logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Basel  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 13, 2017 10:54:02 PM(UTC)
Basel

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi,

I was thinking of moving my vmix to another computer and I though it would be nice to have the ability to export all related files to a single folder, I know I can take care of this situation by collecting my files from a single folder before hand, but I've imported lot's of files from so many drives/folders in my system.

Maybe if there is an option to encapsulate files into the project it would be a nice idea, Another approach is to have an option to consolidate all files to a single folder, what do you guys think?

Cheers,

Basel
thanks 2 users thanked Basel for this useful post.
clafarge on 6/11/2017(UTC), MWilson on 6/21/2017(UTC)
richardgatarski  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 19, 2017 4:56:06 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Hi Basel,
I think we have thought about this in the Feature Request Easy way to develop remotely and "package and go"?
DWAM  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 19, 2017 8:42:11 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
I'm certainly very old-fashioned, but I find it so much easier to create a vmix projects folder on all my vmix computers, always on disk D:, always with the exact same name, and to create a folder for each project in it with all required files for the project.
Basic rule is to never add a media in vMix if it is not already in this directory. If not a simple copy and paste is not a big deal!
This way, I can easily move my projects from one computer to another, as well as archive entirely any project without missing a single file.

Very old-fashioned but effective... I believe in methodology...
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
sinc747 on 9/16/2017(UTC)
clafarge  
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 11, 2017 11:43:17 AM(UTC)
clafarge

Man
United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
richardgatarski wrote:
Hi Basel,
I think we have thought about this in the Feature Request Easy way to develop remotely and "package and go"?

That's a general discussion... this is a feature request. I posted my thoughts to that, but I'll also share here as it's an actual feature request in the feature requests board.

It's discouraging that that conversation occurred 3 years ago and there's still no simple packaging tool (that I'm aware of). While a pro would pick up plenty of tricks/workarounds to make moving presets work easily, in my opinion, they should not have to do so. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a method to package your presets.

The process could simply be to create your preset as you normally do and when you have what you need, Package Preset would:
► iterate through all linked resources for a file inventory
► use the inventory to identify files with the same name and map those to unused names
► use the inventory to copy the file assets from the current location to the new Preset's assets folder, using the new name where needed
► adjust the link to each resource to the relative path to the new preset's assets folder and new name where needed
► save
► possibly zip the resulting package

Other (unnamed) tools provide similar functionality, and it makes them easier to work with in terms of having to switch between multiple streaming rigs.

I hope this is helpful,

Chad
MWilson  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 21, 2017 9:15:27 AM(UTC)
MWilson

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
+1 - Great idea and think it'd be a neat addition. Something similiar to Premiere's Project manager where you can pack all your files, resources, settings, etc into a ZIP.