logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jvphobic  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 4, 2017 12:51:20 PM(UTC)
jvphobic

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I am new to Vmix, having moved over from another software based switching application. This is the first production I did with Vmix alone.

Other than some mediocre camera work at times I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to make the broadcast more professional. Or questions?

My workflow is such:
1. Two Teradek Bond 2s onsite send the camera's streams to me at my studio.
2. Vmix pulls in both the 720 streams (4 meg bitrate) directly.
3. I use Vmix on one machine for switching, streaming, replay, recording, and graphics.
4. I then push a single stream to a Wowza server that distributes to all of our providers (YouTube, FB, & sometimes Twitch).

We are basically a 4 man crew. Two cameramen, one on air talent, and myself doing the switching. I have been learning this all on the fly, so any advice is appreciated.

I am thinking about upgrading my GTX650 video card to a 1060 or 1080 because I want to start doing multi-angle replays and upgrade to Vmix 4K.

Thanks for your time.
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 4, 2017 1:37:31 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi!

Impressive!!! I didn't know that sport...

Yeah apart from the camera work sometimes, your production is really interesting. The replay of women when men are not playing is clever...

Have you tried to use tripods instead of monopods?

I chromecasted it on my TV set, I think it's necessary to see it on big screens btw...

Congrats!
Guillaume
jvphobic  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 4, 2017 2:26:32 PM(UTC)
jvphobic

Thanks DWAM. It is much easier to see on a larger screen TV. Our "catch cam" guy is still very new so we are working on getting him used to finding the disc in screen. The problem with tripods are the quick and easy movement of our cameramen. I would like to get them setup with stabilization vests for movements when they need to happen.

Integrating the women's shots is a new thing for us this year. It helps fill time while players walk down the fairway.
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 4, 2017 2:47:22 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Great job!

The whole production is very precise, with your commentator, the ads, the highlights, everything goes smoothly.

Obviously more cams, some with longer zooms, could improve the coverage but I understand it's not easy.

2/3 remarks :
your scoreboards could be transitioned more smoothly (with a fade for example) and they could also be with transparency effect
I'm used to put my graphics with a bigger margin from the corners/borders and the logo is too big imho
I didn't like the PiP interview (too small), you could use multiview (with sponsors logo) instead

But again, congrats... Your workflow is clever and works great!

Can you tell us the reasons why you came to vMix? I think I already know, but anyway... ;o)

Guillaume

Ps: I understand the problem with tripods, but without the camera movements your production would be very close to TV quality.
richardgatarski  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 4, 2017 4:22:38 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Didn't watch the whole thing, but I'm impressed too. Nice job!

Stabilization vests (eg. Steadicams, or more generic staeadycams) are of course nice. But they require quite a bit of training. Maybe light tripods, where the leg length could easily be adjusted, is a better option.

I'm guessing that the cameramen are zooming via the camera's built in zoom rocker. If your cameras have a LANC connector I recommend a controller that makes it easier to make smooth zooming. See for example https://www.bhphotovideo...ols/ci/1889/N/4028759352

Did you have any intercom?
jvphobic  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 4, 2017 4:33:15 PM(UTC)
jvphobic

I came to Vmix for the replay option actually. I used to be a Wirecast user and didn't like their replay solution. WC has a much friendlier learning curve for someone with NO experience. But once I picked up Vmix, I realized that the options are SO much greater with the overlays, triggers, and replay. And it had NDI that wasn't available a few months ago elsewhere.

All the stat graphics are provided by a company that does the stats. We worked with them to create the graphics as well. It is just an NDI screengrab from another PC's webpage. I have a friend helping out who picks the graphics and lower thirds. Can you fade the overlays easily? I don't know if I have ever looked.

I will take your advice to shrink up the logo and add some transparency to the scoreboard. And I like the idea of the side/side multiview with the sponsor logos.

