logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Stix  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 15, 2017 9:14:05 AM(UTC)
Stix

Groups: Registered

Not sure if this can be done already somehow (newbie) but I'd like a simple way to be able to freeze (pause) a live input or NDI source and then also to unfreeze when ready to return live. My specific use is for a NDI sports (Darts) results screen grab so that the results can be overlayed live on screen for the game just ended - trouble is the scoreboard laptop opertor needs to set up the next game so the results can then dissapear at any time or while being viewed on the live output hence the need to "freeze" or grab the input image before going live with it.
zenvideo  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 15, 2017 9:45:09 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
I don't know if a temporary "freeze frame" feature exists but, if so, I've not come across it yet.

However, if it's not in vMix already, and you only need it for NDI sources, it would be easy enough to add to my NDI RTx application (which receives and re-transmits NDI streams). If no-one else comes up with a better solution I could add it this weekend.
DWAM  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 15, 2017 10:06:31 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi and welcome to the vMix community

I can think of 2 solutions:

- first one is to make a script that makes a snapshot of output, then load the image file as an input and puts it in PGM (or directly in your xaml title) so that you can overlay your title. This requires 4K or Pro licence.
- second is to use video delay feature (very short, let's say 2 sec), save the portion you want for PGM and then pause it or use loop

Hope this helps
Guillaume

PS @Martin: your idea is great!
ovinas  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 15, 2017 11:39:50 AM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
... or just add buttons to freeze live inputs and perhaps pgm/fullscreen...
Would be very helpful in conference setups with capturing inputs from notebooks with PowerPoint/Prezi.
richardgatarski  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 15, 2017 1:23:37 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
...or search the Forum for same/similar requests ;)
For example Freeze button
zenvideo  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 15, 2017 1:45:19 PM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
OK, for NDI sources requiring a Freeze Frame, I've added a Freeze button to my NDI RTx app.

What you would do is select the NDI stream as the source in RTx, and then use the NDI output from RTx as the NDI source input in vMix.

The Freeze function is in v1.0.3.x of RTx which can be downloaded from this page:- ZEN NDI apps
It's mainly the same as the previous versions of NDI RTx, except the Freeze button replaces the Refresh button and the "indicator light" next to it will flash red/green when the output is frozen. There's a ReadMe in the download package and some other notes on my NDI web page.
thanks 2 users thanked zenvideo for this useful post.
DWAM on 4/15/2017(UTC), Stix on 4/16/2017(UTC)
DWAM  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 15, 2017 3:24:46 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Thanks Martin I will try this asap.

In the meantime, I wrote a basic script that does the trick pretty well with a steady shot (as indicated by Stix)

I called this webscript "Freeze2PGM" and defined a shortcut for it.

Code:

Function=RemoveInput&Input=snapshot.png
Function=Snapshot&Value=snapshot.png
Function=AddInput&Value=Image|e:\vMixStorage\snapshot.png
Sleep 200
Function=ActiveInput&Input=snapshop.png

The use of Sleep seems to smoothen the process. Maybe a shorter value is OK.

By default, snapshots are saved to recording folder. Just adapt the path for AddInput line to your settings.

It's also possible to use the same principle for feeding the title with the snapshot directly. In this case no need to add the PNG as an input, simply use command "SetImage" with Title.

Guillaume
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
Stix on 4/16/2017(UTC)
Stix  
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2017 12:28:09 AM(UTC)
Stix

ovinas wrote:
... or just add buttons to freeze live inputs and perhaps pgm/fullscreen...
Would be very helpful in conference setups with capturing inputs from notebooks with PowerPoint/Prezi.

Yep - That was the other time I would like a Freeze input function!

I might give Zenvideo's NDI freeze solution a go. Looks good. Note that freezing the OUTPUT is not a solution as I still have live camera video - I only need to freeze the overlay from a specific input hence the need for an INPUT freeze. Also - the input properties such as cropping, position, scale, Colour keying etc all need to remain the same for the frozen image so I'm not sure if the script solution will work either???

Thanks for the input so far everyone ..... I did search the forum before posting and there certinly are many other requests for a freeze function - and other similar solutions have also been suggested but I did say I was looking for a simple way to freeze/ unfreeze an input - Lets hope its a feature that can be added in the future.