logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Matt Mika  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2014 9:15:44 PM(UTC)
Matt Mika

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I'm currently using the trial version of vMix 12. I can open and manipulate inputs, chroma keying, the whole nine yards. Everything seemed like it would work quite well for my live production, so I wanted to run some test recordings and set up a video stream with Skype just to know that it works 100 percent.

The Skype works with no problems using a vMix video output on External 1. When I go to set up recording, I get the following error:

Unable to load DLL 'WMVCore.dll': The specified module could not be found.
UserPostedImage

I am running a copy of XP Pro 64 bit, and have found some things on the internet that might suggest this OS doesn't come with some files related to media. However, a working copy of Windows Media Player 10 installed along with this copy of Windows. Just in case, I installed a newer version (WMP 11) after receiving this error. I rebooted the machine, and WMP11 works just fine as well, but even after a new media player and a reboot, I still get this error in vMix. I have looked through Windows\SysWOW64\ and do in fact see the WMVCore.dll file.

I get the same error whether or not I have any inputs open. The first time I got it, I had some inputs open, but I closed out vMix and tried it again before doing anything else and it still shows up.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt
admin  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2014 11:07:37 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
Windows XP is not longer supported.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
Matt Mika  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 7, 2014 12:16:51 AM(UTC)
Matt Mika

Groups: Registered

Martin,

Thanks for the quick reply and for making something like vMix in the first place.

As for Windows XP, I know it isn't officially supported but the exact same hardware absolutely flies when paired with XP over newer versions, even Windows 7. A standard copy of 7 uses about 30+ percent of my RAM at startup, XP uses only 9. And so on, and so on. IMO, most revisions of operating systems don't offer significant advantages when the tradeoffs are so large in performance. That's why I dual boot a copy of XP64. I first learned this when processing real-time audio, as it's VERY easy to hear pops and clicks and so on when your system isn't running fast enough. Dual booting an older OS like XP 32 or 64 is a relatively common practice when it comes to real time processing.

I don't really care that Microsoft doesn't support XP anymore, I don't need a "metro" look or aero desktop, I just want a machine that I can squeeze every bit of performance out of. I don't worry about security as the systems I use are LAN based and behind hardware firewalls. Linux systems are my favorite for this, and it would be absolutely excellent to be able to run vMix from such a system, but I have already seen your responses on that and your reasoning.

So I figured since everything else in vMix 12 works perfectly for me on XP, that maybe there was a quick fix that someone here at the forums had used or heard about. I understand that you provide excellent support and that you can't waste time trying to fix software running on an old OS when that wasn't the intention.

Funny enough, I installed the same 64 bit trial software on that dual boot system into Win7 x64 and I have another problem with recording, although a completely different one, so I will start a new thread.

Thanks again for vMix and for the support.

Matt