logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jvphobic  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2017 11:58:25 AM(UTC)
jvphobic

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Looks like Intel is keeping up with AMD for the HEDT market. I am currently running an 4770k with a GTX1060 card. I think that when I upgrade towards the end of the year, I could see moving up to the new i7-7800X. That should allow me to upgrade to one of the REALLY big i9s in a few years when the prices come down without having to upgrade mobo.

https://arstechnica.com/...?comments=1&start=80

Will Vmix be able to take advantage of something like this. I know that Vmix & NDI prefer Intel & Nvidia. Anyone have any thoughts?
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2017 12:12:08 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi

wait a little more. Intel just announced i9 CPU with up to 18 cores

https://www.engadget.com...0/intel-core-i9-extreme/
https://www.theverge.com...ylake-kaby-lake-computex

Guillaume
jvphobic  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2017 12:34:35 PM(UTC)
jvphobic

Yeah, those are the same chips. But the i9 with 18 cores is going to be like $2000. If I can get a reasonably priced CPU with a compatible motherboard, then when the i9 comes down to a human price, I could just upgrade the CPU.
Peter B  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2017 3:36:22 PM(UTC)
Peter B

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Looks like we are going to be paying more for Pcie lanes with only the
10 core having 44 for $US999.

A decklink quad2 requires 8 gen2 lanes + gpu 16 = 24 which is getting close for the lesser 28 lane devices. Still, that is a very beefy system.

element  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 2, 2017 12:53:37 AM(UTC)
element

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Honestly, AMDs Threadripper with 16 cores/32 threads and 64 PCIe lanes on the whole stack is going to be a much better value. I see little reason to stick with Intel.
h2video.nl  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 2, 2017 5:11:18 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
interesting, but maybe we should look at what vmix needs first... I get prefect results running my intel nuc with only a fast kaby lake cpu with integrated gpu. or using my msi with nvidia 1060...

rest is handled by the capture cards.

and of course the good work of Martin who is keeping the cpu footprint of vmix very low.

stefan
jvphobic  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 2, 2017 11:16:32 AM(UTC)
jvphobic

h2video.nl wrote:
interesting, but maybe we should look at what vmix needs first... I get prefect results running my intel nuc with only a fast kaby lake cpu with integrated gpu. or using my msi with nvidia 1060...

and of course the good work of Martin who is keeping the cpu footprint of vmix very low.

stefan

I agree with you stefan. But I also look at the recommendations for Vmix. My desired workflow is: Pull in 2 or 3 rtmp streams, push out to 2 different YouTube pages, Instant replay on the 2 or 3 streams and locally record. So, I am looking at the future mostly.
Ittaidv  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 2, 2017 2:41:40 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
h2video.nl wrote:

stefan

It really depends on what your need is. We now finished a small kit which handles 5 inputs for quick deployment, but also need one that can handle like 10+ HD inputs, or run 8 multicorders at the same time. If you look at large sports productions, they often have an insane amount of inputs, it would be cool if vmix could handle this one day.

This time however, I'm not gonna be as quick as with x99, where we bought into it too soon, to see afterwards it wasn't the monster configuration we hoped for.
h2video.nl  
#9 Posted : Saturday, June 3, 2017 1:57:52 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

.interesting, 8 multicorders... all on one machine?

the main advantage of vmix is its small footprint and price. flexibility is key, I tend to seperate processes on different machines depending on the type of production. I have the experience that putting all activities in 'one basket' one one machine is too risky.

the more inputs, the more demand, recording and replay etc, the more need for seperation. In that case if there is some kind of issue on one part you can seperate that part ( restart, adjust ) without directly influencing the rest.

then there is the issue of redundancy. the core of the operation, mixing, should be set up redundant. other proceses ( in my view ) should be set up in the periferal. thus resulting in 2 or 3 4 core machines so alteady on a 12 or 16 core set up....

stefan
Yamato  
#10 Posted : Saturday, June 3, 2017 6:20:36 AM(UTC)
Yamato

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
element wrote:
Honestly, AMDs Threadripper with 16 cores/32 threads and 64 PCIe lanes on the whole stack is going to be a much better value. I see little reason to stick with Intel.

Considering how Vmix runs with Ryzen:
https://forums.vmix.com/...ts&m=37401#post37401

I personnaly don't have high hopes with Threadripper.
And not mentionning the fact that 64 PCIe lanes are a bit overkill too :)

The only interest with AMD would be the price, but we can see that Intel got a little more reasonnable with the 18-cores at the same price than the 10-Cores 6950X, so it's a good start imho.

I'm still very cautious though, X99 was very shaky sometime with my productions, so i'll probably won't invest before i see some tests with the new platform.
h2video.nl  
#11 Posted : Saturday, June 3, 2017 5:07:03 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

this is a nice thread because it brings us to the core, of what vmix is and its place in the market.

if vmix would be to aim for high end it would come in the area of dedicated systems like bmd atem etc. they control all hardware components. vmix does not. so we have to be smart.

the main advantage of vmix is its price value and flexilibily. so no problem to use 2 or 3 systems side by side if needed. the power and possibilities you have are awsome. no way you hook up 3 bmd systems. but with vmix you can.

brings me to the point of being able to connect vmix systems internally, p.e. by a tb3 bridge or some dedicated connection where you can daisy chain multiple vmix systems at will. one for the inputs, multicorder if needed, replays and one for mixing, a third for recording or streaming, all working as one,

this way you have your 12 or 16 core system and optimize input cards etc.

what do you think: worth a feature request?

stefan