logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
grDancer  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2017 7:16:18 AM(UTC)
grDancer

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm planning a livestream tomorrow night for my band. It's an event in partnership with a charity, and in order to reach their followers as well as ours, we are streaming live to BOTH our facebook pages at once. I have a couple of questions.

1. Does anyone do this routinely? I'd like to know if Facebook penalises content which is being streamed simultaneously to two accounts. (e.g. with reduced visibility, or other sanctions).
2. We usually stream live to facebook and Youtube, but since I'm doing it to two facebook accounts, I don't want to risk the bandwidth being eaten up by trying to stream to youtube as well. Am I right in thinking that the more places you stream to, the more upload bandwidth it uses?

I'd love to hear any thoughts or tips on how to use VMIX to maximize the exposure and interaction.

I also use vmix social to filter a hashtag feed from twitter, or a comments feed from a facebook post. I can't find a way to include a feed from more than one facebook post though. Obviously, the charity facebook page stream will have a comments feed as well as the stream on our band's page.

Ittaidv  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2017 8:00:16 AM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
We produce at least 4-5 livestreams every week.

We do it on 2 channels for example in case an artist only agrees to be livestreamed if it is on his own Facebook channel.

What works the best, is streaming it on one page, and sharing it with the others we noticed.

I don't have exact numbers, but I'm 100% sure the sharing strategy works the best and splitting over multiple Facebook lives is penalised a bit somehow.

We use restream.io with a pro account. This way we only send 1 signal and don't risk bandwidth problems on location. From restream we can distribute with our pro account to multiple channels.

For many festivals we use the combination of Youtube and sometimes twitch or dailymotion (continious livestream) and Facebook live (smaller chunks, for example: per concert/act/artist/speech). Since you can start them individually from restream, there are no interruptions in the youtube and twitch livestreams.

A good example for spreading are the livestreams we do for a local Belgian DJ regularly.
He hosts a monthly event, and with his Facebook page which counts 10k likes, he reaches over half a million people and sometimes over 100k views. The key is to have partnerships and page admin of larger related facebook pages. And have a team that posts the link as soon as we are online.

When we are on festivals, we stream on the festival page, and ask artists to share the link.

Pro tip: add your production team's facebook page in the tags, it can deliver you a lot of likes ;)

thanks 2 users thanked Ittaidv for this useful post.
grDancer on 5/12/2017(UTC), rowby on 2/19/2018(UTC)
grDancer  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2017 11:47:59 AM(UTC)
grDancer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
This is helpful advice, thanks a lot. You seem to be operating at a larger scale than we are! (both pages we're considering using have around 2.5k likes).

I actually just ran a test stream on the facebook pages, and set vMix privacy settings to "Only Me" but somehow it still appeared publicly on the pages...That was weird. Does anyone know why that happened?
Ittaidv  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2017 5:22:55 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
For small scale events the same strategy applies. Next week for example we do something for a fire brigade. We asked them to gain acces to as many local fire department facebook pages as possible so we can spread the livestream well. Also to send a newsletter with a link towards the youtube event amongst all their contacts, and to make deals with websites, fora and groups of people who are related to emergency services. They will also ask the full public of the speeches to share the livestream, and offer them a goody bag in return for a share.

This way we can maximise the reach of their livestream towards a relevant audience.
thanks 1 user thanked Ittaidv for this useful post.
grDancer on 5/13/2017(UTC)
richardgatarski  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 19, 2017 5:42:30 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
grDancer wrote:
I actually just ran a test stream on the facebook pages, and set vMix privacy settings to "Only Me" but somehow it still appeared publicly on the pages...That was weird. Does anyone know why that happened?

I believe this is a bug. Please check out Bug? Facebook streams privacy settings does not work properly and add a comment there.