As far as better cameras... yeah that is the tough one. We are using Canon XF100s right now. I would love to go with something with a bigger zoom, but the dollars don't make sense yet. I think eventually a good camera with zoom and a tripod so our guys can be further away. We barely make any money on this, so it takes us a long time to save up for what we want to do. I would love to get into other streaming things like other sports, weddings, conferences and stuff. I just need to get my butt in gear. My fulltime job is too nice right now. :)
jvphobic  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 4, 2017 7:02:25 PM(UTC)
jvphobic

No true intercom, we are on a conference call with the whole crew. It is real bare bones stuff to keep costs down.

One of our guys is using a LANC, the new guy will be using it soon as well.

Any suggestions for a tripod?
DWAM  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 5, 2017 5:39:46 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Quote:
Any suggestions for a tripod?

It depends on your budget! Between $150 and $5000, there's a lot of choice! ;o)

Here you need a light but robust tripod and before all a very very fluid and precise head.

As a cheap solution, I will share a setup I experimented with.

This tripod is pretty good : https://www.amazon.com/R...ra-Tripod/dp/B00139W0XM/
This is chinese Weifeng rebranded
The legs are really solid and the weight is good enough for good stabilization
It has a bowl (here they say 75mm but mine are 60mm - maybe they changed?) which garanties a perfect and quick adjustment for horizontal balancing (I don't know the english term for this, in French we say "Make the bubble", please let me know the good word)

The head is just OK but not good enough for pro use, but it can be replaced by another head. Just make sure it is a 60 or 75mm bowl.

For the head, an affordable solution is https://www.amazon.com/M...-MVH502AH/dp/B006TZE0UQ/
Really not the best but good enough. One can adjust the pressure for both pan and tilt. Can be extremely smooth or rather resisting depending on the needs.

This makes a $300 tripod which is at least as good or better than most "Manfrotto only" solutions costing $600/700 and more.
If you need an extra bowl, it costs $20/30.

Guillaume
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
richardgatarski on 5/5/2017(UTC)
IceStream  
#9 Posted : Saturday, May 6, 2017 12:31:54 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ jvphobic

Thanks so much for sharing, I have to admit, I have heard of "Frisbee" golf as a pastime, but I was not aware there was an actual "Pro Tour" and professional disks and products for the sport. As a golfer, I find the golf terminology being used a little "off putting" and would have thought that the sport would have or could develop it's own phraseology, but I get it, it's disk G O L F...
In any event, like everyone else has stated, a very solid and impressive "live" broadcast from the field, which for me raises a gazillion questions with regards to your overall workflow and what challenges you faced in covering such a large area wirelessly. You mention two cameramen with Teradek Bonds, but it would seem there were more cameras involved (or at least there) at different times, a hand held is visible on some holes in addition to two on monopods and then there is a break at one point with the commentators on cam seemingly away from the foursome being followed. Another question I have is with regards to the "Studio" you mention, was this an OB van on location or a wired set-up nearby? And was this actually Live Streamed or simply recorded "Live"?
(as I said, I have a ton of questions but the bottom line is, you've done an awesome job)

Ice
jvphobic  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2017 12:00:18 PM(UTC)
jvphobic

IceStream. Those are all great questions.
1. There were 2 different crews onsite. Our crew doing the LIVE coverage and an additional crew doing post-produced edited coverage of the event (kinda like our version of NFL films).
2. My camera crew consists of 2 cameramen with Teradek Bond 2's attached to their Canon cameras. That pushes the camera stream over a bonded 4G cell signal to a server we host with Teradek. I grab the feed from my remote studio in Milwaukee, WI. With it only being 2 camera coverage, I only have 2 camera's to choose between. What we refer to as "Catch and Throw" cams.
3. Yes, it was totally live, all 3+ hours.

We don't have to wire up the entire park with wireless or fiber. We completely rely on the bonded 4G cell signal. If a location has good cell signal with any of the 3 major providers (Sprint, Verizon, ATT) then we can cover it. We usually do a site survey before the event to find any possible dead spots with the cell signal so we have a general plan when we get towards that area of the course.

As far as the terminology of the sport. We do borrow a lot from traditional golf. But like any sport, when you dig deeper in we have lots of our own jargon and terminology as well.

I am an open book, ask any questions you want. Everyone here has been so helpful that if I can return the favor, I am happy to.