logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Doug  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 2:33:55 PM(UTC)
Doug

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
First off... I absolutely LOVE vMix and talk it up to my broadcast peers all the time. It works better than advertised...
still, I have a question or two on being able to make faster switches while recording LIVE events.
Recently, I taped 2 little league baseball games, but found, because of being a "One-Man Band" (meaning I do it all by myself: cameras, audio, graphics and switching) I am in need of either another pair of hands OR an easier way to move between multiple modules and graphics...and since an extra pair of hands is not an option, I need some quick tips.
My problem was I had the names of 20 + kids listed in individual modules in addition to the 2 camera modules, an audio module, a scoreboard and 7 commercial modules.
There was quite a bit of bouncing around between all the names and things.
It got quite confusing at times which means mistakes were made which means I had to go back an edit out the mistakes I made before putting it on TV.

Is there an easier/faster way to maneuver around between all those modules???

I used the double layer mode this last time, but still had to scroll back and forth or up and down to find a players name and it made my preview and On-Air screens smaller and harder for me to see what was being recorded.

Is there a way to move the modules around in the window after they have been created?

By that I mean, it might be easier to create all the modules and then group them together afterwards.
Is there a way to create folders?
For instance, I could put all the players names from one team in one folder and the other players names in a different folder and only have the team folder I need open while in use. that would free up some space on the program preview page.

Also, I saw someone had posted about the possibility of a better character generator...
While the xaml format works fine for a slower paced event, in covering sports, there were times it took me more than 30 or 40 seconds to change the score of the game, which, again, means I had to go back and edit out those blank 30 or 40 seconds.

Is there a faster way to change scores?
Is there an separate outside character generator or software program compatible with vMix I can use? One that I can just leave as an open module?

AGAIN, I really LOVE vMix and plan on using it for years to come... just asking some questions.

Thanks all.... Can't wait for version 10.

Thanks,
Doug
doyousee.me  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 2:51:37 PM(UTC)
doyousee.me

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
i found that it's sometimes more convenient to use the quicklink bar and or website (i have had my programmers build me an app that has configurable buttons and an rtsp client to view the output (albeit a bit delayed) )

M@ik
Doug  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 3:18:45 PM(UTC)
Doug

doyousee.me wrote:
i found that it's sometimes more convenient to use the quicklink bar and or website (i have had my programmers build me an app that has configurable buttons and an rtsp client to view the output (albeit a bit delayed) )

M@ik

M@ik... Do you have something we can look at to see if it is something we can configure (an example or pictures). Sounds very promising.

-Doug
Egriswold  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 5:25:28 PM(UTC)
Egriswold

Man
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 32 post(s)
I would edit one of the title templates to match your color pallet.
then enter all the names along with number in numerical order.
once they are entered it's just a matter of right clicking on the single module
and the list will popup allowing you to chose a ball player.
Egriswold  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 5:45:47 PM(UTC)
Egriswold

Man
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 32 post(s)
As for the scoreboard there are a few programs out there such as (http://www.pcscoreboards.com/baseballscoreboardpro/)
you could run this on the secondary monitor or network computer and use the desktop capture utility to grab, size, crop and position.
I have done similar type of thing with different programs such as specialty clocks.
Damn2Good4U  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 5:58:06 PM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Man

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Doug wrote:
First off... I absolutely LOVE vMix and talk it up to my broadcast peers all the time. It works better than advertised...
still, I have a question or two on being able to make faster switches while recording LIVE events.
Recently, I taped 2 little league baseball games, but found, because of being a "One-Man Band" (meaning I do it all by myself: cameras, audio, graphics and switching) I am in need of either another pair of hands OR an easier way to move between multiple modules and graphics...and since an extra pair of hands is not an option, I need some quick tips.
My problem was I had the names of 20 + kids listed in individual modules in addition to the 2 camera modules, an audio module, a scoreboard and 7 commercial modules.
There was quite a bit of bouncing around between all the names and things.
It got quite confusing at times which means mistakes were made which means I had to go back an edit out the mistakes I made before putting it on TV.

Is there an easier/faster way to maneuver around between all those modules???

I used the double layer mode this last time, but still had to scroll back and forth or up and down to find a players name and it made my preview and On-Air screens smaller and harder for me to see what was being recorded.

Is there a way to move the modules around in the window after they have been created?

By that I mean, it might be easier to create all the modules and then group them together afterwards.
Is there a way to create folders?
For instance, I could put all the players names from one team in one folder and the other players names in a different folder and only have the team folder I need open while in use. that would free up some space on the program preview page.

Also, I saw someone had posted about the possibility of a better character generator...
While the xaml format works fine for a slower paced event, in covering sports, there were times it took me more than 30 or 40 seconds to change the score of the game, which, again, means I had to go back and edit out those blank 30 or 40 seconds.

Is there a faster way to change scores?
Is there an separate outside character generator or software program compatible with vMix I can use? One that I can just leave as an open module?

AGAIN, I really LOVE vMix and plan on using it for years to come... just asking some questions.

Thanks all.... Can't wait for version 10.

