:45 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ brodcastr

Glad you found a solution, I don't think levels on both Master and Bus A will be an issue, although, it's always good to TEST first (or at least listen to the computer output that you are streaming via the sound card headset jack).
I have to be honest and say that I have never tried monitoring the Program Audio through my external mixer (for the stated above loop back reasons) but my curiosity got the better of me and I played around a little bit yesterday (wish I had more time because it quickly becomes complex).
I have a Behringer XENYX X1204USB and I can only assume the features and functionality are similar to the Mackie (IDK). Unfortunately, ovinas' method did not work for me, the Master and Headphone options in vMix had to be set to something other than "None", like you I believe it was the mixer (again the complexity of it all still has my head spinning, I made so many changes along the way, I just don't remember it all off hand), but the point is, I had to manage the USB and headphone 'options' on the mixer along with the headset 'options' of the mixer Input in vMix to get the desired results.
I did several trial recordings to test (which proved successful on the workflow) but raised other issues on the quality of the recording, which distracted me even further but I attribute it to drivers or something in the mixer but again, I didn't really have time to investigate thoroughly, although, in the end, I was generally pleased with my final recording (earlier recordings played back with a higher pitch and had pops and clicks).
The bottom line is, it is POSSIBLE with external USB mixers (which is good to know)
Not sure if I'll ever understand the routing though...

Ice