logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dcoplin  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2022 3:22:38 AM(UTC)
dcoplin

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Scenario is I'm running a live stream and I won't be able to get to the vMix console while the stream is live. All of the scenes are created and ready to go, but I have a placeholder for a couple of images that will change while the stream is running. I want to have a colleague upload the new images to a share during the show that will automatically be rendered in the scene that they're used in when the scene gets activated.

I know I'm probably missing something obvious, but I just can't seem to figure out how to make this work and I can't think of what such a feature might be called so I've struggled to find anything already written about it?

What have I missed?

Thanks!
doggy  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2022 3:26:43 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 916 time(s) in 755 post(s)
Idea,
Try using a GT title to hold the image and connect a datasource to it (the person uploading the images also puts the link to it in the datasource file so the title update is automatic )

from the helpfiles:
If your title includes an image field, this can also be assigned to a data source.

The data source text data must be either a full URL or file path in order to load correctly.

For example
http://www.example.com/image.jpg
c:\images\logo.png
thanks 1 user thanked doggy for this useful post.
dcoplin on 1/18/2022(UTC)
pablodna  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 15, 2022 1:10:51 AM(UTC)
pablodna

Argentina

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Other idea:

Your colleague can have a Zoom session open (or whatever system you prefer) and share the screen where the images will change.

From the operation side, have another PC (in the same zoom meeting) and receive those images then send that signal through NDI to Vmix

It is a bit more complicated and requires more resources. But it is another solution.

Greetings!
thanks 1 user thanked pablodna for this useful post.
WaltG12  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 15, 2022 8:28:59 PM(UTC)
WaltG12

United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dcoplin Go to Quoted Post
Scenario is I'm running a live stream and I won't be able to get to the vMix console while the stream is live. All of the scenes are created and ready to go, but I have a placeholder for a couple of images that will change while the stream is running. I want to have a colleague upload the new images to a share during the show that will automatically be rendered in the scene that they're used in when the scene gets activated.

I know I'm probably missing something obvious, but I just can't seem to figure out how to make this work and I can't think of what such a feature might be called so I've struggled to find anything already written about it?

I'm a bit confused.

I just tried overwriting an image file that was being used as an input, and, as I expected, it immediately updated that input to the new file.

Is something different happening on your end?
thanks 1 user thanked WaltG12 for this useful post.
pablodna  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 15, 2022 11:55:15 PM(UTC)
pablodna

Argentina

Originally Posted by: WaltG12 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: dcoplin Go to Quoted Post

I'm a bit confused.

I just tried overwriting an image file that was being used as an input, and, as I expected, it immediately updated that input to the new file.

I ran a test. Some conclusions

It happens that if a image is created in Photoshop (for example), saved as PNG and added later as an input in Vmix And If we then change the image and save from Photoshop again (overwriting the file) it automatically changes to the update image in VMIX.

However, if we take a file with the same name and overwrite it from the file explorer. The input keeps the old image.

Did you do it directly from the file explorer?
thanks 1 user thanked pablodna for this useful post.
WaltG12  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 16, 2022 12:05:17 AM(UTC)
WaltG12

United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: pablodna Go to Quoted Post
I was testing and it happens that if a image is created in Photoshop, saved as PNG and added later as an input in Vmix And If we then change the image and save from Photoshop again (overwriting the file) it automatically changes to the update image in VMIX.

However, if we take a file with the same name and overwrite it from the file explorer. The input keeps the old image.

What version of Windows are you on?

I'm on 10, and neither 10, nor any version of Windows I've used in memory, has allowed overwriting an image from File Explorer.

Windows 10, like every version prior that I recall using, gives you a choice between appending a (2) onto the new file & not renaming it at all. The only way to overwrite the image is by going through a formal save process.

So I'm curious what version of Windows you're using that's even letting you overwrite a file from File Explorer.

If I delete the original image first, which is the only way Windows 10 will allow me to use that name for a new file without going through a Save/Save As, it still updates in vMix as expected.
thanks 1 user thanked WaltG12 for this useful post.
dcoplin  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2022 8:55:27 AM(UTC)
dcoplin

United Kingdom

Yeah - nothing happens. I have to reboot vMix to get the update to flow through into production. How weird, wonder if I'm missing a setting?
dcoplin  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2022 8:57:53 AM(UTC)
dcoplin

United Kingdom

What version of Windows are you on?

I'm on 10, and neither 10, nor any version of Windows I've used in memory, has allowed overwriting an image from File Explorer.

Windows 10, like every version prior that I recall using, gives you a choice between appending a (2) onto the new file & not renaming it at all. The only way to overwrite the image is by going through a formal save process.

So I'm curious what version of Windows you're using that's even letting you overwrite a file from File Explorer.

If I delete the original image first, which is the only way Windows 10 will allow me to use that name for a new file without going through a Save/Save As, it still updates in vMix as expected.

Hmmm, I'm on 10 too, I can't believe why it works for others and not me (yeah, yeah, I'm beginning to suspect the interface between the keyboard and the chair too - let me run some more tests...)

Thanks!

dcoplin  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2022 8:58:58 AM(UTC)
dcoplin

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: pablodna Go to Quoted Post

Did you do it directly from the file explorer?

Yeah, it was through File Explorer - I'm going to try some different scenarios and see what I've missed.

Thanks for your help!

pablodna  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2022 10:01:12 AM(UTC)
pablodna

Argentina

I couldn't overwrite the image from the file explorer! I think it was misunderstood.

The only way I was able to get the image to update in Vmix was by overwriting the image from Photoshop.

What you can do is have your colleague use some image editor and overwrite the image in the shared folder.