Thanks,
Doug

Hello,

I find this in another forum and i think the best solution is for you to have the teamname build for you using the vMix API to control as in the diagram below:

UserPostedImage

I think this helps, there are programmers here that will do that for you for a fee.. Macjaeger is one of them...

regards,
Rottimmy
martinw  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:16:43 AM(UTC)
martinw

Hi,
I'm currently a one man band so I know what it's like!!

You can update the scores with a single keystroke using shortcut keys, one for the home team, and one for the away team.

Set up the shortcut, and put +=1 in the value field. Then a single keypress adds 1 to the score. (You might want to have a -=1 key as well just in case!!)

regards
Martin
Doug  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:43:53 AM(UTC)
Doug

All very good suggestions so far. I am trying them all out as I write. Keep them coming....Your knowledge and expertise is appreciated.
-Doug
IceStream  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 10:07:34 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
Martinw's suggestion of using the shortcut keys is bang on... get familiar with the shortcut key options.
Secondly, load your graphics into appropriately designated folders, i.e. home team and away team, if you know the line-up and the batting order I would try to order them numerically (1-9) as windows may try to order them alphabetically. Input your graphics as "photos" and load the entire folder as one input, then it is just a matter of cycling through the graphics, again with shortcut keys this can be accomplished which will reduce the need to navigate the GUI and help to de-clutter your screen estate. Hot keys for each type of overlay and adjusting scores and doing instant replays is the only way to go!

Best of luck, keep experimenting and send us a link, would love to see how you make out.

Ice
martinw  
#10 Posted : Friday, June 28, 2013 3:29:46 PM(UTC)
martinw

Not sure if this helps, but with regard to the player names, you can set up keyboard shortcuts F1-F10 for home team, and 1-10 for away.

You then have just one title/text input.

F1 is created as a shortcut key which does a settext on the text input, with a value of "Fred Bloggs", assign F2 for the next player and so on.

Show the title/text as an overlay, and then a single keypress displays the relevant players name instantly. You just need a list handy (dare I say on a piece of paper!!), showing which player is on which key. (Maybe have a key to blank out the value altogether?)

Not sure you'd get time to add/change players during a game - I assume you know them all in advance?

Doug  
#11 Posted : Friday, June 28, 2013 3:40:44 PM(UTC)
Doug

Am still testing all your ideas out and learning to use shortcut keys which, I have to admit, I was having a hard time with until I made myself sit down for a few hours to play around with. So far so good. I will keep you posted!
-Doug
fenki86  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:54:23 AM(UTC)
fenki86

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I was looking for an easier workaround too to put in the lineups. I just configured the HDText-Title and added a background.

Then I changed the attributes (text allignment, font, font size) and now I am able to copy the roster out of a text file and add paste it directly into the title editor provided by vMix.

Here's a preview: https://dl.dropboxuserco...79243/lineup_overlay.jpg
thanks 1 user thanked fenki86 for this useful post.
Doug on 8/1/2013(UTC)
Doug  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, July 31, 2013 9:52:59 AM(UTC)
Doug

fenki86 wrote:
I was looking for an easier workaround too to put in the lineups. I just configured the HDText-Title and added a background.

Then I changed the attributes (text allignment, font, font size) and now I am able to copy the roster out of a text file and add paste it directly into the title editor provided by vMix.

Here's a preview: https://dl.dropboxuserco...79243/lineup_overlay.jpg

Excellent... Unfortunately I only use the SD version at the moment.
IceStream  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, July 31, 2013 8:51:01 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Doug
All the vMix Titles work for both HD and SD...

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
Doug on 8/1/2013(UTC)
admin  
#15 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2013 2:06:05 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
If you guys work out some good ideas to make things easier for sporting events, please post those suggestions to the Feature Requests forum.
Now that vMix 10 is out, I will be going through the suggestions over the next few months.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
Doug on 8/1/2013(UTC)
doyousee.me  
#16 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2013 4:14:36 AM(UTC)
doyousee.me

I'm sorry for the late reply.

the software screenshot shown is much like we do.
but the default webinterfaceshortcuts work like a charm as wel

i just last weekend did a one man band livecast of dragracing, with me next to the track switching cameras from my mobile Phone and the webcontroller interface while operating a shouldercam. It works great, but you have to look at your screen to operate a touchscreen which influences the stability of the camera. So i have ordered a pi now, and will build a remote control with buttons and tally lights, and a small monitor with the output stream on it which can be mounted on top of my camera monitor.
(this new kit should be able to move my pantilt head as well remotely)

M@ik
Doug  
#17 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2013 10:43:48 AM(UTC)
Doug

"So i have ordered a pi now"

What is a pi?
doyousee.me  
#18 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2013 11:20:37 AM(UTC)
doyousee.me

sorry, i'm a nerd and think everyone else is too :)

a raspberry pi is a minicomputer that has a port to which you can connect switches or leds as inputs or outputs (this is oversimplified, i know)

i will connect a few switches and leds to it and write some script to control vmix through it's web-interface. I will also add some switches (or the same switches in a different program) as a remote control for my pantilt head

M@ik
thanks 1 user thanked doyousee.me for this useful post.
Doug on 8/1/2013(UTC)